heisalan
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

No OEM tint, then.....

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Just realized X1 doesn't come with OEM tint, 100% transmission of light. Does anyone know in this case, with a beige inside, 35% tint will be acceptable in Virginia? The dealer is quoting me $390 for formula1 ceramic film, not including the front windshield. I'm thinking about 90% windshield tint as well, any suggestions?
      09-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

No - OEM tint is not available. I already had mine done @ 35%. I believe BEAMERBOI had his tinted, too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Ours is tinted too, 35% ceramic. I only have terrible pics, I'll work on decent ones this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
ChaseN127
Rep
Drives: '06 330i ZSP, '92 911 Carrera

35% on the front side windows is illegal in VA, though you'll more than likely be fine (especially with a beige interior since that makes it "look" lighter inside the car). FYI in VA the legal max for aftermarket tint is 50% on the front side windows, and 35% on the windows to the rear of that. If a cop ever even notices 90% on the front windshield I'd be surprised, though that too is illegal (any aftermarket tint on the windshield is illegal in most states).

Are you buying your car from Sterling? I've got a 35i M-Sport on order through them for euro delivery in December. Just curious, who is your salesperson?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
heisalan
Photographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseN127 View Post
35% on the front side windows is illegal in VA, though you'll more than likely be fine (especially with a beige interior since that makes it "look" lighter inside the car). FYI in VA the legal max for aftermarket tint is 50% on the front side windows, and 35% on the windows to the rear of that. If a cop ever even notices 90% on the front windshield I'd be surprised, though that too is illegal (any aftermarket tint on the windshield is illegal in most states).

Are you buying your car from Sterling? I've got a 35i M-Sport on order through them for euro delivery in December. Just curious, who is your salesperson?
yeah, Jordan. BTW, one of the general managers doesn't care about low margin customers..... Mini CA is very friendly though.

Actually cops will not bust u for 35% tint alone. So 35% should be safe. I am hesitating for aesthetic reason and heat blocking reason. If heat blocking is almost same for 50% and 35%, I tend to have 50%. X1 glass area is comparatively small, too dark doesn't seem to go good with Marrakesh brown but good with white, black or blue. May go with 45% if available.

Last edited by heisalan; 09-21-2012 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #6
ChaseN127
Rep

Agreed, I actually just had a bit of a maddening day today with one of the sales managers (Brian). Of course the fact that he was preoccupied with pandering to Fred Davis (Redskins tight end) who was there at the same time didn't help my case.

At any rate, they definitely will give you a ticket for 35% if they're having a bad day. I was on the toll road early one morning last year heading towards Leesburg when a state trooper passed me going the other way. Pulled a u-turn through the median and came barreling down on me with his lights going. Whipped out his tint-meter and tested it at 37% and issued me a ticket. No other offense observed or cited. On the other hand, I have driven cars for years with varying levels of tint (20% at darkest) and that's the only problem I've had.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
heisalan
Photographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agreed, I actually just had a bit of a maddening day today with one of the sales managers (Brian). Of course the fact that he was preoccupied with pandering to Fred Davis (Redskins tight end) who was there at the same time didn't help my case.

At any rate, they definitely will give you a ticket for 35% if they're having a bad day. I was on the toll road early one morning last year heading towards Leesburg when a state trooper passed me going the other way. Pulled a u-turn through the median and came barreling down on me with his lights going. Whipped out his tint-meter and tested it at 37% and issued me a ticket. No other offense observed or cited. On the other hand, I have driven cars for years with varying levels of tint (20% at darkest) and that's the only problem I've had.
Righto, Brian was bad bad mannered everytime (guess his eyes are always floating, is he sobered or high?). They seem to have 2 GM, another guy with eyeglasses is from Morocco, quite exquisite at customer service.

Hahaha, just got doctor's signature at Sun-shade waiver application..... Will get 35% with no risk.

VA is notorious for State troopers carrying tint meter devices (only state troopers). Other states? Other than Oklahoma, not as far as I know.
      09-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
ChaseN127
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heisalan View Post
Righto, Brian was bad bad mannered everytime (guess his eyes are always floating, is he sobered or high?). They seem to have 2 GM, another guy with eyeglasses is from Morocco, quite exquisite at customer service.

Hahaha, just got doctor's signature at Sun-shade waiver application..... Will get 35% with no risk.

VA is notorious for State troopers carrying tint meter devices (only state troopers). Other states? Other than Oklahoma, not as far as I know.
LOL, I always think the same thing. His eyes are always glassed over.

How/who did you get the waiver from? What was the 'condition'? I'd love one of those...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
heisalan
Photographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL, I always think the same thing. His eyes are always glassed over.

How/who did you get the waiver from? What was the 'condition'? I'd love one of those...
Go to an eyeglasses priscriptor, do the eye exame, ask the doctor there to sign for you. Find a form on dmv website, form med-20. My doc didnt write reason that I must have sunshade, I will just add a reason later by myself...