Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #67
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
My wife will be looking for a car in about 2-3 years and the LCI 528i was on our short list. If the only choice is a 4 banger '528i' or a 535i we'll probably look elsewhere.
If by elsewhere, you mean look at direct competitors to the BMW 5 series, don't be surprised if you find the same basic options: a 4 cylinder and a 6 cylinder (well, and a V8 too, sure), both with forced induction. There might still be some N/A 6 cyl around in this class by then, but they likely won't be here for long.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 09:28 AM   #68
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I am going to make a bold claim: most people don't care for the environment until 1) it hurts their pocket book, 2) acid rain comes down in their backyard. If they do we wouldn't need luxury or gas guzzler tax, or mandatory emission standards.
I would tend to agree, but lets add one more:

3) most people dont care what powers their car as long as performs.

You ask 100 random people what they car about more: acid rain or a four cylinder engine, honestly, who's going to say the engine?

Therefore, this engine switchover, by and large, will effect most people like a grapefruit shortage effects a shoe shiner: simply 100% irrelevance and total ambivolence. Sales will continue to be good for BMW, and most people will continue to love their entry level BMW's (in the US) just as they always have.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #69
Barrysydney
Rep
Drives: 2010 23xd

I am going to make a bold claim: most people don't care for the environment until 1) it hurts their pocket book, 2) acid rain comes down in their backyard. If they do we wouldn't need luxury or gas guzzler tax, or mandatory emission standards.[/QUOTE]

Sorry Robert, I don't agree with your claim. There are still many good people they care for the environment and do the right thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #70
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrysydney View Post

Sorry Robert, I don't agree with your claim. There are still many good people they care for the environment and do the right thing.
Yep, no reason not to enjoy our motoring as well as leaving something for the kids as well. It's called maturity and having a balanced and considerate outlook on life.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #71
mac_powah
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops128i View Post
the unique sound of the i6 was a major reason why I bought my 128i. without a i6, the car has less distinction.
I will second that! Though I have absolutely no problem with the new 4. I just like the fact that we were able to get it with a 3.0 I-6. What other car of that size is offered with a sweet 6 like that? Love it. I've always had 4cyl cars so now it was time to buy a 6.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 11:08 AM   #72
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRE90M3 View Post
Hyundai turbo powered engines are from a company whose been in the turbo fours even before my birth. Mitsubishi.
Yeah I have N54 and guess who made the Turbos on our beloved N54 335i & 335is yup same Mitsubishi. Now the question is, does sharing Turbo parentage with Hyundai (partially owned by Mitsubishi and gets engines from them too) make Hyundai your sibling of sorts. Oh wait, Hyundai is the illegitimate step child your dad never told you about.