XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
jimbro80
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 18SDrive

18SDrive Clutch Judder

Hello, I have been driving my 18SDrive for 6 months and covered 13K miles, I have noticed some clutch judder from new but thought nothing of it, but it is getting gradually worse. Not just on hill starts but on flat take off's too.

I am going to get the dealer to take look at it but has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
Dark-Sider
X1 driver
Germany
Rep
Drives: X1 1.8d sDrive

Hi,

my 18SDrive has the same thing. Some times when you accelerate within the first gear it feels like the car wobbles and juggles fore and back.

Many BMWs with manual transmission have this issue. You can have your clutch exchanged, it is also said that there is a software update that compensates for this issue, because it might be some software issue not the clutch itself.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 05:10 AM   #3
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbro80 View Post
Hello, I have been driving my 18SDrive for 6 months and covered 13K miles, I have noticed some clutch judder from new but thought nothing of it, but it is getting gradually worse. Not just on hill starts but on flat take off's too.

I am going to get the dealer to take look at it but has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks.
Hey Jimbro,

Not a problem here after 24k and one year.
      02-24-2011, 07:00 AM   #4
miami.m
Registered
Rep
Drives: x1 1.8 s drive

Thumbs down

My 1.8 S Drive is now on it's third clutch and as many reprogs after only 7000 miles. It's a lot better after the last change but it feels to be getting worse again. At least it has stopped stalling when pulling off though. For now. Initially said it was my driving till it did it on there technician as well. I don't think BMW know what is causing it. New flywheel next apparently.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #5
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Sorry to hear that, hope they sort it soon
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 08:39 AM   #6
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami.m View Post
My 1.8 S Drive is now on it's third clutch and as many reprogs after only 7000 miles. It's a lot better after the last change but it feels to be getting worse again. At least it has stopped stalling when pulling off though. For now. Initially said it was my driving till it did it on there technician as well. I don't think BMW know what is causing it. New flywheel next apparently.
Even BMW might produce a lemon here and there I guess...
      03-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
Kres7787
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sD 18d JB

Can't be sDrive 18d exclusive issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
alexmcred
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 318d GT M Sport

My 18d sdrive has this too has been in for re-programming. But i've noticed on cold mornings and in reverse it's quiet bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
Kres7787
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Any sDrive 18d owners without this issue? Bummer guys
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 03:20 AM   #10
jmtm
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: mini cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami.m View Post
OOOOOHH my God i've ordered an sdrive 18d
      03-06-2011, 04:54 AM   #11
Kres7787
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtm View Post
OOOOOHH my God i've ordered an sdrive 18d
And I am about to

Not that I got 3k EUR extra on top of everything to get 20d... But how can a clutch be related to the engine?

And guys with 18d clutch disorder, can you please say a bit about your driving habits? Do you have normal longer driving routines (longer then 10 minutes in directions for instance)? Do you use it for short drives usually?

Last edited by Kres7787; 03-06-2011 at 07:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #12
nockenpaul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

This problem is not an individual 18d issue, it appears on all current 4 stroke diesel engines used in the 1series, 3series and the X1. The cause is not the clutch itself. AFAIK the cause are longitudinal oscillations of the crankshaft. Replacing the clutch usually doesn't solve the problem in the long run. But it's possible to fix the problem for a while, by letting the clutch slip for a few seconds.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 05:40 AM   #13
alexmcred
Private
Ireland
Rep

Have it booked into the dealer on Friday for them to look at it again.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 07:11 AM   #14
Denny Swift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 992GTS; '20 Porsche Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nockenpaul View Post
This problem is not an individual 18d issue, it appears on all current 4 stroke diesel engines used in the 1series, 3series and the X1. The cause is not the clutch itself. AFAIK the cause are longitudinal oscillations of the crankshaft. Replacing the clutch usually doesn't solve the problem in the long run. But it's possible to fix the problem for a while, by letting the clutch slip for a few seconds.
Can you explain further. I thought judder (by definition) was caused by an issue with the friction between the flywheel and the clutch friction plate. "Gunk" on the surface(s), slighly warped/uneven surface(s), pressure plate springs that are too week or defective, or defective anti-chatter springs could cause judder. I don't see how crank vibrations could cause judder. Judder is not vibrations. Can you give more information so I can understand?

My Subaru had really bad judder when new. They replaced the clutch twice under warranty but it still wasn't right. Finally, Subaru redesigned the pressure plate, installed a 3rd one (under warranty as well) and it's been fine.

Blaming it on bad driving habits is nonsense, and slipping the clutch to lessen it, is certainly not a longterm solution.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 08:13 AM   #15
nockenpaul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest View Post
Can you explain further. I thought judder (by definition) was caused by an issue with the friction between the flywheel and the clutch friction plate. "Gunk" on the surface(s), slighly warped/uneven surface(s), pressure plate springs that are too week or defective, or defective anti-chatter springs could cause judder. I don't see how crank vibrations could cause judder. Judder is not vibrations. Can you give more information so I can understand?

My Subaru had really bad judder when new. They replaced the clutch twice under warranty but it still wasn't right. Finally, Subaru redesigned the pressure plate, installed a 3rd one (under warranty as well) and it's been fine.

Blaming it on bad driving habits is nonsense, and slipping the clutch to lessen it, is certainly not a longterm solution.
I'm not an expert on this, but I heard that judder can be caused by many factors. Regarding the N47 engine, the clutch normally is not the main cause of the problem. After replacing the clutch, the problem usually is absent for a few thousand kms, but after a while the judder reappears.

I think that the clutch surface gets more and more waved over time, because of some kind of oscillations which are the real cause of the problem.

Perhaps this document helps: http://www.schaeffler.com/remotemedi...loquium_en.pdf (page 23 ff.)
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #16
Kres7787
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This obviously isn't the case for everybody hm. Is it just bad luck?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #17
Denny Swift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 992GTS; '20 Porsche Spyder

Quote:
I'm not an expert on this, but I heard that judder can be caused by many factors. Regarding the N47 engine, the clutch normally is not the main cause of the problem. After replacing the clutch, the problem usually is absent for a few thousand kms, but after a while the judder reappears.

I think that the clutch surface gets more and more waved over time, because of some kind of oscillations which are the real cause of the problem.

Perhaps this document helps: http://www.schaeffler.com/remotemedi...loquium_en.pdf (page 23 ff.)
Wow 22 pages of a 180 page document on clutch chatter! Father Guido Sarducci would say, “It’sa da friction. Dat’s all you gotta know.”

Regardless, I’m sure BMW will retrofit the flawed part soon. Thanks for the information. Good luck to those having the problem. Judder is a very annoying problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 04:51 AM   #18
alexmcred
Private
Ireland
Rep

Update to this went back into dealer this morning they confirmed the judder was there and they are going to replace clutch and check the flywheel for any damage and will replace it if there is. There is a modified part for the car now which they will fit.

This is seemingly a common problem on the earlier x1's the modified part is fitted to newer x1's

They also gave me a 520d se as a loaner
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 06:34 AM   #19
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

super!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 05:11 AM   #20
alexmcred
Private
Ireland
Rep

Got my x1 back yesterday and no more judder
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 05:54 AM   #21
dimitris33
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Is this problem on the diesel engines only?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 06:44 AM   #22
alexmcred
Private
Ireland
Rep

I think so
Appreciate 0