XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Lynxx
Rep
Drives: Nissan 300ZX now, X1 soon

Prospective X1 Buyer Questions

Hello X1 owners! I’m considering a X1 xDrive28i. I have some questions that I forgot to ask about when I looked at one at the dealership. Thank you.

1. The automatic engine-kill feature comes as standard equipment on the x28i model. I’m wondering if this feature should be a deal killer for me and to look for something else. It must really shorten a battery’s and a starter’s life. Yes, I know its purpose is to improve gas mileage. But it seems like it’ll be a nuisance in stop and go traffic if the engine cuts off every time one comes to a stop. Is there a switch on the dash that allows the driver to turn the engine-kill feature on/off?

2. My current car has a turbocharger so I’m well aware of turbo issues. Is the X1’s turbo liquid cooled? Turbo manufacturer’s name? Does it have an engine oil radiator?

3. Timing belt or timing chain on the 4 cylinder engine?

4. Does it have power rotating outside mirrors? I think the word is “folding” although they don’t really fold; rather they rotate. Semantics aside, it allows the entire outside mirror assembly to rotate from being perpendicular to the door to being parallel to the door. Most cars have manual rotating outside mirrors; power rotating using a dash switch would be better. My garage is narrow so power rotating mirrors would be real helpful.

5. Does BMW sell Service Manuals for the X1?

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

1. Auto Start Stop has a button under the starter to disable it on the 28i (it's not available on the 35i). ASS can also be coded by the dealer to default to off and the button will engage it.

2. Oil cooled, with an auxiliary liquid to air cooler:
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...92&hg=17&fg=05

I've never looked into who makes the turbo itself, here's the part diagram:
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...85&hg=11&fg=50

3. The drivetrain is chain driven, the a/c and power steering (on xDrive cars) are belt driven:
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...73&hg=11&fg=25

4. Yes, the mirrors do fold. It may require the Premium or Ultimate package though, best to check with your dealer.

5. No idea.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
annoyingmouse
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 xdrive28i

A few 2014 drivers (self included) have reported that ASS (automatic stop start) defaults to how you last left it. Turn it off, and it will be off next time you start your car. I'm assuming and hoping BMW thought the feature through before selling several cars with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

I thought BMW moved to an electric A/C compressor and hydraulic steering pump. Otherwise, how does the A/c still run when engine is stopped (ASS)?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
annoyingmouse
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 xdrive28i

ASS won't function if the compressor is not sufficiently charged for whatever the climate control demands.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
I thought BMW moved to an electric A/C compressor and hydraulic steering pump. Otherwise, how does the A/c still run when engine is stopped (ASS)?
Not sure, it's clearly belt driven, but it does mention a magnetic clutch. Since ours doesn't have ASS, I'd never given it much thought.
Appreciate 0