Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

03-06-2015, 08:40 AM   #1
zoul
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35i

New Guy with an X1

I’m new here and I just got my first X1.

Previously I had a 2004 325XI Wagon that I absolutely loved, and then a 2008 328XI wagon that I didn't care for so much.

And then there’s the X1. I bought it last Saturday and I couldn't be happier. It’s like my 2004 wagon with everything upgraded.

It a Valencia Orange 2013 Xline 28i with 2,500 miles on it ( yes, you read that right). It has every option including Xenon lights.

I’ve been reading the site a bit and now comes the list of the things that I am going to do. I swear this will be as bad as my motorcycle.

First off, there are a lot of shiny part that I want to make black. It has more than I have seen on another one.

This will include the rocker panel and window trim. The roof rails are also silver and I want to make black, do in need to change these or can I Plastidip them?

Then I’m thinking that I’ll probably do the H&R Springs. Everything that I have read on this site makes it seem like it’s the bomb, so who am I to disagree.

After that I will be looking at some performance upgrades. Not much, I just want it to be quicker when I step on the pedal. It’s like there is this lag for a moment before it picks up. Right now my 2003 forester is quicker (for a brief period) than my X1, and I want to remedy that.

Here’s another question – Wheel spacers – What’s the gain in that mod?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 06:43 AM   #2
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
Hello, Fredneck. ;-)

H&R springs are great so long as you don't need the extra ground clearance. It's one of the best mods I've done to any car I've owned.
      03-07-2015, 10:15 PM   #3
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
If you want more power, you have 2 options. JB4, and Dinan. Dina has a warranty and gives a slight boost in power. JB4 has no warranty, is more intuitive and makes the car become an animal. I was able to break all 4 loose with JB4, not with my Dinan.

Wheel spacers just make the wheels more flush with the fender. My opinion, it's the cheap way out and they can be unsafe. Not saying they're all unsafe, but I've seen what they can do when the crack. Getting aftermarket wheels made with aggressive offsets will make the wheel flush with the fender, give you a wider contact patch (if done right) and is just the best way of doing it.

H&R makes the best springs in the world, bar none. If I could do my kit again, I'd either go with H&R or KW V1 coilovers. My AC Schnitzer springs are rocks. I'm convinced there's actually no springs on my car, just something that looks like it.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #4
Shredjim
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 x28 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoul View Post
I’m new here and I just got my first X1.

Previously I had a 2004 325XI Wagon that I absolutely loved, and then a 2008 328XI wagon that I didn't care for so much.

And then there’s the X1. I bought it last Saturday and I couldn't be happier. It’s like my 2004 wagon with everything upgraded.

It a Valencia Orange 2013 Xline 28i with 2,500 miles on it ( yes, you read that right). It has every option including Xenon lights.

I’ve been reading the site a bit and now comes the list of the things that I am going to do. I swear this will be as bad as my motorcycle.

First off, there are a lot of shiny part that I want to make black. It has more than I have seen on another one.

This will include the rocker panel and window trim. The roof rails are also silver and I want to make black, do in need to change these or can I Plastidip them?

Then I’m thinking that I’ll probably do the H&R Springs. Everything that I have read on this site makes it seem like it’s the bomb, so who am I to disagree.

After that I will be looking at some performance upgrades. Not much, I just want it to be quicker when I step on the pedal. It’s like there is this lag for a moment before it picks up. Right now my 2003 forester is quicker (for a brief period) than my X1, and I want to remedy that.

Here’s another question – Wheel spacers – What’s the gain in that mod?
If you don't like all the chrome parts, maybe you should not have bought a car with the x-line trim? Too bad you are in Md. cause I would offer to swap my black parts for your chrome ones. I already upgraded to the 18" 322 wheels that come on the x-line because I think think they are the best looking X1 wheel. How do you like the run flats compared to your other BMW's that probably didn't have them? I ditched them for regular Michelin tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 07:56 PM   #5
zoul
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kleen View Post
Hello, Fredneck. ;-)
Oh, so you know. The tough thing is getting a gun rack in the back window.

Quote:
H&R springs are great so long as you don't need the extra ground clearance. It's one of the best mods I've done to any car I've owned.
Height isn't really an issue. I still have my Forester for that stuff and I'll be moving back to California later this year, so it's all good. I'll be taking your advice.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 08:52 PM   #6
zoul
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
If you want more power, you have 2 options. JB4, and Dinan. Dina has a warranty and gives a slight boost in power. JB4 has no warranty, is more intuitive and makes the car become an animal. I was able to break all 4 loose with JB4, not with my Dinan.
Thanks for that. I'm not necesarily looking to break loose all four, but getting rid of the turbo lag ould be great. I'll look at the Dinan.

Quote:
Wheel spacers just make the wheels more flush with the fender. My opinion, it's the cheap way out and they can be unsafe. Not saying they're all unsafe, but I've seen what they can do when the crack. Getting aftermarket wheels made with aggressive offsets will make the wheel flush with the fender, give you a wider contact patch (if done right) and is just the best way of doing it.
Thanks. That answers the question for me.

Quote:
H&R makes the best springs in the world, bar none. If I could do my kit again, I'd either go with H&R or KW V1 coilovers. My AC Schnitzer springs are rocks. I'm convinced there's actually no springs on my car, just something that looks like it.
Anothe vote for the H&R. Can you guess what I'm doing first?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 08:59 PM   #7
zoul
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredjim View Post
If you don't like all the chrome parts, maybe you should not have bought a car with the x-line trim? Too bad you are in Md. cause I would offer to swap my black parts for your chrome ones. I already upgraded to the 18" 322 wheels that come on the x-line because I think think they are the best looking X1 wheel. How do you like the run flats compared to your other BMW's that probably didn't have them? I ditched them for regular Michelin tires.
I would take you up on the trade. It sounds good to me.

Although it has the shiny parts, there were more positives than any other car that I was looking at.

First is the color - I wanted the Valencia Orange with light interior, and the sport seats and the Xenon lights. I couldn't pass it up. I knew I could change out the silver parts, so why not.

I can't give an opinion on the runflats yet with only a couple of hundred miles on them yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 05:14 AM   #8
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
You could always have the silver parts wrapped with 3M vinyl.
      03-11-2015, 10:38 AM   #9
zoul
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You could always have the silver parts wrapped with 3M vinyl.
I'm gonna try plastidip when the weather warms up. At the worst, it looks bad and I peel it off.
Appreciate 0