XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

09-01-2016, 08:53 PM   #89
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
Well anyone who isn't blind can look at the video and tell that's BS.

Of course Max is Belgian, and where was the race again?

Bish
So the stewards are corrupt, including the former pro driver, they didn't do anything about the horrible driver Max but we should blame Max for not following the rules that aren't being enforced?
      09-01-2016, 09:10 PM   #90
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTrunks523 View Post
What I meant was that he might end up doing such a thing, and I could see a driver taking a penalty to get back at another driver. It happens in every sport besides golf and pro fishing.
can you give an example of that in F1?
So a deliberate crash not for a rank?

Quote:
There are teams. Ferrari is a Team. RBR is a Team. Merc is a team with in-fighting and it is costing them (though not enough to put them out of the title).
Verstappen has no real in-team fighting I believe? If RBR wants Verstappen to drive differently, I'm sure they'll tell him. I'm also sure that they'll tell him not to listen to the competition but to listen to them (in case they have to tell him that which I doubt)

Quote:
They don't need a black flag. He doesn't even need a penalty. Someone just needs to say "Son. Stop it or we will have to do something."
So a bit like a boxer asking/telling an opponent not to hit that hard where it really hurts? I think there's a referee to decide if it was an illegal punch or not....

Quote:
It seems that everyone except the FIA (because VES is good for ratings due to people liking him pre-antics) and VES are saying the blocks were dangerous.
So basically you're either saying the FIA is corrupt and favouring VES or they're not paying attention and dont know their business?
You know the FIA boss is Jean Todt? I think he know a bit or 2 of F1 racing....let him handle how the FIA should be acting and penalizing.
Sorry to say but I have more confidence in his expertise than in the expertise of 'some guy' on 'some forum'.

Quote:
Next time you are out on the highway, try having a buddy cut you off at 100mph. Imagine doubling that and let me know how it works out.
I dont see any similarities between driving on the highway and racing at the absolute highest level in the world. REally, no similarities at all.

Most of the critics that I've seen (and are of some importance, ie have raced/worked on high level themselves in F1) and are negative about Verstappen have a hidden agenda (or non hidden agenda). Pretty Obvious someone working for example for Mercedes or Ferrari being negative about one of the greatest threats to come.... If they can blame the competition, they will.
As for blocking passes at high speeds, that was very normal in the heydays of F1. Senna was a master at that. One of the hardest drivers to pass, balancing on the line of what was and wasn't allowed.
But maybe verstappen's driving style is a result of his opinion. last year he said that he thinks the current penalty system (the 2014 system) where drivers can get penalty points (resulting in driving bans) is not good for F1 resulting in drivers taking less riscs and giving less spectacular driving for the fans (he was the one driver with most overtaking actions and given most penalty points).
His opinion is that there should be spectacular and legendaric races. And it's no secret that F1 is not as spectacular anymore as in its heydays (70's/80's and 90's imho). Maybe he tries to get that back. Sure he'll make a lot of enemies that way, including all people who dont see the glorydays of F1, but I think it's not a bad opinion. I lust for those days.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 09-01-2016 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 01:20 AM   #91
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
^ which begs the question, was Max promoted too soon?
Well he is the only non-Mercedes winner this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
Will he respond to the justified criticism the right way and make necessary adjustments, or will he continue to drive like a mad man to justify his new preliminary nickname MadMax?
Vettel was once labeled the "Crash Kid".

He will mature in a great driver like Vettel did.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 07:40 AM   #92
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
Well he is the only non-Mercedes winner this year.

Vettel was once labeled the "Crash Kid".

He will mature in a great driver like Vettel did.
The only reason he won that race was because Rosberg decided to take his own teammate and himself out of it...

Maybe he will mature as time goes on, but for now it seems unlikely after his comments following the race that he will not change his approach and will continue to be very aggressive...
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
Datka450.00
      09-02-2016, 08:19 AM   #93
SSJTrunks523
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328xic '11.0 M3 DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
can you give an example of that in F1?
So a deliberate crash not for a rank?

Verstappen has no real in-team fighting I believe? If RBR wants Verstappen to drive differently, I'm sure they'll tell him. I'm also sure that they'll tell him not to listen to the competition but to listen to them (in case they have to tell him that which I doubt)

So a bit like a boxer asking/telling an opponent not to hit that hard where it really hurts? I think there's a referee to decide if it was an illegal punch or not....

So basically you're either saying the FIA is corrupt and favouring VES or they're not paying attention and dont know their business?
You know the FIA boss is Jean Todt? I think he know a bit or 2 of F1 racing....let him handle how the FIA should be acting and penalizing.
Sorry to say but I have more confidence in his expertise than in the expertise of 'some guy' on 'some forum'.

I dont see any similarities between driving on the highway and racing at the absolute highest level in the world. REally, no similarities at all.

Most of the critics that I've seen (and are of some importance, ie have raced/worked on high level themselves in F1) and are negative about Verstappen have a hidden agenda (or non hidden agenda). Pretty Obvious someone working for example for Mercedes or Ferrari being negative about one of the greatest threats to come.... If they can blame the competition, they will.
As for blocking passes at high speeds, that was very normal in the heydays of F1. Senna was a master at that. One of the hardest drivers to pass, balancing on the line of what was and wasn't allowed.
But maybe verstappen's driving style is a result of his opinion. last year he said that he thinks the current penalty system (the 2014 system) where drivers can get penalty points (resulting in driving bans) is not good for F1 resulting in drivers taking less riscs and giving less spectacular driving for the fans (he was the one driver with most overtaking actions and given most penalty points).
His opinion is that there should be spectacular and legendaric races. And it's no secret that F1 is not as spectacular anymore as in its heydays (70's/80's and 90's imho). Maybe he tries to get that back. Sure he'll make a lot of enemies that way, including all people who dont see the glorydays of F1, but I think it's not a bad opinion. I lust for those days.

I used to be quite the avid boxing fan. Ref's have had careers ruined by bad calls. Defined by their mis-actions. Look up Chaves v Taylor. Should have either called the fight earlier, or let it go.

Boxing is not exactly an uncorrupted sport.

Not some guy on a forum. Every driver not on RBR thinks he's in the wrong.

Senna crashing into Prost is an example of F1 not for rank. Willing to take himself out to hurt another driver's championship shot. The epitome of unprofessional.

It's not worth the effort. You are clearly so pro-VES that you care not for the sport, or safety, but only his standings. Bringing only opinion and refusing to bring any facts.

FYI driving like that landed him P11. Keep that up and might as well just put Kvyat back in his seat.

2011.0 E92 M3 M-DCT ZCP ZTP ZPP Black Wrapped Jerez Black + 2007 E92 328xic 6MT
2007 YZF-R6 + 2001 Honda Shadow ACE
1989 RS Camaro - HO 350, Dynomax headers, flowmaster AT exhaust, 4.56 gears
2015 STI Launch Edition
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 08:28 AM   #94
SSJTrunks523
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
The only reason he won that race was because Rosberg decided to take his own teammate and himself out of it...

Maybe he will mature as time goes on, but for now it seems unlikely after his comments following the race that he will not change his approach and will continue to be very aggressive...
Hell of a driver and I think 2017 changes will be good for RBR. Might be good for older guys too (who raced under similar grip specs).

Sadly only reason any non-Merc driver wins right now is if they have problems.

Monaco - poor RIC. I mean really having one of the best pit crews (arguably the best) steal victory from you has to be a terrible feeling.

Agree - the comments give me the bad feeling that he has no intention to growup

2015 STI Launch Edition
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 08:36 AM   #95
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
Well anyone who isn't blind can look at the video and tell that's BS.

Of course Max is Belgian, and where was the race again?

Bish

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 08:39 AM   #96
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Come on, guys.
We're talking about a 18 year old kid. Of course this is a very special talent coming trough.
And just like Senna and Schumacher before, he doesn't care what the established drivers think of him.

The defensive move on Kimi at the Kemmel straight might the dangerous but remember it is still within the rules.

Everybody is bitching about how boring F1 has become, so we'd better embrace this kid.

- an unbiased dutch dude
      09-02-2016, 08:57 AM   #97
SSJTrunks523
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdM5 View Post
Come on, guys.
We're talking about a 18 year old kid. Of course this is a very special talent coming trough.
And just like Senna and Schumacher before, he doesn't care what the established drivers think of him.

The defensive move on Kimi at the Kemmel straight might the dangerous but remember it is still within the rules.

Everybody is bitching about how boring F1 has become, so we'd better embrace this kid.

- an unbiased dutch dude

2015 STI Launch Edition
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 10:04 AM   #98
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3...arning-by-fia/

Max Verstappen has been given a "gentle warning" by FIA Race Director Charlie Whiting over his driving standards, according to Red Bull Team Principal Christian Horner.

Verstappen clashed with the Ferrari drivers at the start of the Belgian Grand Prix, and defended aggressively from Kimi Räikkönen as their paths crossed again later in the race.

Verstappen, who has vowed not to change his approach, met with Whiting in the Monza paddock on Friday morning, ahead of first practice, to run through last weekend's events.

"Charlie was keen to show him a replay," Horner told Sky Sports.

"It was a gentle warning to say, 'look, if you do that again, it will probably be a black and white flag'."
Appreciate 4
hoyasaxa686.50
MKSixer34171.50
      09-02-2016, 10:08 AM   #99
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
So the stewards are corrupt, including the former pro driver, they didn't do anything about the horrible driver Max but we should blame Max for not following the rules that aren't being enforced?
You have completely mis-interpreted what I was trying, in a tongue in cheek fashion, to say.

I was NOT saying that anyone was "corrupt". Rather that since this was Spa, that there would have been other 'pressures' exerted even covertly in the minds of the stewards not to penalize a Belgian driver. If you don't think that those types of issues way on people's minds when trying to decide whether to impose a penalty of some kind, you simply don't know human nature.

Bish
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 10:58 AM   #100
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3...arning-by-fia/

Max Verstappen has been given a "gentle warning" by FIA Race Director Charlie Whiting over his driving standards, according to Red Bull Team Principal Christian Horner.

Verstappen clashed with the Ferrari drivers at the start of the Belgian Grand Prix, and defended aggressively from Kimi Räikkönen as their paths crossed again later in the race.

Verstappen, who has vowed not to change his approach, met with Whiting in the Monza paddock on Friday morning, ahead of first practice, to run through last weekend's events.

"Charlie was keen to show him a replay," Horner told Sky Sports.

"It was a gentle warning to say, 'look, if you do that again, it will probably be a black and white flag'."
Perfect.

Love that it's only a "gentle warning" that if he does it again he's getting ejected. lol
      09-02-2016, 11:11 AM   #101
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyasaxa View Post
Perfect.

Love that it's only a "gentle warning" that if he does it again he's getting ejected. lol
Don't be ridiculous. Never gonna happen.
Right behind Lewis, Max is/soon will be the most marketable driver in F1.

By the way, that story is not complete:

"Max Verstappen has been given a "gentle warning" about his driving in the wake of his controversial behaviour in the Belgian Grand Prix.

FIA F1 director Charlie Whiting called in Verstappen for a discussion on Friday ahead of the Italian Grand Prix.

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner said Whiting had told Verstappen he risked disqualification.

"Charlie was keen to show him a video of Spa. It was a gentle warning," Horner said.
"Like any 18-year-old the criticism [from other drivers] seems to be going in one ear and out the other. He really doesn't care," added Horner.

"We're all here talking about it and it's that spirit he's got that is bringing fans trackside."
The meeting follows a series of aggressive defensive moves by Verstappen this season, which has led to complaints from some drivers - in particular the teenager's late move in defence against Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen at the Belgian Grand Prix.

Horner, speaking to Sky, said Verstappen had been warned he could receive a black and white flag for such behaviour in future.

The black and white flag is shown to a driver who is considered to be guilty of unsportsmanlike behavior.
It is shown only once before the driver then receives a black flag, meaning disqualification if the driver does not change his behaviour.

Whiting's intervention comes after Raikkonen said Verstappen would cause a major accident "sooner or later" if he did not change his approach.

But three-time world champion Jackie Stewart said: "I think he'll come around. He needs a wee talking-to. But that will happen within the team. He's a huge talent."

The drivers were expected to discuss the incident in their briefing with Whiting later on Friday but it was not mentioned - almost certainly because it had been dealt with by Whiting already."

[source: Beeb F1]
      09-03-2016, 08:03 AM   #102
SSJTrunks523
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
No denying he's a huge talent and a great draw. Both great for the sport.

I'm happy the FIA finally sat him down though, letting him know that what he is doing is wrong not only ethically, but they consider it against rules of conduct for safety. That's all he really needed. Kid is too fast, smart and talented to keep doing something if it will endanger his chances of winning.

What I got was: Next time warning (blk + white). If he does it after the warning, he's gonna be in deep doo-doo.

2015 STI Launch Edition
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 01:21 AM   #103
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Max' father Jos can be quite grumpy sometimes as well, Dutch genes.
The Belgian part(his classy mother) makes him do things he later will regret.

But as stated he is only 18.... and a big talent: As if Senna and MS were sissyboys when they started or further in their carreers.

So we have an 18 year old Dutch/Belgian supertalent in F1, people love it, even his 'mistakes'. F1 is fun again.

Are there any of you/us here who has driven an F1 car lately in a pack heading for T1. Me neither.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2016, 10:03 AM   #104
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post

But as stated he is only 18.... and a big talent: As if Senna and MS were sissyboys when they started or further in their carreers.

So we have an 18 year old Dutch/Belgian supertalent in F1, people love it, even his 'mistakes'. F1 is fun again.

Are there any of you/us here who has driven an F1 car lately in a pack heading for T1. Me neither.

Cheers
Robin
Congrats Robin !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8679.50
      09-16-2016, 12:10 PM   #105
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium
Quote:

Cheers
Robin
Congrats Robin !
Thanks. Dank u. Gracias. Danke schön. Merci.

For what?

For being chauvinistic?

I like Kimi, I like Vettel, I like Max, I love Ferrari and thats about it in F1... So a dilemma for me.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #106
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Dank u. Gracias. Danke schön. Merci.

For what?

For being chauvinistic?

I like Kimi, I like Vettel, I like Max, I love Ferrari and thats about it in F1... So a dilemma for me.

Cheers
Robin
I see Robin ..
Can't wait to see Mad-Max in Singapore !

Zal dit gedeelte maar best in het Nederlands doen...
De meeste Amerikanen staan steeds volledig achter Hamilton , en persoonlijk vind ik hem een verwend kereltje waar de arrogantie vanaf druipt ...
Als Max de kans kreeg om met die Mercedes te rijden werd hij zonder enige twijfel wereldkampioen !
Ik duim alvast voor Mad-Max

Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8679.50
      09-17-2016, 03:41 AM   #107
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Zal dit gedeelte maar best in het Nederlands doen...
De meeste Amerikanen staan steeds volledig achter Hamilton , en persoonlijk vind ik hem een verwend kereltje waar de arrogantie vanaf druipt ...
Als Max de kans kreeg om met die Mercedes te rijden werd hij zonder enige twijfel wereldkampioen !
Ik duim alvast voor Mad-Max
Ik ook, maar ja. Heb niks met Lewis. Ben wel Kimi fan al jaren. Geweldige vent vind ik.

Mvrgr
Robin
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2016, 05:50 AM   #108
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Ik ook, maar ja. Heb niks met Lewis. Ben wel Kimi fan al jaren. Geweldige vent vind ik.

Mvrgr
Robin
Inderdaad Robin , ik vind Kimi ook wel een sympatieke persoonlijkheid .
Ben hier alvast af aan het tellen voor de Singapore qualificaties, en hoop dat Red Bull die software fout in Max zijn anti-stall heeft kunnen oplossen .
Vandaar dat Max al van in Spa 3-4 plaatsen verloor van bij de start omdat zijn launch te lang in zijn anti-stall bleef hangen ..

Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8679.50
      10-03-2016, 11:06 AM   #109
Datka
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 ,2021 M340i

MadMax called Vettel crazy at Malaysia after doing exactly the same thing(dive bombing) what he did to Kimi at Belgium
This kid has talent no doubt, but I am beginning to dislike him too at this point.
      10-03-2016, 11:20 AM   #110
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datka
MadMax called Vettel crazy at Malaysia after doing exactly the same thing(dive bombing) what he did to Kimi at Belgium
This kid has talent no doubt, but I am beginning to dislike him too at this point.
Sky's commentators were saying that VES turned in on VET, too, but I don't know what I think.