XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

12-06-2016, 07:07 AM   #1
bmwmike89
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, f10 m5

Anyone sell high end mattresses? (Vi-spring or Hastens)

Wife and I are looking at new mattresses. She happened to wander into a higher end store in downtown chicago and now only wants to get one of these mattresses. Wanting to get some honest opinions on them before I drop $5k for a mattress, which I think is ridiculous. But she has let me spent money on car parts she thinks is ridiculous so....ya know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 09:59 AM   #2
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

If you want to compare high end mattresses, side by side, Go to ABT in Glenview.

There is a lot of fluff in the mattress industry, no pun intended. The name associated with the mattress (i.e. beauty rest, iComfort, sleep master, etc.) is what one usually pays for. Manufactures "rebadge" the same mattress, selling at different prices to different consumers.

For example, the Serta mattresses in some hotels are identical to higher end Serta mattresses found in retail showrooms. However, the hotel mattresses don't have the branding that is on the retail showroom...

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't skimp on a mattress. But, a mattress can only be so good for you. Boutique mattresses (Vi-Spring, Hastens, Savoir, etcs) are nice mattresses...but so are Tempurpedic, Selectcomfort, Serta etc.

ABT carries some high end, handcrafted, $5K+ mattress brand. They also carry the other brands too. And you can sleep on them for an hour, and no one will bother you (speaking from personal experience).

Grab the wife, eat some Pita Inn, and go try some mattresses next weekend.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 10:37 AM   #3
kwality
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 aw m

a little off topic, but have you considered the bed in the box - ghostbed, casper, purple?

i have a ghost bed (king, $900 shipped) and it has amazing. we feel very little movement when shifting during sleep. i sleep well with no body pains. and the bed advertises that is keeps you cool. so far so good.

you can test drive them around 100 days and free shipping back.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 10:49 AM   #4
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwality View Post
a little off topic, but have you considered the bed in the box - ghostbed, casper, purple?

i have a ghost bed (king, $900 shipped) and it has amazing. we feel very little movement when shifting during sleep. i sleep well with no body pains. and the bed advertises that is keeps you cool. so far so good.

+1, I got a Leesa last year, it's wonderful.
      12-06-2016, 02:23 PM   #5
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I call bullshit on mattresses, they are the ultimate rip off. Seemingly always on sale and one is hard pressed to tell any difference between a $800 and $6,000 job unless one has severe arthritis or some such ailment.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 10:01 PM   #6
GoHokiesGo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwality View Post

Another +1 here also. Read reviews for some of the online options which use materials that are equivalent to your $4-6k retail mattresses in stores.

We started with the Nest Alexander Hybrid, which is a hybrid made from pocket coil springs on the lower half and foam for the top half. It was very high quality and well made, but it was a bit too soft for what my wife preferred. After 3 months we returned it - no hassles, good customer service, they have you donate the mattress to Salvation Army and give you a full refund.

We now have the Sapira Hybrid, which is the new luxury hybrid line from Leesa. It's a fair amount more firm for the foam upper, but still a hybrid with the pocket coil springs on the lower half. Again, fantastic quality and it is comparable to several really high end mattresses we tried in stores. We like the hybrid because it gives you the alignment support and contouring with the foam portion, but still has the bounce and response of a spring mattress. $1700 for a King.

JP Photography - Travel/Landscape/Automotive Photography
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 02:42 PM   #7
kihtay
Private
Rep
Drives: 98 hellrot red m3

We actually just purchased from bed in a box. They have great reviews, 120 night sleep guarantee. Plus if you don't like it, they fully refund you then pick up the bed and donate it to a local shelter
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 05:37 PM   #8
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmike89 View Post
Wife and I are looking at new mattresses. She happened to wander into a higher end store in downtown chicago and now only wants to get one of these mattresses. Wanting to get some honest opinions on them before I drop $5k for a mattress, which I think is ridiculous. But she has let me spent money on car parts she thinks is ridiculous so....ya know how it goes.
I don't think a $5000 mattress is worth the money but like any luxury or high end item it really depends on how into the product you are (cars, watches, refrigerators, shoes, etc.). Difference in a $500 to $2500 mattress is very noticeable, but I have real doubts on the $2500 to $5000 jump.
      12-09-2016, 06:34 PM   #9
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I've had same 500 dollar mattress for 20 plus years. Still works fine just a few dents in it and the headboard scratched up from the cuffs
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 09:51 PM   #10
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Tempurpedic here. No complaints, except for the price. Actually, pretty much changed my life. Better sleep, wake up fresh with no body aches. I was convinced my last mattress was trying to kill me. After the 3rd night on the Tempurpedic I woke up without back or shoulder pain.

I'm guessing the other memory foam mattresses are the same for the most part. Doing it over I may test drive one of the less expensive brands first.
      12-09-2016, 11:12 PM   #11
Kenny's X5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

On a side note, how are foam mattresses on a platform style bed?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 11:45 AM   #12
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Tempurpedic here. No complaints, except for the price. Actually, pretty much changed my life. Better sleep, wake up fresh with no body aches. I was convinced my last mattress was trying to kill me. After the 3rd night on the Tempurpedic I woke up without back or shoulder pain.

I'm guessing the other memory foam mattresses are the same for the most part. Doing it over I may test drive one of the less expensive brands first.
Same here. Went from a regular mattress to a Tempurpedic. Problem is, now I don't sleep well anymore when I'm on the road in hotels.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      10-26-2017, 05:18 PM   #13
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post

Same here. Went from a regular mattress to a Tempurpedic. Problem is, now I don't sleep well anymore when I'm on the road in hotels.
Same
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 11:45 PM   #14
DanielLee5
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 1998

Can't even imagine a mattress for a 5 k lol, the best mattresses are usually not more expensive than 700$ . Here is a good guidance on the best mattresses available on the market today, I think it is the most detailed info on the most advanced models, nothing to add here. My budget was rather limited when I was a choosing a suitable mattress and I took a folding one, it is good as a temporary variant, but later I will consider buying a memory foam item. Sister got Casper memory foam mattress and she says it relieves her back pains rather significantly, I think it's a very significant advantage. I think I will check different ones in a real store before ordering one from Amazon huh, that's a usual practice.

Last edited by DanielLee5; 01-08-2018 at 03:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 09:51 AM   #15
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post
Another +1 here also. Read reviews for some of the online options which use materials that are equivalent to your $4-6k retail mattresses in stores.

We started with the Nest Alexander Hybrid, which is a hybrid made from pocket coil springs on the lower half and foam for the top half. It was very high quality and well made, but it was a bit too soft for what my wife preferred. After 3 months we returned it - no hassles, good customer service, they have you donate the mattress to Salvation Army and give you a full refund.

We now have the Sapira Hybrid, which is the new luxury hybrid line from Leesa. It's a fair amount more firm for the foam upper, but still a hybrid with the pocket coil springs on the lower half. Again, fantastic quality and it is comparable to several really high end mattresses we tried in stores. We like the hybrid because it gives you the alignment support and contouring with the foam portion, but still has the bounce and response of a spring mattress. $1700 for a King.
I just ordered the Nest Hybrid Latex. I'm curious if you tried that one? I live too far away from their showroom.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 10:27 AM   #16
GoHokiesGo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post

I just ordered the Nest Hybrid Latex. I'm curious if you tried that one? I live too far away from their showroom.
I didn't try the latex option, but I'm sure it's good quality since it's similar to the regular Alexander hybrid. I think that option was just coming out or not even out yet when we made our exchange. The Sapira had just come out and had favorable reviews, so we went with that one. I never tried any of them at showrooms, and the free trial is a legit hassle free process.

For what it's worth- It's been over a year now and I still love the sapira mattress, happy with it and prefer my bed over any hotel I've ever stayed at.

JP Photography - Travel/Landscape/Automotive Photography
Appreciate 1
Mardio197.00