03-01-2011, 01:20 AM   #1
jmtm
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: mini cooper

Question Manufacturing method

Hello, i'm waiting for my X1 and i've a question:
in the factory they manufacture the cars by order number or by example they manufacture 10 sdrive 18D black saphire, 10 xdrive 20D spacegray.......
What's exactly their method ?
      03-01-2011, 01:41 AM   #2
BMWDave
Totally Add1cted
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive23d

Garage List
2011 BMW X1 23d  [7.66]
I've done the factory tour in Munich, not Leipzig where our X1's are manufactured, and as far as I can tell, they must be done by order as I can tell you, I watched for a while and saw sedans and wagons intertwined, left hand drive and right hand drive intertwined, one car get undercoated in grey, the next one white, the next one black (they have different undercoats depending on final colour), some with sunroof, others without. There is certainly no batching of generic 10 white, 10 grey, 10 black, etc. It's incredible to watch.
      03-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
jmtm
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: mini cooper

thank you BMWDave for your answer
      03-02-2011, 07:08 AM   #4
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDave View Post
I've done the factory tour in Munich, not Leipzig where our X1's are manufactured, and as far as I can tell, they must be done by order as I can tell you, I watched for a while and saw sedans and wagons intertwined, left hand drive and right hand drive intertwined, one car get undercoated in grey, the next one white, the next one black (they have different undercoats depending on final colour), some with sunroof, others without. There is certainly no batching of generic 10 white, 10 grey, 10 black, etc. It's incredible to watch.
Not done the tour, would love to, but I agree its fairly random. When I sat with my dealer to order we went into the build queue and at that time the only thing that was fixed was the the engine size. The rest we could change as much as we liked and could do so for many weeks. I kept on adding things which the dealer called "spec creep". Anyway, about 6 weeks before the build day the car changed status to "committed to build" whereafter nothing can be changed, even by the dealer (and he said the factory won't either). At that point the car is built regardless.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0