Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
Menotti
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi Coupe

Install auto dimming mirror?

Hi all,
I got a mostly barebones X1 in January after handing in my 328i coupe. I quite miss the auto dimming mirror from the coupe. Anyone have any experience installing an auto dimming mirror? Tried to find some resources online specific to the X1 but not much luck.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
peter123
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menotti View Post
Anyone have any experience installing an auto dimming mirror? Tried to find some resources online specific to the X1 but not much luck.

Thanks!
There are quite a few posts on this in this and the other forum. One of the best is at http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450516 . You can install just the Electrochromatic mirror, or the one with homelink too, your choice; I got mine on ebay. The X1 part number is shared with the 328i and 335i Sedan & Coupe, X3, and X5. Same for the retrofit cable harness. Follow the instructions in the post - the BMW pdf (attached) is of only partial help. The cable connectors in the overhead FZD were the trickiest part (for me) - if they seem impossible to open, you are doing it wrong. And don't be dismayed if the mirror mount on the new mirror looks completely different from the old one - they both fit to the windshield receiver, believe it or not. If you know what you are doing, this is a 20 minute job. For a first time, set aside at least an hour. Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
peter123
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i Sport

autodim mirror

Attachment attached this time.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf homelink-retrofit-pdf-february-25-2008-8-22-pm-1-3-meg.pdf (1.25 MB, 2519 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
Menotti
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi Coupe

This is awesome, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

does the auto dimming mirror with compass fit as well? Can you provide the part number? I called dealer and they have two different models with compass and said since this is an upgrade not an accessory that purchase is nonrefundable. He also was not sure if the X1 35i was prewired.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 08:15 PM   #6
buckZor
Rep
Drives: 2013 xDrive3.5i Black on Black

Did anyone try this yet? I desperately want to add Electrochrome mirror. Headlight glare gives my wife migraines. Yes, we tilt the mirror up but it's worth the money to us to upgrade. Smartlink remote control would sure be nice. We have technology package, and navigation.. any way to know if it's wired?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 08:27 PM   #7
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Look on my post. I recently retrofited the mirror to my X1. It was simple. Plug in and play. Read my post, its about maybe a few weeks old, and if you have any questions, i can answer!

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #8
tubbz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 28i

Hi, I am new.
I see this thread is pretty old, but I’m interested in this mod, mainly because my current clown nose interferes with my radar detector.
My Blendmount positions the detector such that it makes contact with the nose. It has just enough pressure to change the mirror position slightly over time.
Rather than get a new Blendmount, I’ve elected to try this mod.

My X1 is a 2013 xDrive 28i base model, Steel Top, with Cold Weather Package. No Premium, iDrive, M Sport, or Sunroof options.

Looking online at the HomeLink/Auto-Dim/Compass Mirrors, I noticed they have 9 wires in the pin connector, as my connector only has 4 wires.
I noticed the bracket arm mounting connector is also different.

I am curious to know if my window mount will be compatible, and how many wires other people here have.
Basically whether or not it is possible to get this working with my set up or i if need to do anything special?
Does anyone have any experience or insight?

Here are some photos of what I’m talking about, thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #9
rps
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbz View Post
Hi, I am new.
I see this thread is pretty old, but I’m interested in this mod, mainly because my current clown nose interferes with my radar detector.
My Blendmount positions the detector such that it makes contact with the nose. It has just enough pressure to change the mirror position slightly over time.
Rather than get a new Blendmount, I’ve elected to try this mod.

My X1 is a 2013 xDrive 28i base model, Steel Top, with Cold Weather Package. No Premium, iDrive, M Sport, or Sunroof options.

Looking online at the HomeLink/Auto-Dim/Compass Mirrors, I noticed they have 9 wires in the pin connector, as my connector only has 4 wires.
I noticed the bracket arm mounting connector is also different.

I am curious to know if my window mount will be compatible, and how many wires other people here have.
Basically whether or not it is possible to get this working with my set up or i if need to do anything special?
Does anyone have any experience or insight?

Here are some photos of what I’m talking about, thanks.
Contact Blendmount, they have a longer center section for the mount which will get it lower. I called them and they suggested the longer piece which works like a charm.
      02-20-2017, 09:47 PM   #10
tubbz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 28i

Thanks rps. I considered the blendmount extension but i’d like to try and keep the detector up and out of the way as much as possible, even if it is only just a quarter inch.

So just a follow up.

Scored a mirror with EC / LED / GTO / Compass on eBay.
Unplugged my (old style bracket 2 wire) mirror from my (4 wire) harness.
Twisted the old mirror off the windshield mount.
Twisted the new mirror on the windshield mount.
Plugged in my old 4 wire connector to the new mirror’s 9 wire connector.
And started up the car.
The compass lit right up and the mirror glass (EC) dimmed.
I pushed the (GTO) homelink buttons and the LED would light up.
I have yet to test the functionality of the homelink as my garage door opener is broken ATM.
I shut off the car and the alarm LED started blinking as normal.

Easy as that, took like 15 minutes.

The compass was wrong at first and only took a little while to recalibrate, but i didn't have to do anything.
I went for a drive and it started displaying the correct direction on its own, on my way home from the drive.

Some pics below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0