Rep
Drives: 2017 Porsche Macan

Arrow 2013 BMW X1 Reviews Are In

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Name:  P90093151_highRes.jpg
Views: 11383
Size:  86.3 KB

2013 BMW X1 Official Info @ http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685763

CAR AND DRIVER: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review
Quote:
This fall, BMW is introducing a car for those who are unhappy with the growth of the 3-series sedan—six inches longer in the past two generations alone. It’s called the X1 and it’s about the same length as the 2003 3-series, yet is more spacious, more useful, and more luxurious.

From a Car, Like a Car

Yes, the X designation suggests that it’s an SUV—or SAV for Sports Activity Vehicle in BMW vernacular—but it’s not really. For one thing, the X1 is only 60.8 inches high. That’s at least five inches shorter than most compact SUVs and no taller than the likes of a Ford Taurus or a Suzuki SX4. For another, the X1 is the first BMW X model available in a rear-drive version. From behind the wheel, this X1 drives like a nimble hatchback with a slightly higher seating position.

The hardware has great DNA, as the X1 is derived from the 1-series model we have in America, which is closely related to the last-generation (E90) 3-series. That means a solid structure, first-rate suspension design, and excellent powertrains.

The X1 comes as the sDrive28i or xDrive28i with BMW’s 2.0-liter turbo four with 240 hp, or as the xDrive35i with the 300-hp turbo 3.0-liter six (North America is the only market where the X1 gets this bigger engine). Unfortunately, no manual transmission is available, and you can only get rear drive with the four-cylinder. But the four’s automatic is the superb eight-speed ZF unit that we have universally praised in its other BMW applications; the xDrive35i offers only a six-speed automatic transmission.

Biding Its Time

The X1 actually was introduced in Germany a couple of years ago (we drove one then) and we are getting a face-lifted version that is very likeable. The interior is richer than we get in American 1-series cars—at least as nice as that of the last-generation 3-series. The materials are high quality, the textures and colors are tasteful, and everything is assembled flawlessly. The premium sense is reinforced by a structure that felt rock solid on the Bavarian roads near BMW headquarters in Munich, and the cabin was hushed even at 100 mph.

While you do sit a couple inches higher in the X1 than in a BMW sedan, the driving position still feels more carlike than trucklike. Brake feel is superb and the steering precision and weighting are very good, even on the rear-drive model that uses an electrically assisted rack. Moreover, the 2.0-liter turbo/eight-speed automatic combo motivates the X1 effortlessly. Both four-cylinder models should require a bit over six seconds to reach 60, and BMW is estimating about 24 mpg on the EPA city cycle and 33 on the highway with the four-cylinder and rear-wheel drive. At the other end of the economy spectrum, the xDrive35i is projected to achieve ratings of 18/27 mpg.

Matters of Size

At 6.5 inches shorter, 3.3 inches narrower, and 4.6 inches lower than an X3, the X1 gives up some space. But the front compartment has generous leg- and headroom and plenty of shoulder room for all but outlying adults. The rear seat offers plenty of head- and shoulder room for two adults, but kneeroom is on the tight side, recalling that 2003 328i. And the combination of the narrow cabin and the large driveline tunnel makes the middle position fairly useless.

Perhaps the best way to view the X1 is as a 1-series five-door hatchback, reconstituted in a shape designed to appeal to Americans. While this is obvious pandering, at least this faux SUV is well-packaged, relatively efficient, and good to drive. In fact, it drives very much like a BMW car. With base prices ranging from $31,545 for an sDrive28i to $39,345 for an xDrive35i, the X1 likely will find plenty of takers.

MOTOR TREND: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...1_first_drive/
Quote:
So how does the X1 drive? The xDrive 35i does seem to accelerate like one of those dangerous over-engined sleds from the '60s, but without the danger. Funny thing is, eight-speed gearing and probably 300 pounds less weight make up for a good bit of the sDrive 28i's 60-hp/45-lb-ft output deficit, making the acceleration lag feel like a whole lot less than the one second claimed by BMW (5.3 vs. 6.2). Our rear-driver also benefited from the M Sport package, and so felt perhaps a bit better buttoned-down, but still eager to understeer at the limit, and those limits were less clearly enunciated through the helm of the sDrive 28i, because that's the only model to which electric power steering can be fitted. The all-wheel-drive system crowds the electric motor, so all X1 xDrive models get BMW's sublime hydraulic-assist steering -- an endangered species to be protected and fostered. The six sounds sublime and has no detectable boost lag, but its aging six-speed is slower to shift and less engaging than the rapid-fire ZF eight-speed, which keeps the little N20 humming near its sweet spot. That's why we're guessing the slightly heavier xDrive28i might actually be the X1 to lust after. Couple xDrive with the M Sport package, and it gets a special performance programming algorithm that sends 80 percent of the torque to the rear during cornering, with a bit of braking to the inside wheel shunting torque outward to help rotate the car and ward off the understeer we felt in the rear-driver.

Both models of the X1 we tested hugged Germany's pristine Gorilla Glass-smooth roads with admirable body-motion control, but the non M-Sport all-season Pirelli P7 Cinturatos wailed like an eliminated "American Idol" contestant -- most unbecoming of an Ultimate Driving Machine. Because we were in Germany and we could, we ran the M Sport version with the high-speed tires up to its 149-mph limit and found it a bit light and wandery as perhaps too much air was crowding in under that 7-inch ground clearance.

When you see the X1 around other crossovers and SUVs, its significantly lower roofline makes it hard to imagine it as any sort of off-roader, although its superior ground clearance means it might get farther away from help than its subcompact cute-ute brethren before it gets stuck. Of course, if we can all agree nobody's going off-road, maybe the burning question facing would-be Bimmer owners in the showroom is "X1 or 328i Sports Wagon?" The Wangers musclecar fans will have to go for the 35i's 13 lb/hp setup. The auto journalist will always opt for the low-cg wagon. Probably the young BMW aspirant will be delighted with the $31,545 X1.

AUTOMOBILE: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...0_2013_bmw_x1/
Quote:
So you'd love a small BMW but don't like the 1-series' impractical coupe body? You fancy yourself young and sophisticated and would buy a 135i if you could just get it in chic hot-hatch form? Well, we have good news: come this fall, you can get a subcompact 1-series hatchback with either four- or six-cylinder firepower. Even better news: it's cheaper than the 1-series coupe.

Here's the catch: you'll have to put up with an X badge, which of course means the new 2013 X1 isn't just a 1-series hatch, it's a 1-series hatch with a lift kit. A crossover, if you will. Oh, you think crossovers are stupid and you'd rather just have the hatch? Then you're probably not going to like the mandatory automatic transmission, either.

What looks at first like it might be the OMG RWD BMW GTI we've wanted for so long isn't actually a car for enthusiasts -- it's an aspirational vehicle for when your girlfriend's paychecks outgrow her Honda CR-V payments. Shame, that, because even though the X1 doesn't strike us as an enthusiast-friendly vehicle, it goes like the dickens. If you can overlook its crossover-ness (or look over it, as the X1's roof is 4.3 inches lower than a CR-V's) you might just like it.

The base X1 -- available for just $31,545 -- undercuts the 128i by $550, making it the least expensive BMW available in America. Filling barely half of the long engine compartment is the delightful N20 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo engine, whose 240 hp and 255 lb-ft of torque more than fill the rear wheels with anger. Yup, the X1 is the first rear-wheel drive BMW to wear an X badge. That's cool, except you won't want this X1. It gets the best gas mileage (the Bavarian crystal ball predicts 24/33 mpg EPA ratings), but it's not the drift machine the rear-wheel drive layout implies. Even when turned off, stability control will allow no silly sideways shenanigans. And when you're driving along like a nun, you'll be praying to your local deity for some steering feel -- electric power steering has sacrificed it in the name of saving dinosaur juice.

So that leaves the X1 xDrive28i, the $33,245 base four-wheel drive version. Sure, it carries a $1700 premium over the rear-drive X1 and it loses 2 mpg city and 3 on the highway, but the extra dough and gas is worth it for the steering alone. See, the X1's four-wheel drive system resides in the place where parts of the electric steering system go -- so xDrive X1s have good, old-fashioned hydraulic assistance. If you're sitting at home and wondering why we're continually mourning the disappearance of hydraulic steering, go drive these two X1s back-to-back. The difference is like trading in your favorite late-night 1-900 number habit for a real girlfriend. Only one of them touches you back.

If you're a rear-drive purist maniac at the helm (and we're not judging here, either), you might want to invest in the M Sport Package so you can get BMW's Performance Control. That changes the AWD system's steady-state cornering balance by sending eighty percent of the engine's power to the rear. Paradoxically, it also includes staggered tires that induce howling understeer. Well, you can fix that with aftermarket wheels.

But wait, there's more! BMW is giving us a little present for having waited so patiently for the X1. See, the subcompact crossover went on sale in 2009, but worldwide demand was so great that there was no production capacity left for us. A new plant has just come online to manufacture Chinese-market X1s in China, and the freed-up capacity in BMW's Regensburg, Germany plant is now at our disposal. The gift for waiting is six delicious cylinders under the hood -- an engine that no other country will get in the X1.
2013 BMW X1 Right Side View 3

The X1 xDrive35i comes exclusively with all-wheel drive and costs $39,345. (That's $850 cheaper than a 135i with rear-wheel drive, by the way.) In place of BMW's new (and still somewhat cumbersome) shifter is the old PNRDL -- and that's a sign that you're also getting last-generation goods in the transmission department too. See, the 300-hp N55 straight-six is bolted to the old six-speed automatic, which was the benchmark transmission in its day. By contrast, the four-cylinder gets ZF's latest 8-speed, which is the benchmark transmission today -- and there's a lot more going on than just having two additional gears. First, the 8-speed can tolerate automatic start/stop -- which helps fuel economy in city traffic. The turbo four produces only about fifteen percent less peak torque than the six, and it weighs considerably less. As a result, the 35i feels no faster off the line, and its six-speed transmission has a much shorter top gear -- meaning the six-cylinder is spinning much more quickly on the highway. That doesn't help efficiency, and EPA ratings drop accordingly. BMW says the six is a full second faster to 60 mph (achieving the stunt in 5.3 seconds versus 6.3 for the four-wheel drive four-cylinder) but it sure doesn't feel faster. The four-cylinder xDrive28i is definitely the X1 to get.

Finding a pothole on a German road is like discovering a smooth road in Manhattan -- not going to happen -- so we'll know more about the X1's ride once we drive one at home. It felt firm but not harsh, however, and the remainder of the X1 works extraordinarily well. The cabin is well finished, with only the occasional hard plastic to be found. The rear seats are split 40/20/40, and fold flat to create a large load floor. The total cargo capacity isn't quite as large as the upcoming 3-series wagon's, but if buyers really cared about rational things like practicality, we'd all be driving wagons and hatchbacks, not crossovers.

Best of all, the X1 is based on the 1-series, which means itself was based on the last-generation E90-chassis 3-series. Getting some seat time in the X1 reminded us just how much better the old 3-series worked. Sure, it doesn't have quite as many gadgets and gizmos -- and neither the 1-series, the X1, nor the old 3-series is as pretty as the new 3-series -- but those earlier cars have a fundamental, built-in "just right" factor. The steering, the brakes, the ride, the handling, and all the secondary controls and instruments just feel perfect. The volume control is on the correct (left) side of the steering wheel; the cruise control is an easy-to-operate stalk. You don't have to select some ridiculous "Eco Pro" mode to save fuel or "Sport" to waste it -- you just start the X1 and it drives right. Just like the last 3-series did.

So if you'd like to have a hot-hatch based on the last 3-series, but with BMW's latest generation of engine and transmission, the X1 xDrive28i makes one hell of a package. Even if it's not the quite hot hatch you've wanted all these years.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
bbg2d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i Sport Line

Interesting that they all seem to like the xDrive 28 over the 35...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
111R
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus

That's a shame about the electric power assist in the RWD version, as it was the one we considered. Academic, as we're no longer in the market.
'17 Audi A4 Ultra, Monsoon Grey, Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
The more I read about BMW's new FXX models, I'm finding that they excel with the base models but go to the higher trim/line, it's just "meh...".
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
ab3
ab3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
The more I read about BMW's new FXX models, I'm finding that they excel with the base models but go to the higher trim/line, it's just "meh...".
This isn't one of the the new FXX models... its an E84

On another note... I wonder why the 6 doesn't get the 8 speed gearbox... I mean if they can fit it on the N55 in the new F30, why not this?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
investor27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

Not soon enough for me, which is a shame. I wanted to order a diesel one now, but couldn't wait so I ordered the xDrive instead.

I'm very happy to be able to still have the good ol' fashion hydraulic steering in our X1. I did choose Servotronic, though, so it will be interesting to see if that option will totally ruin the hydraulic steering feel or enhance it. Can't wait to take delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post
How soon b4 we see diesel.. & 8spd gearbox..?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

I'm glad reviewers seem to like the car, which isn't a surprise. As the rumored 2-series Gran Coupe isn't coming out for another 3 years or so, the X1 sDrive 28i will most likely be the car that we replace our E46 325i sedan with.

As I've mentioned before, the F30 is simply too big -- it's almost the size of our old E39 525i, which we promptly replaced with the 325i because of its size.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

anyone else notice Car and Driver's error? Hint hint, 2003 328i.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post
Maybe they were talking about the e46 2003 328 lol
      07-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #10
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
Maybe they were talking about the e46 2003 328 lol
In 2003, the E46 came in 325i and 330i variants. I believe the 328i was phased out in 2001.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 11:34 PM   #11
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

From one of the reviews alone you can see just how retarded BMW is for not bringing the new 1er Hatch [F20] to North America. Give the people what they really want BMW. Get with the program and maybe you can own the segment.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 01:23 AM   #12
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

All these reviews confirm my impression about this car - its not really an suv, and its not really a wagon. It still has the good ol bmw engine, drivetrain and tranny, so at least it drives good. 4.3" shorter than a cr-v, thats just weird.
      07-18-2012, 02:04 AM   #13
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
BTW... I would love to see a X1 xDrive 35d, M-Sport manual by Dec/Jan. I think BMW could get an advanced purchase/buying, (if we get enough) for such a vehicle and we can get a "special edition" w/manuals made..(?)
Not a chance. To certify a manual would be an extra 2 million dollars- EPA and DOT crash testing. The diesels are 12 months out and will be equipped with 8 speed autos as they should be. The take rate on manuals in sporty cars has plummeted and a manual diesel is less than sporty... I am also not sure why everyone is stuck on the manual with a diesel- doesn't drive like a gas engine and the 8 speed gets better EPA numbers which is the marketing point of the diesel anyways.
      07-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #14
Teleskier
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 20mpg, '01 VW TDI 55mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
Not a chance. To certify a manual would be an extra 2 million dollars- EPA and DOT crash testing. The diesels are 12 months out and will be equipped with 8 speed autos as they should be. The take rate on manuals in sporty cars has plummeted and a manual diesel is less than sporty... I am also not sure why everyone is stuck on the manual with a diesel- doesn't drive like a gas engine and the 8 speed gets better EPA numbers which is the marketing point of the diesel anyways.
My chipped MT VW TDI drives much more like a racy sports car than the N20 AT X3 I recently test drove. Chipping the TDI turned it from drab eco-driving into a kick-in-the-seat rocket... and I still get 49+ mpg. You can have it all. Diesel does not mean boring.

Now I have to decide if I trust BMW enough to wait for the 62mpg diesel X1 if they really DO bring it over, or just get the present X1, where I have to pick between the N20 I felt was underpowered and boring in the X3 but I get the new 8spd, or take the more fun N55 but be saddled with the older 6spd which further demotes the hwy mpg more than the 6cyl already would.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 07:15 AM   #15
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleskier View Post
My chipped MT VW TDI drives much more like a racy sports car than the N20 AT X3 I recently test drove. Chipping the TDI turned it from drab eco-driving into a kick-in-the-seat rocket... and I still get 49+ mpg. You can have it all. Diesel does not mean boring.

Now I have to decide if I trust BMW enough to wait for the 62mpg diesel X1 if they really DO bring it over, or just get the present X1, where I have to pick between the N20 I felt was underpowered and boring in the X3 but I get the new 8spd, or take the more fun N55 but be saddled with the older 6spd which further demotes the hwy mpg more than the 6cyl already would.
BMW brought the 335d over to show diesel does not have to be boring; that ship sailed and it was clear that diesel buyers want economy.

The N20 in the X1 doesn't feel underpowered or boring- it feels lively and honestly not 1 second slower than the N55 powered 35i. The weight difference and balance are what make the N20 feel better in this application.

I didn't like the 35i, and that 6 speed is a throwback and feels very dated now. All models understeer when pushed, especially the M sport with its staggered wheels.

Having talked with the individual that made the announcement the diesels are coming- he said that they will be coming and going into multiple models- more specifically the models that sell. Those of us reading between the lines (and expression) saw that as 3 (sedan) and more than likely X1 (cheapest BMW should sell well) with the 4 cylinder and the X3 and future X5 with the six cylinder. MINI if you listen to talk around the water cooler is currently testing the 4 cylinder in the Countryman.
      07-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #16
investor27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

Well. According to all 3 reviews, the 8-speed in the N20 makes it feel like it's as quick as the N55, and not lethargic at all. One of the reviewers said that this is due to the "rapid fire" shifting of the 8-speed, which is aided by the programming of the Eco Mode. In Eco Mode the X1 shifts to the 8th gear quickest. And if I'm reading one of the reviewers correctly, that quick shifting to the 8th gear helps the X1 feels fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleskier View Post

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #17
sali
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 911, 16 Range Rover

How come X1 has the nice hydraulic steering while the new F30 has pos eps?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #18
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
The only people who don't like hatches, are those who grew up in the last 20 years.

Those people typically flood forums, but don't buy cars. Those of @ or near 40~45 grew up in hatches here in NA. BMW's marketing/research has never understood this metric. (ie: Hockey practice in the eighties, didn't require a 4klbs SUV, it was 3 kids in a Escort GT)

It seems only recently has BMW started to take notice...
+ 1 as well as Ford, GM, and to a much lesser extent Chrysler/Dodge.
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #19
111R
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus

Quote:
From one of the reviews alone you can see just how retarded BMW is for not bringing the new 1er Hatch [F20] to North America. Give the people what they really want BMW. Get with the program and maybe you can own the segment.
We got tired of waiting for BMW to bring over a small diesel hatch and went for an Audi A3 TDI instead. I know it's a glorified Golf, but it's nimble, gets great mileage, and is just the size my wife wanted. On top of all that, it has a spare tire and a dipstick. It also is a little easier on the eyes on the 1 series hatch, even if they did bring it over. BMW, are you listening?

She took one look at the X1 Sdrive28i specs and saw that it didn't get the mileage she wanted. Also, she's not partial to SUV/SAV/etc. type cars, so the X1 styling didn't appeal.

Don't get me wrong - I would rather have another BMW instead of an Audi, but they have chosen to ignore the premium small car segment in this country. Maybe right now sales aren't too hot, but watch what happens over the next few years.
'17 Audi A4 Ultra, Monsoon Grey, Wife's car

Last edited by 111R; 07-18-2012 at 06:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #20
Teleskier
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 20mpg, '01 VW TDI 55mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111R View Post
We got tired of waiting for BMW to bring over a small diesel hatch and went for an Audi A3 TDI instead. I know it's a glorified Golf, but it's nimble, gets great mileage, and is just the size my wife wanted. On top of all that, it has a spare tire and a dipstick.
There is nothing to apologize for in the A3 TDI - it's a great car.

Now what's this about not getting a dipstick? First I find that the X1 doesn't come with real tires, please don't say now I can't even change my own oil?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #21
bbg2d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i Sport Line

There's a filler cap, but no dipstick to check levels. It's all electronic.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #22
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

I don't understand why the 35i has the old transmission, yet the 28i has the sweet 8-speed. I guess they had a bunch of left-over old 6-speed autos they needed to dispense out...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0