Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

03-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
melts
Enlisted Member
Singapore
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

RPM - usual or problem?

Hi folks, my ride is a sDrive 18i auto. I noticed that the RPM will go all the way beyond 3000 rpm before it switches to the next gear. Sometimes on a slight slop, it might even go to 4200 rpm before the next gear kicks in. Is that normal or should I bring it in? It's only a 1 week old vehicle.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by melts View Post
Hi folks, my ride is a sDrive 18i auto. I noticed that the RPM will go all the way beyond 3000 rpm before it switches to the next gear. Sometimes on a slight slop, it might even go to 4200 rpm before the next gear kicks in. Is that normal or should I bring it in? It's only a 1 week old vehicle.

Thanks in advance.
Are you driving in Sport mode (ie manual shift on the auto)? My 2.0d does it in Sport mode and its by design. Keeps the revs up and also uses engine braking for deceleration. Its actually very good at it.

If yours is doing this in normal auto mode it could be a software fault. Any which way, if you have a concern, take it in.

PS: If it does this only when you are accelerating hard or if you have hit the kickdown button its also by design.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
jag1
Rep
Drives: X1 xdrive 2.0 auto

If you have cruise control increase the speed quickly in the 10k increments from 48km/h, up to 110km/h and it should be smoother and not as you are experiencing, if ok it could be just pressing the gas pedal on to kickdown as Mario suggests but get it checked out by BMW garage if in doubt.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 05:11 AM   #4
melts
Enlisted Member
Singapore
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
PS: If it does this only when you are accelerating hard or if you have hit the kickdown button its also by design.
Yeah. I see. Thanks!

It happens only when I hit hard on the accelerator, like when I need to overtake almost immediately after rolling off the traffic junction. I suppose am not getting used to it yet as my previous cars were all Japanese cars (and less than 1400cc).

Besides I do recall the sales person did mention to me during test drive that I need to step on the accelerator more than a Japanese car.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 05:14 AM   #5
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by melts View Post
Yeah. I see. Thanks!

It happens only when I hit hard on the accelerator, like when I need to overtake almost immediately after rolling off the traffic junction. I suppose am not getting used to it yet as my previous cars were all Japanese cars (and less than 1400cc).

Besides I do recall the sales person did mention to me during test drive that I need to step on the accelerator more than a Japanese car.
So basically, your gearbox behaves as it should.
      03-04-2011, 06:47 AM   #6
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
So basically, your gearbox behaves as it should.
Sounds like it. Good thing that the BMW auto box keeps the revs up when you need it. Last thing you want is a down change when accelerating, especially in a diesel car.

As I said elsewhere is hangs on even longer if you put the auto box in triptronic/sport mode.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #7
silber1
Rep
Drives: x1

I have a similar problem with my 25i: Even without acceleration it remained in the lower gears. It was improved by a software revision. But still it remains or steps down with no or low acceleration.
When I use the manual mode, it often goes from 6 to 5 when there is a minimal acceleration or a slight slope. In manual mode it goes down, but never goes up.
The effect is a higher gasconsumpten as neccessary. I hope it can be improved by the bmw people.
Appreciate 0