XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

03-07-2014, 10:38 AM   #67
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

You guys are girlie men....get a real man's vehicle and you won't have to worry about traffic or where to park it, only the gas mileage....

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #68
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

Well I guess I shouldn't have said "stop whining" but frankly that's how it comes across when people say of the X1, "I love it but wish it had X Y and Z." My point is that the price of a vehicle is substantially determined by production factors. The more options available, the higher the overall cost of the car for everyone. So it's not just a matter of "I'm only saying I'd pay more for soft-close doors." I'm sure BMW knows their engineering and production process and determined the total X1 package, options included, in the initial design of the car. Otherwise, why would the base price of a 3 Wagon be higher than a base X1?

Maybe the next X1 will have a different cost profile, and more "luxury" options, such as soft-close doors. Then we'll hear, "But it's FWD!"

So it's always something, as they say.

And as for the original post - yeah, the X5 is huge compared to the X1. I hate to park in "compact" spaces, but the fact is, my X1 fits within the lines of those spaces (though certainly not as nicely as a true compact). When I'm driving, I don't feel as if I'm in a smaller vehicle. then when I see another X1 on the road, usually surrounded by true SUVs, I realize that's it's just not that big. Big enough for me though! I love it for what is is.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #69
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

After a lifetime in relatively small cars, the X1's external dimensions suit me just fine; it's not hard to judge on the road or when parking.
No major gripes about the interior dimensions as well; there's enough room for four median-ish folks.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #70
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

I think what annoys some people, including myself, is that in order to get more luxury features, we must purchase a larger vehicle. I would like to see some smaller vehicles offer the same luxury features as the much larger vehicles. Bigger isn't always better. Some people prefer a small vehicle.

As a single guy with no family, I don't need a huge vehicle -- even a 2 seater would suit me fine. But I want some luxury and want a car that is AWD that I can drive through the snow in the winter. Unfortunately I am forced to get a typical large family vehicle if I want all of those things. At least they are finally starting to come out with vehicles like what I want, and the X1 and Range Rover Evoque are the closest things out there to what I want, both of which were not available 5 years ago. I hope to see more options in the future. I really do like some of these new concept cars they keep showing at the car shows which appear to be small 2-door crossovers.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 01:25 PM   #71
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
I think what annoys some people, including myself, is that in order to get more luxury features, we must purchase a larger vehicle. I would like to see some smaller vehicles offer the same luxury features as the much larger vehicles. Bigger isn't always better. Some people prefer a small vehicle.

As a single guy with no family, I don't need a huge vehicle -- even a 2 seater would suit me fine. But I want some luxury and want a car that is AWD that I can drive through the snow in the winter. Unfortunately I am forced to get a typical large family vehicle if I want all of those things. At least they are finally starting to come out with vehicles like what I want, and the X1 and Range Rover Evoque are the closest things out there to what I want, both of which were not available 5 years ago. I hope to see more options in the future. I really do like some of these new concept cars they keep showing at the car shows which appear to be small 2-door crossovers.
What do you consider luxury features? I dont' consider soft-close doors or auto-hatch closing as luxury items. I consider them laziness items. I consider finer leather, real quality woods, thicker seating, heating steering wheel, heated rear seats, audophile quality soundsystem as luxury items.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 11:53 PM   #72
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
What do you consider luxury features? I dont' consider soft-close doors or auto-hatch closing as luxury items. I consider them laziness items. I consider finer leather, real quality woods, thicker seating, heating steering wheel, heated rear seats, audophile quality soundsystem as luxury items.
Then you likely would choose the Evoque over the X1 in a heartbeat!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 12:02 AM   #73
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I consider both luxury items. But yes, I don't need auto closing doors. What I miss from my X5 is more the quality of the vehicle in terms of how quiet it was. I'm guessing the window glass and doors were thicker, and there was more insulation. It was also much smoother over the bumps, yet handled just as good as my X1, maybe even a bit better. Also the quality of the interior was much nicer, everything was soft touch instead of the hard plastic we have in our X1s. The center console was wider and had more space to store things, more little compartments and such.

My problem is that I don't want a huge vehicle that is then going to get 15 mpg. When you get an X5 or X6 compared to an X1, you are paying all that extra money for much more than the size increase. It has many more features and is quieter, smoother ride, better quality interior, etc. I'd like them to put all of that into a smaller SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
Yes, I agree. Problem was I felt like the Evoque was way overpriced. It was definitely more of what I wanted than the X1. I suppose if I was buying the difference would have been closer, but I was leasing and my X1 cost me $360/month while the Evoque would have been about $200/month more.

Probably this was due to Land Rovers poor reliability and they don't hold their value well, so poor leasing rates.

For now I have my X1 for 32 more months, and I'm happy with it, but I do wish there had been more choices out there for me.

Last edited by Eric5273; 03-08-2014 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #74
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerX1 View Post
Still comparing 2 different cars are we.
If I had the money then I would go for the X6.
Racism, it isn't on the photo.

I had an X6 50i that was Dinan badged.

Great vehicle, used oil and sucked gas.

Now I drive an X1 35i

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #75
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
I had an X6 50i that was Dinan badged.

Great vehicle, used oil and sucked gas.

Now I drive an X1 35i
so you are happier with the X1 vs. the X6..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #76
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

My guess is he's only happier with the X1 when he looks in his bank account LOL.

That was my case with the X5 vs X1. X5 was a nicer vehicle, but just could not justify the extra expense, especially how much I was spending on fuel.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #77
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I consider both luxury items. But yes, I don't need auto closing doors. What I miss from my X5 is more the quality of the vehicle in terms of how quiet it was. I'm guessing the window glass and doors were thicker, and there was more insulation. It was also much smoother over the bumps, yet handled just as good as my X1, maybe even a bit better. Also the quality of the interior was much nicer, everything was soft touch instead of the hard plastic we have in our X1s. The center console was wider and had more space to store things, more little compartments and such.

My problem is that I don't want a huge vehicle that is then going to get 15 mpg. When you get an X5 or X6 compared to an X1, you are paying all that extra money for much more than the size increase. It has many more features and is quieter, smoother ride, better quality interior, etc. I'd like them to put all of that into a smaller SUV.

Yes, I agree. Problem was I felt like the Evoque was way overpriced. It was definitely more of what I wanted than the X1. I suppose if I was buying the difference would have been closer, but I was leasing and my X1 cost me $360/month while the Evoque would have been about $200/month more.

Probably this was due to Land Rovers poor reliability and they don't hold their value well, so poor leasing rates.

For now I have my X1 for 32 more months, and I'm happy with it, but I do wish there had been more choices out there for me.
Well if they put all that luxury into x1 you might have to pay 200 more a month. I can't believe how cheap leases are on the x1. Hopefully if I ever sell mine I will get a lot of money back. I wonder what percentage of people do leases.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #78
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No I think it is ugly and I don't understand that small rear window. Looks like it was crushed.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 09:35 PM   #79
wantm135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i m sport

this is a stupid post ugh
      03-08-2014, 10:50 PM   #80
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
I own both - I replaced two cars last year for an X1 and an Evoque. The Evoque is far more comfortable and spacious, while the X1 is far more nimble and aggressive.

Both turned out to be excellent winter cars, by the way. Even with 12" snow and no plowing, both handled admirably.
The X1 gets a plus for the way it four-wheel-slides in a very controlled manner.
The Evoque for how the magneto suspension rolls over ice chunks without complaint, and how it can run at extremely low speeds without spinning. And the front windshield de-icing wires are just awesome.
A minus to the X1 for the door construction, where snow on the roof falls down into the seats when the doors are opened. And for not having a heated M steering wheel.
But boy, is the X1 fun to toss around corners on snow and ice. It's likely due to the near perfect weight balance between front and rear, and the hydraulic steering doesn't hurt either.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 10:57 PM   #81
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
No I think it is ugly and I don't understand that small rear window. Looks like it was crushed.
The Evoque's small rear window isn't much of a problem, because it has larger side mirrors. Which come in handy when the car is full, and you can't see anything out the rear anyhow.
Yes, it looks like someone stepped on it. So? You don't look at it when you drive it.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 03:40 AM   #82
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I think the Evoque looks beautiful and would have chosen it over the X1 had the price been closer. I really love the interior of the Evoque and how it has real brushed aluminum and the materials are much nicer than the X1. From my recollection of driving it, it had a smoother ride than the X1, but the X1 handles better. I think the X1 accelerates slightly better as well.

I also have an eye on that new Lexus small SUV that is supposed to be coming out next year. I really love how the RX drives, but it was just way too big. I'd love to see a smaller Lexus SUV that is a bit more sporty but still has all the luxury of the RX. I guess we will see what it is when it comes out.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 07:23 AM   #83
Zayken
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: IX1 30e / f40 118i

For many of the people who live in some historic cities that exists for thousand years such as Rome, Athens, Madrid or some Asian cities hence their roads are small, parking areas just doesnt exists etc. Small dimensions in a car are pre required .

What i think ?
BMW could give the adaptive drive at X1, the comfort seats, ventilation for seats, HUD, LEDS, more individual options etc.

Price would go higher? And ?? As long as even an X3 looks massive in our small roads the choices are limited.

I will have my new ordered LMB X1 one of these rainy days . I said goodbuy to my 2010 X6 for the above reasons.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 09:07 AM   #84
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep

Quote:
how much I was spending on fuel.
Yeah every time I put gas in keeps reminding me. I haven't given up the driving fun, just giving up less to exxon/chevron/shell. But I also went from an 09 to a 13 year model when I made the swap.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 09:28 AM   #85
Randy7fx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
Yeah every time I put gas in keeps reminding me. I haven't given up the driving fun, just giving up less to exxon/chevron/shell. But I also went from an 09 to a 13 year model when I made the swap.
Was your X6 quicker than the tuned X1?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 05:01 PM   #86
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

Quote:
I think the Evoque looks beautiful and would have chosen it over the X1 had the price been closer. I really love the interior of the Evoque and how it has real brushed aluminum and the materials are much nicer than the X1. From my recollection of driving it, it had a smoother ride than the X1, but the X1 handles better. I think the X1 accelerates slightly better as well.
+1

We were able to negotiate a lower price on an X3 28i vs the Evoque. The price, driving experience and warranty/maintenance made the X1 a no-brainer over the Evoque for us. The Evoque needs better acceleration and a lower price. The new ZF 9-speed tranny is a step in the right direction.

We will look at the X4, X5, and Porsche Macan in another year or so.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #87
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zayken View Post
For many of the people who live in some historic cities that exists for thousand years such as Rome, Athens, Madrid or some Asian cities hence their roads are small, parking areas just doesnt exists etc. Small dimensions in a car are pre required .
Keep in mind that the X1 is longer than it looks. It's noticeably longer than the Evoque, for example. It's thus not the best city car for parallel parking.
It's relatively narrow, though, and you can fold in the mirrors which is a plus.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 10:06 PM   #88
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy7fx View Post
Was your X6 quicker than the tuned X1?
I don't know the true answer to that yet. Still waiting to get back to the track after the Dinan tune. One of the local ones (1/4 mile) closed on us.

Appreciate 0