XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-12-2013, 02:04 AM   #1
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

28i Oil Temp via OBD2 Port?

So, I'm still on the fence on the X1. I'm thinking of ditching my '11 MCS, which doesn't like to stop in the snow or damp conditions, for either a X1 or WRX. The 35i has the few features I want as standard equipment except for heated front seats. Unfortunately, no one around here sells a 'lesser optioned' 35i....they're all fairly well equipped and in the low range of a X3. That leaves the 28i, but there is no oil temp gauge. My MCS doesn't have one and it drives me nuts since I like to make sure it's up to temp before not driving like an old man. So....does anyone know if this temp info is available via the OBD2 port so an aftermarket gauge/monitor can be added? Google failed me but maybe I just suck at searching.

Also, to hijack my own thread, any updates on throttle lag with the 28i? Is everyone used to it now or do people just periodically reset the throttle body adaptor or....was there really a sw/fw update from the dealer to alleviate this?
      07-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
The 35i has the few features I want as standard equipment except for heated front seats. Unfortunately, no one around here sells a 'lesser optioned' 35i....they're all fairly well equipped and in the low range of a X3.
Why not do like most BMW buyers, and order it the way you want it equipped instead of taking one from the lot?

As for the Subaru Impreza, sure, it's a sporty car, but you need a WRX STI to get the performance of the X1. The WRX is a smaller car, with a much lower ride, and is 6-speed manual only, where the X1 is 6-speed (35i) / 8-speed (28i) automatic, paddle shifters optional. So it's not really an apples-to-apples comparison.
Except, perhaps, price, where the 5-door WRX STI is priced in-between the 28i and 35i. The non-STI is priced slighly lower than the 28i, but you also get less performance than the 28i.
But if you can live with people thinking "ricer", and the dipsomaniac engine, the WRX is not a bad car.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Oil temperature, coolant temp, cat temp and intake temp are four temperature sensors that come to mind when I've used my ODBII on my 35i and the 28i should be no different on those sensors. I think there are about 40 sensors on the X1 you can read, quite a few...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
txchas
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 Sdrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
As for the Subaru Impreza, sure, it's a sporty car, but you need a WRX STI to get the performance of the X1. The WRX is a smaller car, with a much lower ride, and is 6-speed manual only, where the X1 is 6-speed (35i) / 8-speed (28i) automatic, paddle shifters optional. So it's not really an apples-to-apples comparison.
Except, perhaps, price, where the 5-door WRX STI is priced in-between the 28i and 35i. The non-STI is priced slighly lower than the 28i, but you also get less performance than the 28i.
But if you can live with people thinking "ricer", and the dipsomaniac engine, the WRX is not a bad car.
The WRX starts at $25795 and has been found to do 0-60 in 4.7 (nope, not a typo) seconds by magazines in the past. It also has a 5 speed manual. The STI has the 6 speed manual. And the "dipsomaniac" engine has been on Ward's list of 10 best engines. It is a fantastic car for performance and has a great all wheel drive system. The cargo space in the WRX 5-door is 44 cu ft with the back seats folded compared to the X1's 56 cu ft.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by txchas View Post
The WRX starts at $25795 and has been found to do 0-60 in 4.7 (nope, not a typo) seconds by magazines in the past.
4.7 seconds was a special edition sedan. BMWs sedan versions of 28i are quicker too.

But again, I think the WRX is a great little car, no doubt about that. It's just not for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

lol....I wasn't trying to compare the two vehicles by any means. They are just 2 options I'm considering, each with their own pros and cons and each bringing something different to the table.

For instance, the WRX has a much lower price point, manual transmission (damn you, non-CONUS X1!), different design, more HP but less TQ coupled with a completely different power curve (and use of a single turbo). I was considering the WRX Limited which has more HP and TQ (same as the STi) than the xDrive 28i and a still cheaper price point. Compared to the 35i, it has a slightly more HP and a little less TQ but similar performance.

The X1, on the other hand, gives a bit more sophistication, less bland styling, more cargo room, better mpg (for the 28i....where even the real world #'s from those that complain about it are better than the WRX's advertised mpg), more options, far less turbo lag, and all that lovely TQ up front.

Both handle well, offer good cargo capacity, and both have very good AWD systems. They're just different beasts is all.

The WRX does have a bit of a 'rive' stereotype. For sure, Honda, Evo, and other WRX/STi fanboys would try to line up with me, but I get that now in the in the Moupe. Plus, the MCS is actually a pretty loud car and the exhaust has a bit of a drone to it. Factor in the pop 'n burble and.....it's a bit on the rice....er....schnitzel side of the coin. Plus, a BMW carries a bit of a snob/prick stereotype so I'm damned either way. Anyways, moving on...

To answer your point, Grovsnus, ordering one is an option but not a preferable one. I have some work deployments coming up that will keep me in and out of town and quite busy up through the end of October so taking delivery of something would be very difficult. Plus, if I were to order one new, I'd consider the option of European Delivery which would be impossible to do given said forthcoming work schedule. The X1 would be a winter vehicle (and CostCo vehicle......damn that CostCo...) so I'd need/want it before the end of Nov. I also still wrestle in my head whether I want to pay that much for an X1 (re: 35i) but that is obviously something for me to terms with and decide on. A well equipped M-Sport 28i is about the same price as a M-Sport 35i w/ heated front seats. I do need to drive a X1 again to get more thoughts on visibility when backing up. Driving a Moupe and MCS kinda eliminates the perspective of reversing a larger vehicle. Also, while I'd love to have the 35i's engine but I'm not sure how much of a premium it is worth to me and if I'd ultimately regret not getting it several years from now. I've been fine with the power (factored in with weight) of my MCS as a second car and the N20 would give me even more pep and acceleration that the N18.

I will say, though........I'm glad that BMW broke out with a separate Lighting Package for the 2014 MY. Getting Premium Pkg just to get the Tech Pkg for Xenons would've been a nogo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edx1 View Post
Oil temperature, coolant temp, cat temp and intake temp are four temperature sensors that come to mind when I've used my ODBII on my 35i and the 28i should be no different on those sensors. I think there are about 40 sensors on the X1 you can read, quite a few...
Good to know. Thanks! I suppose it would only be a matter of time before Scangauge or someone else is compatible.

Last edited by bosstones; 07-13-2013 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0