11-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #23
gM x Chalupa
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Garage List
Fun fact of the day:

The X1 doesnt do well when it hits trees. I must say I was able to drive it home, but $7000 in repairs?? thats CRAZY for just the front bumper and splash guards.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 02:17 AM   #24
Jossen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 to come...

Trees as in several trees? Ouch!
My current car, a Ford Kuga(which I signed to trade in), had a damaged door.
Ford says it would cost me 1600 Euro to get another one placed in and painted.
A new door I found out costs actually 620 Euro... Of course not painted and put in.
This price is ALSO overrated! Luckily I found a crashed Kuga(same color as mine) and it was easily accessible, just a 2 hour drive.
Went there and picked it up for just 300 Euro!

I hope you can negotiate a little and hope not too much of the X1 mechanics is displaced or just kaput.
I hope your repair goes fast!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 03:42 AM   #25
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gM x Chalupa View Post
Fun fact of the day:

The X1 doesnt do well when it hits trees. I must say I was able to drive it home, but $7000 in repairs?? thats CRAZY for just the front bumper and splash guards.
We're happy you're still alive!

And this is why you have insurance!
Do the costs cover a required realignment of both front suspension, wheels and headlights, or just the three parts you mentioned and labor for putting them in?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #26
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
So I think I might be missing some trim there, because for me it's just some nasty cutouts. If you can grab a photo that would be great.
Stefan,

I'll snap some close-ups tonight.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #27
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I think I might be missing some trim there, because for me it's just some nasty cutouts. If you can grab a photo that would be great.
Ok, here they are.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #28
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Interesting. I saw those parts on RealOEM, but ours doesn't have them. ECS doesn't list them yet, I guess I'll have to check with my dealer and see if their parts department can grab them for me.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #29
Irish-Texan
BannerMan
Ireland
Rep
Drives: X3 35i MSport / X1 28ix MSport

Those two seemingly inconsequential trim pieces on the tailgate "cavities" make an absolutely huge difference in the ability to close the tailgate in one easy motion. None of the initial X1 deliveries at the 3 closest dealers around here had them, and both SWMBO and I found it very difficult to close the tailgate in one motion on any X1 we tried. Had wished for a handle, strap, adjust the pressure in the struts or even an option for an auto tailgate. Thank you to BMW for modifying the tailgate design and making a relatively low tech enhancement which has eliminated a pre-order issue for this owner. Was pleasantly surprised when ours arrived with this improvement as we were not aware of the redesign.
If you don't have these trim pieces, I would suggest visiting a dealer and experiencing the difference for yourself and requesting them. It would be a shame if BMW didn't retrofit these, or at least allow you to order them.

BTW Posted on this tailgate subject some months ago and was vilified, mocked and abused to the point of requesting that the mods remove my factual, objective post which was meant to be a positive contribution and the childish, immature and abusive comments that followed. Y'all know who you are. My first post almost became my last. Thankfully the trolls in question have been less evident in recent months. Many thanks to the excellent contributions from the rest of this helpful and informative community. Rant over.

Happy trails y'all!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #30
dchao
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish-Texan View Post
Those two seemingly inconsequential trim pieces on the tailgate "cavities" make an absolutely huge difference in the ability to close the tailgate in one easy motion.
+1. A huge improvement!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #31
famfmann
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive28i M Sport

Bill B., thanks for the pics of the cavities and grips.

I went for a test drive today and found one X1 had these plastic grips in the cavities, and one X1 did not. The X1 without the grips was an older one that the dealer had for a while. BMW must have noticed the awkwardness and added this part; it looks like an afterthought, not integrated into the cavity.

The grips do make closing the lift gate much easier, and possible with one motion.

Last edited by famfmann; 12-04-2012 at 10:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #32
Irish-Texan
BannerMan
Ireland
Rep
Drives: X3 35i MSport / X1 28ix MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by famfmann View Post
Irish-Texan, thanks for the pics of the cavities and grips.

I went for a test drive today and found one X1 had these plastic grips in the cavities, and one X1 did not. The X1 without the grips was an older one that the dealer had for a while. BMW must have noticed the awkwardness and added this part; it looks like an afterthought, not integrated into the cavity.

The grips do make closing the lift gate much easier, and possible with one motion.
You are thanking the wrong person for the tailgate pics as they were taken/posted by Bill B.
Glad you were able to experience the difference between the old and new "modified" design.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #33
famfmann
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish-Texan View Post
You are thanking the wrong person for the tailgate pics as they were taken/posted by Bill B.
Glad you were able to experience the difference between the old and new "modified" design.
Whoops! My bad. Bill B. Thank *you*!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #34
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Thanks Bill. I definitely do not have those inserts. Very interesting.

Here is the info on those handle inserts from Real OEM

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...34&hg=51&fg=65

16 Handle recess, left 1 51497345047
16 Handle recess, right 1 51497345048

Based on what I'm seeing, I'm not entirely sure this is a simple retrofit. There is a plastic mount on the back of the panel.

Last edited by stefan; 12-03-2012 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #35
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Bill. I definitely do not have those inserts. Very interesting.
Based on what I'm seeing, I'm not entirely sure this is a simple retrofit. There is a plastic mount on the back of the panel.
No problem, Stefan. Actually, I don't think it would be too bad to add them. I don't think you would even need to remove the trim panel. My guess this that they've just added a slot for #10 in the realoem diagram, the expanding nut. Unless you don't even have that recess for the dimple already, that is.

Depending on how adept you were with a dremel, the benefit might be well worth the effort.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #36
FStephenMasek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Ford Explorer EB V8 RWD

I noticed the dual exhaust outlets, the left one with a valve which opens when more power is needed also on the X1 4 cylinder at the San Diego Auto Show and see them in the photos above. It that on all X1s? The photos on BMW's web site show one exhaust outlet.