XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-16-2014, 01:35 PM   #23
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

I was hoping for decent gas mileage accompanied by good acceleration for hill climbing and passing here in Westsylvania...we still make due with a lot of secondary roads with relatively short passing zones; even the 2 liter has plenty of power for that.
Noticed in another post that reference was made to the European habit of taxing by engine displacement, which has to be no small part of the move to smaller turbo'd engines.
moon
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #24
Royleblue
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 18d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Noticed in another post that reference was made to the European habit of taxing by engine displacement, which has to be no small part of the move to smaller turbo'd engines.
moon
This used to be the case in the UK, but in the last 10 years or so, vehicle taxation is based on CO2 emissions. This explains why diesels are so popular particularly for company cars. The bad press diesels have been getting lately over particulate emissions has pushed manufacturers towards more efficient petrol engines, like the VW 1.4 4 cylinder that runs on 2 cylinders when not under load.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 10:08 PM   #25
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Watched a bit of 'Meet the Press' today; the moderator went to some lengths to blame this winter's weather on 'Climate Change', or whatever they are calling it this week. 'Global warming' has taken a beating this winter, so I'm sure it's necessary to try to change the discussion.
Drove a friend's Jetta Diesel; if that is in any way indicative of the future of clean Diesel technology, then I'm for it. The older, unboosted versions were another matter.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 11:00 AM   #26
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Watched a bit of 'Meet the Press' today; the moderator went to some lengths to blame this winter's weather on 'Climate Change', or whatever they are calling it this week. 'Global warming' has taken a beating this winter, so I'm sure it's necessary to try to change the discussion.
Climate change and extreme weather as harbingers of overall global warming has been the scientific position for some time now. A few years ago there was a big disaster movie from the director who did Independence Day, "The Day after Tomorrow", and it was a climate change movie with the extreme weather being cold. A ridiculous movie but the point I'm making is, it wasn't just this winter that made people start using the term "climate change." Still, it boils down to overall global temps warming, so that's why the confusion about "global warming" and then why winters are getting harsher as well.

Now is there lock-down scientific proof that global climate change/warming is man-made? Controversial. And while we wait for a conclusive answer...hmm. You get the point.

Anywho I'm 58 and checking out in a few decades (my dad's still with us at 92). I'll let your kids deal with it ;-)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #27
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Whoever came up with the name "Global Warming" did a big disservice to the science community. I can't even tell you how many times in the past week someone has said "Global Warming? Look at all the snow this winter!".

Apparently the "warming" only takes place in certain places, but the overall average temperature of the planet increases slightly, and the result is basically more extreme weather as well as shifts in weather patterns.

Will this destroy the planet? Of course not. What it will do is simply shift the climate around. So places that were wet may become dry, and places where it was warm may become cold, etc. Sounds like no big deal on the surface, but if you look at where our population centers are, we have carefully chosen our cities in desirable locations. People are not going to be happy when their expensive beachfront property is underwater or when the price of their water bill increases 600% because the reservoirs are empty due to lack of rain. Be prepared also for more snow, rain, wind, tornados, hurricanes, floods, draughts, forest fires, etc. It has only just started.
Appreciate 0