02-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
BillQuarter
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2 series 218i Grand Coupe

Mud flaps

Hi All
Fitted a full set of mud flaps today and they look good, they are not overly big but should stop a lot of dirt getting on to the car.
I don't know where BMW get there priced from but at nearly £50.00 a pair they are certainly not cheap! and they do not include fitting instructions
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamT View Post
Hi All
Fitted a full set of mud flaps today and they look good, they are not overly big but should stop a lot of dirt getting on to the car.
I don't know where BMW get there priced from but at nearly £50.00 a pair they are certainly not cheap! and they do not include fitting instructions
Hi William, I also have them but they were fitted by the dealer. If you have fitted them yourself it would be great if you could post a "how to" on here as I am sure others have wanted to fit them themselves as well.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
BigDave
Certified
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 20d MSport Auto

Quote:
Hi All
William can you post photos & details of fitting? I was quoted £200 by my dealer which is excessive. They said that it was because they had to be bonded to body.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Just for interest I only paid £75 pounds fitted at delivery so someone is taking the pi55
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 06:13 AM   #5
BillQuarter
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
William can you post photos & details of fitting? I was quoted £200 by my dealer which is excessive. They said that it was because they had to be bonded to body.
Hi Dave
Have attached two photos but not very good quality ones as it's been snowing hear and the car is wet and white with the road salt, but I can confirm that they work, not near as much muck on the sills.
Think Mario got a good discount on his mud flaps, and as the VAT has gone up now it has upped the price to £42.26 plus VAT a pair.
As for sealing the mud flaps to the car, they come with two sided tape on them so before fitting, the car's wings have to be clean and dry.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 06:48 AM   #6
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Hi Dave
Have attached two photos but not very good quality ones as it's been snowing hear and the car is wet and white with the road salt, but I can confirm that they work, not near as much muck on the sills.
Think Mario got a good discount on his mud flaps, and as the VAT has gone up now it has upped the price to £42.26 plus VAT a pair.
As for sealing the mud flaps to the car, they come with two sided tape on them so before fitting, the car's wings have to be clean and dry.
Thanks for the pic William, I concur that they work well to keep muck off the body work. Also one of the main reasons I had them fitted was to protect the body being sandblasted by all the winter grit on our roads.

I have posted this pic before of my car but you can see how well they blend in to the look.

Name:  x1_6.jpg
Views: 1545
Size:  671.4 KB

Last edited by mario486; 02-03-2011 at 08:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX M60

If you search, there is another tread about this, and how simple it is to mount them.

I purchased mine from BMW, and it was a perfect instruction of mounting included.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
BigDave
Certified
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 20d MSport Auto

Quote:
Hi Dave
Thanks William. Seems like an easy DIY fitment. Why my dealer is asking £100 for labour I do not know. It maybe that they charge 1 hours labour which probably works out at that amount.You've done a good job and they seem to blend in nicely with the wheel arches.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 03:20 AM   #9
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
Thanks William. Seems like an easy DIY fitment. Why my dealer is asking £100 for labour I do not know. It maybe that they charge 1 hours labour which probably works out at that amount.You've done a good job and they seem to blend in nicely with the wheel arches.
When I discussed the fitment initially with the dealer they did say that it takes an hour as they lift the car and take the wheels off to fit the mudflaps.

Anyway I am glad I had it done as I am sure that the paintwork would have suffered some damage with all the grit we have on our roads.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #10
Pepe79
Red Devil
Rep
Drives: X1 20d xDrive

Here is also 200 EUR incl fitting it should be included in the "basic" package for a SUV. I have not ordered it yet. I won't use it that much in the Highlands will see (nice car and scene Mario)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #11
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
Here is also 200 EUR incl fitting it should be included in the "basic" package for a SUV. I have not ordered it yet. I won't use it that much in the Highlands will see (nice car and scene Mario)
You are welcome, just came back from that area again where I have spent the last week. This time hunting for snow.

I had a good look at the fitment of the mudflaps on Sunday when I washed the car and they look very easy to fit. I would say most people or any mechanic could do the job. Might be cheaper just to buy them and then take them elsewhere to put on.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 01:44 AM   #12
BillQuarter
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
You are welcome, just came back from that area again where I have spent the last week. This time hunting for snow.

I had a good look at the fitment of the mudflaps on Sunday when I washed the car and they look very easy to fit. I would say most people or any mechanic could do the job. Might be cheaper just to buy them and then take them elsewhere to put on.
Hi Mario
I fitted the mudflaps myself and it did not require the removal of the road wheels.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 01:59 AM   #13
dimitris33
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

anyone with a black X1 and mudflaps on to see how it looks?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 03:37 AM   #14
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Hi Mario
I fitted the mudflaps myself and it did not require the removal of the road wheels.
Good on you for fitting them yourself, BMW here are very good although I do think that the quotes for some of their labour are waaaaaay over the top.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 06:34 AM   #15
BillQuarter
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitris33 View Post
anyone with a black X1 and mudflaps on to see how it looks?
Hi dimitris
Dull hear today in Scotland so picture not so good but it will give you an idea what a Jet Black X1 with mudflaps looks like.
Will post a better picture when the sun comes out hear?
Bill
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 06:41 AM   #16
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Hi dimitris
Dull hear today in Scotland so picture not so good but it will give you an idea what a Jet Black X1 with mudflaps looks like.
Will post a better picture when the sun comes out hear?
Bill
Aye, another driech day.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #17
BillQuarter
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Aye, another driech day.
Hi mario
What do you think about the dummy aerial I fitted?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #18
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Hi mario
What do you think about the dummy aerial I fitted?
Did not even recognise it as a dummy. Looks fine.

Not sure if it was you but I drove past a Black 1.8d X1 near the airport about three weeks ago. Not many of them around and with mudflaps, wondered if it was you. I was in my silver X1 and flashed lights but not sure if the driver saw me.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #19
BillQuarter
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Did not even recognise it as a dummy. Looks fine.

Not sure if it was you but I drove past a Black 1.8d X1 near the airport about three weeks ago. Not many of them around and with mudflaps, wondered if it was you. I was in my silver X1 and flashed lights but not sure if the driver saw me.
Not me mario
If it had been I would have flashed back, there is a few x1s around hear in Hamilton I think Douglas Park has sold a lot of them, by the way the aerial is a genuine BMW aerial cover, got it on ebay it's amazing what you can pick up there
Appreciate 0