Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
Bimmerized
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive

LED brake lights?

I have a 2013 X1 w/ the Lighting Package. I believe the Standards and Options publications indicates that LED brake lights are Standard, regardless of configuration.

I looked through the taillights and noticed incandescent bulbs in the assemblies and no sign of LED bulbs. Did US bound cars not get this Standard feature or are they only referring to the high mounted third brake light strip which has LED bulbs? Misleading as many other cars have LED in the tailight cluster as well.

For those outside the US, please let us know if your car was equipped with LED brake ligths in the main taillight assembly. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
ScottE
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 xDrive 28i Mineral Gray

I've got the lighting pkg. too, and wondered the same thing. According to this Euro-sourced video, it looks like a mixed set up with LEDs powering the static light pipes and incandescents for braking duty:

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
Bimmerized
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive

thanks, so from the vid. it looks like LED taillights and standard brake lights. I'll have to get out to see mine while the headlights are on, preferably in the dark!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 03:03 AM   #4
superbogel
B1990BB
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: BMW E84 + F10

Hi,

I have the same taillights, but how come my led light is not coming out?? anyone know about this?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

I think this is either a case of mistaken advertisement or false advertisement. The taillamps are clearly LED but the outer and inner brake lamps are horrid incandescent bulbs. It seems X1 owners got the short end of the stick relative to the 3 and 5 series that have LED brake lamps and LED front turn/parking arrays. It makes no sense to mix 'n match. In my opinion this is an egregious oversight that will not likely be remedied. Has anyone reached out to BMW about this matter. It stinks when I pull up behind a Audi and see those nice LED brake lamps and we X1 drivers have none. Not to mention the safety aspect of LED BRAKE LAMPS.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
Romuloschumann
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Isn't it possible to replace the standard to LED ones?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 01:49 AM   #7
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Re - LED lights

If you look at the 3 and 5 series LED brake lights they are multiple, horizontally stacked arrays of LEDS.

We would need LEDs with a CAN (controller area network) to prevent triggering error codes on the onboard computer (OBC). The single bulb may not look as nice as the factory LED brake light arrays.
Appreciate 0