Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-22-2015, 12:20 PM   #1
PleaseAdvise
///M-Sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 2.8 M-Sport LMB on CR

Question Lamin-X Installation tips?

Has anyone used the Lamin-x precuts for tail lights and headlights? Im having difficulty with the installed and ruined one of the precuts. The tail lights are giving me the most trouble. I just cant seem to get the cover to line up with the edges of the tail light due to the curve. I followed their instructions but It always seems to be too short or too long on one end. Anyone have any tips or what worked for you during the install?

I bought the precuts for my 2014 X1 Lightest tint for head lights and tail lights. I also got yellow fogs as well.

Edit- Also I managed to fold over a piece on my RR outer Tail and they were extremely prompt to respond by email. Within minutes of sending an email inquiring as to whether i could order an individual piece I had a excellent response. Jeff Smith who handled my ticket was very helpful. Also shipping for my initial order was EXTREMELY prompt.

Last edited by PleaseAdvise; 04-22-2015 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 12:48 PM   #2
mwtrogus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

They are great to deal with and great quality products...
I find it most helpful to use more water than you think you need(product can slide into place), it will all squeegee out and use a heat gun(low setting) to soften things up and work the corners and bends.
If all else fails, i'd go to a tint guy or someone that wraps cars. They will make quick work of it, but will probably tell you their tint film is better and blah blah blah...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 03:59 AM   #3
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
I once tried to install Laminx film to my WRX headlights. It did not work out well. :-(
      04-23-2015, 08:36 AM   #4
PleaseAdvise
///M-Sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 2.8 M-Sport LMB on CR

So I was going to do the headlights last night but ended up only getting the fogs done before it started to rain outside. Ill try to sneak some pictures of the car on my lunch break today if I can. Although I installled the lamin-x successfully on my car for fogs it looks like absolute shit. Nothing to do with the product BUT everything to do with who is installing it. (me)

Ive been told it looks ok but others but I am no where near satisfied. I screwed up bad and overestimated the amount of water for it and caused stuff to get caught in it. It looks like shit up close. The worst part is this IS NOT my first install but its been like amateur hour over here making rookie mistakes. I'm not giving up but i'm losing my damn mind trying to work with this plastic on something with such curves on it.