Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

04-13-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

Audi Q3 vs BMW X1

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/256488/

The new X1 competitor has been revealed. What do you guys think?

Personally I'm not a fan because it looks so boring and bland. It's a shrunken down version of the Q5 which is a shrunken down version of the Q7. It seems Audi is making all their cars look the same.

Not to mention you are buying a VW Tiguan with an Audi badge.

The interesting bit of information is that the kerb weight will start around 1500kgs for base FWD models. An AWD version would be around 1700kgs?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Very difficult to express an opinion without actually seeing the Q3 'in the flesh'.. Will be available here in June.
      04-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Looks like you are duplicating an existing thread :

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515817

04-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Looks like you are duplicating an existing thread :

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515817

Yep, but this is going to be an interesting debate.

See my comments on the other thread.

But just to add. I have also driven the VW Tiguan and its not bad, just too small for me. Q5 = rubbish, A3 = mediocre, A4=boooooring.

So whats it going to be Audi?

And then there is the new Range Rover (that was going to be a Land Rover but then they decided they could add 25% to the price if the called it a Range Rover) Evoque. First accounts are quite good but its pricey and going by past experience build quality will be dubious.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Sport

From the side the Q3 looks too sloped away at the rear, sort of like trying to fit the shape of an X6 compressed into a shorter,squatter wheelbase. Looks a bit funky maybe, but not to my personal choice. My ideal (looks only) would be a cross between the X6 sloping back, the x1 size and the 1M with its more muscular wheel arch flaring. I think the X1 looks a bit bland down the side, a bit slab-sided. It's so hard to know what you'd really want your car to look like in reality. I don't know how car designers do it.
In trying to decide what car I wanted this time around I found it so hard. I haven't bought a new car for 10 years, but you just presume someone must make YOUR ideal car. Once you start looking around you start to compromise on what you really want. I couldn't find any other car other than the X1 that I liked the look of. There are so many bland cars out there that you think the designers aren't trying to please their target group, but they're just trying not to offend anyone.
Maybe if BMW make a more aggressive looking X1M someday with a little bit of panel change to beef out the wheelarches I'll be able to get MY ideal car. With a spare tyre too to give me an easier choice on tyre selection.
Funny what you prioritise for your list of must haves on a car.
When it all comes together I guess they call that car a "classic"
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 02:23 AM   #6
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusX1 View Post
From the side the Q3 looks too sloped away at the rear, sort of like trying to fit the shape of an X6 compressed into a shorter,squatter wheelbase. Looks a bit funky maybe, but not to my personal choice. My ideal (looks only) would be a cross between the X6 sloping back, the x1 size and the 1M with its more muscular wheel arch flaring. I think the X1 looks a bit bland down the side, a bit slab-sided. It's so hard to know what you'd really want your car to look like in reality. I don't know how car designers do it.
Wait for the X4 if BMW decide to build it.

Quote:

Maybe if BMW make a more aggressive looking X1M someday with a little bit of panel change to beef out the wheelarches I'll be able to get MY ideal car. With a spare tyre too to give me an easier choice on tyre selection.
Funny what you prioritise for your list of must haves on a car.
When it all comes together I guess they call that car a "classic"
There is the MSport X1 which may be more to you liking. My choice would also be a proper X1M in 3.0d........please BMW, with quad tail pipes pretty please......

PS: I keep on hearing rumours of a real X1M but judging by how popular the X1 is I think it's safe to assume one is on the cards.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 07:15 AM   #7
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
There is the MSport X1 which may be more to you liking. \
Yes, mine's on order, should arrive in couple/few months time.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

I would take a X1M too with 1M engine.
Appreciate 0