Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero-2-sixty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Problem is, RWD and straight 6 means small cabin, the current X1 is a freakin shoe box inside, it can BARELY carry it's own wheels and tyres.
it is smallish inside but certainly big enough to fit 4 albeit a little snug. way better than a Nissan juke. try to sit in the back of that compact. BMW could have used a rear drive platform and upsized but not quite to the size of an X3. I hear that an X2 is in the pipeline so there may be some hope.
We all seem to be of different minds of the utility of the E84, some of us find it ideal, some were apparently shopping for Suburbans. But the current X3 honestly only feels wider, not more spacious or providing significant leg room improvements front or rear.

Isn't the X2 supposed to be just a dumbified F48, like the X4 and X6?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #46
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Four is a massive PITA, they don't fit straight up so need to lie down and they don't sit flat, half toppling on top of each other so you risk damaging wheels and need to cover them and other fuck arsing about.

$10 says this is WAY easier in the new model.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #47
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
We all seem to be of different minds of the utility of the E84, some of us find it ideal, some were apparently shopping for Suburbans. But the current X3 honestly only feels wider, not more spacious or providing significant leg room improvements front or rear.

There's a heck of a long way from an X1 to a suburban, come on. I took the X1 grocery shopping last week, the mrs had her big lawyer bag in the boot, no room for much else.

it's freakin small.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 02:54 PM   #48
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Quote:

last I read there will be a X2 M variant with performance on par with the GLA AMG. Maybe. its supposed to be out in 2017. if its on the same fwd platform, I'll probably pass. here's to hoping...again.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #49
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti
Quote:

There's a heck of a long way from an X1 to a suburban, come on. I took the X1 grocery shopping last week, the mrs had her big lawyer bag in the boot, no room for much else.

it's freakin small.
Funny, my wife keeps her lawyer bag and a mammoth baby bag back there, along with a random smattering of canvas grocery bags and we can hit Target, the regular grocery and Whole Foods without beginning to fill it up.

I sorta think we have different cars. We've taken numerous ten hour road trips, moved tons of stuff to storage and back home again and carried our kid, dog and parents all over. Anything bigger would honestly be wasted on us.

The size, weight and visibility out of the Macan are keeping us away and the 4GC just feels big. Again, an M135i would be ideal, but it's hard to convince a lawyer to move to the UK, take the barristers' exam and pay a ton of tax all for a car.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #50
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero-2-sixty
Quote:

last I read there will be a X2 M variant with performance on par with the GLA AMG. Maybe. its supposed to be out in 2017. if its on the same fwd platform, I'll probably pass. here's to hoping...again.
Given that the GLA45 and RS Q3 are fwd based, I can't see BMW going after them with anything but the F84 chassis.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 03:50 PM   #51
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep

X2 reply

Quote:
Given that the GLA45 and RS Q3 are fwd based, I can't see BMW going after them with anything but the F84 chassis.
Agreed.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 03:54 PM   #52
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Oops, make that F48. Nice and confusing that the new chassis is the dyslexic version of the old one. Sort of makes sense with the change in drive wheels though...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 03:54 PM   #53
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep

Size

Quote:

it's freakin small.
It's supposed to be small, it's a subcompact. Did you sell your 2012 yet? If not, what vehicle are you considering?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 07:09 PM   #54
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Personally I love all the changes they have made to the new X1. Just about every complaint I had about my current car has been addressed.

I had pretty much decided I was going to get a different vehicle when my lease is up next year, but now I could see myself getting another X1.

I do realize that there is a small percentage of X1 owners who bought their vehicles because they liked that the X1 could be kind of a performance type of hot hatch/wagon like a VW GTI of sorts. But understand that there is a reason why BMW decided to call it an X1. It is supposed to be a smaller version of the X3 & X5. That was its purpose in the BMW lineup. I think those that want a hot-hatch type of BMW would actually prefer the regular 1-series. But apparently there is not enough of you to make a business case for selling that car in the US as BMW only sells it in Europe. How about the new Golf R? I would definitely be looking at that if I wanted that kind of vehicle.

For me, I purchased the X1 because I need a more upright seating position than a regular hatch or sedan will provide because of a back injury I suffered. Otherwise I have a great deal of pain on longer trips. So the higher seating position of the new X1 is a big plus to me. I also love the new interior, way nicer than the current car.

As for the exterior looks, I like that it looks like a mini X3. I always thought the X3 looked nicer than the X1, but it was just bigger than what I needed and was too expensive for me. I had been thinking I was going to get a Mercedes GLA or Audi Q3 next time around, but now I think I will most likely be staying with BMW.

I love the look of the M-sport interior with the blue stitching in the leather. Hopefully I'll be able to swing an M-sport.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 09:27 AM   #55
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero-2-sixty View Post
It's supposed to be small, it's a subcompact. Did you sell your 2012 yet? If not, what vehicle are you considering?
Agreed, but they can get much more interior room with the same footprint by going FWD and the target owner will never even know.

It's leased, is up May next year. Mrs wanted to move to something a little more well specced, maybe nav and cameras for e.g. but we have a second sprog on the way sooooooo gonna need to keep that monthly payment down.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 09:15 PM   #56
Shock96
That was a hell of a thing...
Rep
Drives: 2013 xDrive 35i M Sport

You Alfa guys is crazy...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 09:38 PM   #57
leatherpants
Hide Encased Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i

I dunno, seems like more of a lateral move rather than an improvement. The present iteration won't win any beauty contests but at least it had a degree of uniqueness (in regards to styling). The new one looks too much like an X3 and about a dozen other compact SUVs out there.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 08:44 AM   #58
fw_fw
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 xDrive30i xLine Phytonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
Um, that's nice for those who live in Estoril, Portugal, I guess?
Estorilblau, as in the best color for BMWs.....
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 07:55 PM   #59
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
For the target market it just isn't, I never understood people trying to turn a small raised wagon into a performance vehicle, it'd need to be lowered to help with handling for a start.
You must not be a rally fan. Lowering a car only works on flat roads, not hilly terrain with bumps and potholes, which is where the fun is.

That I can toss my X1 around on country roads and have plenty of power is why I'm so pleased with it. I would never lower it - in fact, I would like to raise it just a smidge more.

I'll just leave this (driving starts at around 25 minutes in, and shows what driving is like around here, and why driving is so fun).

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 07:48 PM   #60
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:

it's freakin small.
The X1 is tiny. If I put a stroller in the trunk I can't get anything else in there. In my wife's Jettta Wagon I can get stroller, two suitcases, a travel crib and a couple of tote bags. And the Jetta has a lot more rear leg room. Jetta wagon is considered a compact wagon.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 09:21 PM   #61
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

it's freakin small.
We must have a different car, or you trunk is not empty. My mrs. is doing groceries on a weekly basis and you don't want to know how she brings the car home. Sometimes I do believe that she bought the whole store. Few times we used the space behind the front seats too; very good and safe for fragile stuff.
But, I am a very organized and clean freak guy; in my trunk you will find just the first aid kit on the lateral pocket and the oil change bottle in the other.
We love this guy. A lot!

Last edited by Teutonic; 06-13-2015 at 09:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 02:02 PM   #62
CVX1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Mineral Gray X1 x28i

This thread shows that people have unique needs. Must be some hyperbole going on or different standards of what "fit" means. With a stroller in the back of my X1 we can cram some other soft sided luggage in and if you remove the cargo tray you can fit more. We have one young child and on any weekend trip end up filling the back seats and floor with gear and we try to be relatively minimalist although admittedly that's with a stroller, baby backpack, pack and play and a few duffels.

It's pretty clear there are tradeoffs inherent in a vehicle of this size. We give up space in order to have the tidy dimensions and RWD platform. The new car makes different tradeoffs. I'm not sure if be in the market for the new car but I appreciate a lot of the changes that were made. I'm not a huge fan of the old exterior and think the new styling is significantly better. One of the two main things that drew me to the X1 - handling - is unlikely to measure up in he new model but I guess time will tell.

The other thing I would add is that the outgoing X1 really doesn't have much utility that a 3 series with a trunk couldn't replicate. The rear cargo space is so small compared to a normal sized trunk and most of the benefit of the hatch is in vertical space which is less likely to be used than the extra floor space in the trunk.

All that said, other than the fuel economy and soft paint, we have been happy with our X1!! May keep it for 10 years. Last chance to drive a hydraulic steering old school BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 05:57 PM   #63
jph1
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 28i xdrive

To me it seems like lots of improvements for livability. I'm sure it will sell in greater numbers than the current model.

I have a feeling that it will be less satisfying to drive for people that like the road feel and the type of balance/handling that is not usually found in this class of SUV.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 07:22 AM   #64
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVX1 View Post
This thread shows that people have unique needs. Must be some hyperbole going on or different standards of what "fit" means. With a stroller in the back of my X1 we can cram some other soft sided luggage in and if you remove the cargo tray you can fit more. We have one young child and on any weekend trip end up filling the back seats and floor with gear and we try to be relatively minimalist although admittedly that's with a stroller, baby backpack, pack and play and a few duffels.

It's pretty clear there are tradeoffs inherent in a vehicle of this size. We give up space in order to have the tidy dimensions and RWD platform. The new car makes different tradeoffs. I'm not sure if be in the market for the new car but I appreciate a lot of the changes that were made. I'm not a huge fan of the old exterior and think the new styling is significantly better. One of the two main things that drew me to the X1 - handling - is unlikely to measure up in he new model but I guess time will tell.

The other thing I would add is that the outgoing X1 really doesn't have much utility that a 3 series with a trunk couldn't replicate. The rear cargo space is so small compared to a normal sized trunk and most of the benefit of the hatch is in vertical space which is less likely to be used than the extra floor space in the trunk.

All that said, other than the fuel economy and soft paint, we have been happy with our X1!! May keep it for 10 years. Last chance to drive a hydraulic steering old school BMW.
What type of stroller do you own? I have a Bumbleride Indie and the stroller barely fits in the X1. I guess I should have picked the smallest stroller made. Kind of a joke that the vehicle is labeled and a Sports activity vehicle and you have to find the smallest car seat and stroller made to fit. I have the Cybex Anton 2 seat which is about the smallest seat and I can't fit in the front seat with the seat in the back.

Horrible gas mileage, tiny passenger space and cargo space. Driving is fun but I think if they want to sell any number of these vehicles in the U.S. big changes were needed. Either that or they should just lower it and call it a hatch back.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 09:07 AM   #65
cooombs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
What type of stroller do you own? I have a Bumbleride Indie and the stroller barely fits in the X1. I guess I should have picked the smallest stroller made. Kind of a joke that the vehicle is labeled and a Sports activity vehicle and you have to find the smallest car seat and stroller made to fit. I have the Cybex Anton 2 seat which is about the smallest seat and I can't fit in the front seat with the seat in the back.

Horrible gas mileage, tiny passenger space and cargo space. Driving is fun but I think if they want to sell any number of these vehicles in the U.S. big changes were needed. Either that or they should just lower it and call it a hatch back.
Seems to be a U.S. mindset. I see tons of these here in Ontario everyday and I just got back from Europe where I saw even more. I fit two car seats in the back no problem. It's definitely not a huge back seat by any stretch but I find it odder that you would buy this car and then say it's a joke that they call it this and the room is too small. Why would you buy it if you felt this way? I don't get it....
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 12:13 PM   #66
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post

This, everything this.
Appreciate 0