Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

04-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #1
Denny Swift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 992GTS; '20 Porsche Spyder

Q3?

This is interesting. I didn't think the Q3 was this close to production. This article says it will be available (in limited form) in June 2011. If Audi is smart (I'm betting they are) they will release it in the US in June purposely to steal potential X1 buyers who have been waiting and waiting..... The article also says that it will be available with a 6-speed manual. While I find it hard to believe that will be the case in the US, the initial release of the A5 and S5 were with manual transmissions ONLY, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. And that would be a VERY smart move since the magazines will rave about the 6-speed. If this car is really available in the US with a manual in June, I think BMW is going to lose a lot a business (probably including mine). BMW seriously underestimated the demand for the X1 and underproduced it. It looks like Audi is looking to take advantage of that.

http://www.autospies.com/news/STUD-o...-BMW-X1-63103/
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
nockenpaul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

AFAIK the delivery of the Q3 starts in October, sale starts in June. This are the dates for Germany, the US launch might be later. I think it looks not bad, but I would be a bit worried about the quality since it's gonna be made in a Seat factory.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by nockenpaul View Post
AFAIK the delivery of the Q3 starts in October, sale starts in June. This are the dates for Germany, the US launch might be later. I think it looks not bad, but I would be a bit worried about the quality since it's gonna be made in a Seat factory.
Confirmed by Audi France as well (the availability I mean...).
Slightly shorter than an X1, looks like a jacked-up 2011 A3. Look forward to it !
      04-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
jmtm
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: mini cooper

I hesitated a lot between X1 and Q3 before buying my X1. I looked for hours the spyshots of the Q3 and the cross coupe concept but at the end my decision was for the X1 because for me the Q3 is an elevated A3 (and i don't like the A3 ) with the back of a A1. This is just my opinion
      04-13-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtm View Post
I hesitated a lot between X1 and Q3 before buying my X1. I looked for hours the spyshots of the Q3 and the cross coupe concept but at the end my decision was for the X1 because for me the Q3 is an elevated A3 (and i don't like the A3 ) with the back of a A1. This is just my opinion
I agree, more of the same from Audi.....booooooring. At least the X1 looks different and in many ways unique, a design in its own right. Would be interesting to drive the Q3 though. I have driven a friends A3 on numerous occasions and think its pretty mediocre. I took the Q5 for a test drive as well before I decided on the X1 and oh my goodness......it was bloody awful. But then I have said that before.

I hope that Porsche work on it before they release it as the Cajun
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
slcmjames
China
Rep
Drives: mini cooper s/x1 28i L6

X1 has been available in China since last May or June? But gotta to wait up to 6 months after ordering though a xdrive 18i costs US$54k here which is actually competing q5. I guess it will be same in States but of course Americans are so lucky can get cars at good price. Am hesitate between new 2.0t version x1 and Evoque, they both should be out by 2nd half of this year, hopefully Land Rover wont market it too high. q3 will have long queue like it's bigger brother q5. But i would prefer the heavier sterring feel of BM...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 02:12 AM   #7
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcmjames View Post
X1 has been available in China since last May or June? But gotta to wait up to 6 months after ordering though a xdrive 18i costs US$54k here which is actually competing q5. I guess it will be same in States but of course Americans are so lucky can get cars at good price. Am hesitate between new 2.0t version x1 and Evoque, they both should be out by 2nd half of this year, hopefully Land Rover wont market it too high. q3 will have long queue like it's bigger brother q5. But i would prefer the heavier sterring feel of BM...
The Evoque prices are out here in the Uk and start from £28000 for the most basic 2x4 version. Putting it in perspective that's about 20% more than the equivalent X1 here. Prices rise quite quickly from there up to £45k for the LUX version.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 03:41 AM   #8
slcmjames
China
Rep
Drives: mini cooper s/x1 28i L6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
The Evoque prices are out here in the Uk and start from £28000 for the most basic 2x4 version. Putting it in perspective that's about 20% more than the equivalent X1 here. Prices rise quite quickly from there up to £45k for the LUX version.
Thanks Mario for the info...Sounds like Evoque will be out of picture, If it is 20% more than x1 meaning will cost at least US$90k in China, which will be too much for a car like that thougt it is so good looking, sigh.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 05:04 AM   #9
jmtm
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: mini cooper

Here is the first official video of the Q3
      04-14-2011, 05:17 AM   #10
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Not bad... But as I said, gotta see it for real.
      04-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #11
BitScribbler
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Comparison of X1 and Q3? Easy. One you can buy now, one you can't. If you always take the view that the next new car along the line might be the better one, you'll never actually buy a car!

Life is for living... just do it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 09:52 AM   #12
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
I get the feeling that the Q3 will appeal to a younger buyer than the X1 will.

Front : Audi, the lights on the BMW really spoil it for me.
Side Profile : Probably the BMW because I feel the Q3 would have looked with a less slopey rear roof line.
Rear : Audi but this is again down to the BMW rear lights that spoil it's looks for me.
Interior : Audi hands down, the quality looks to be top drawer and has real flair which is something one can't say about the X1.

Each will find favour with those that are most loyal to their respective brands but I don't think either are that great at doing true SUV duties.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Well, as always for style, it' in the eye of the beholder.

I test drove a Q3 today and frankly it does very well compared to the X1. A little higher off the ground, Q5-like, but definitely a great car and a serious contender !
      04-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #14
Costin
Rep
Drives: x1

You have already driven the Q3?

Wow! ??????? Where?????
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #15
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Engine- BMW hands down

Audi 211 hp and BMW 245 out of the same size, I beleive the X1 would spank it pretty bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 02:28 AM   #16
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costin View Post
You have already driven the Q3?

Wow! ??????? Where?????
No, just kidding.
Checking who was paying attention
      04-15-2011, 02:44 AM   #17
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I get the feeling that the Q3 will appeal to a younger buyer than the X1 will.

Front : Audi, the lights on the BMW really spoil it for me.
Side Profile : Probably the BMW because I feel the Q3 would have looked with a less slopey rear roof line.
Rear : Audi but this is again down to the BMW rear lights that spoil it's looks for me.
Interior : Audi hands down, the quality looks to be top drawer and has real flair which is something one can't say about the X1.

Each will find favour with those that are most loyal to their respective brands but I don't think either are that great at doing true SUV duties.
Different tastes I suppose,

Front : About the same for me although I like the droopy moustache look of the X1.
Side : BMW hands down, the Q3 is way too busy, many odd lines.
Rear : BMW again by far, it's unique. Audi looks like too many of the others, particularly the A1.
Interior : Until I actually sit in a Q3 the design is hard to tell. Quality should be good though. The ergonomics of the X1 is very good.
Engine : BMW hands down, unless Audi have a surprise in store, but I doubt it.
Handling : BMW is very good. Audi are going to have to work wonders on that A3 chassis as it's pretty poor at the moment.

Just for interest, many driving tests here comment on the quality of the interiors when discussing Audis. with BMW they comment on the drive, handling and performance......well I fall in the latter camp.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 05:16 AM   #18
Costin
Rep
Drives: x1

Q3 will be build by Seat...will see about the interiors...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 08:39 AM   #19
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
No, just kidding.
Checking who was paying attention
Now we won't believe anything you say.
      04-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #20
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Yeah.... That's what the judge said too...