06-04-2021, 01:21 AM   #1
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 MSport

2.0D Wobble after start-up

Bear with me on this one

In recent weeks, I noticed that my 2014 X1 (2.0D N47T 67k miles) starts fine, after a few seconds, when the initial start up is complete and the idle settles..the engine gives a 'wobble' for about 1-2 seconds and then idles fine afterwards. No codes stored and no other symptoms.

I have never noticed this before, but it is not running rough I would suggest either, again no codes stored or present.

I did a bit of searching around and people suggested a glow plug issues, however this happened at 19 Deg C outside.

The wobble is not exclusive to the morning start, it can happen when we are out and about and the car is left standing for a period of time.

In order to clean the system, I have used Chevron Techron D cleaner, to assist with any injector issues (if that is the cause)

Has anyone experienced anything similar or suggest what might be wrong?

TIA
      06-07-2021, 04:14 PM   #2
chance91
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 335d

It may or may not be related. I wish I had more insight for you on the N47, but I have only done this on an M57 and N57 diesel.

My guess is that you are probably starting to see some signs of carbon build up. you can check with a scope, or pop off the throttle inlet and look at the EGR inlet and air metering plate as described in the video.

If you see a decent amount of carbon, consider preparing for intake/egr and valve carbon cleaning. It makes quite a big difference. We did ours around 80k miles.
2005 MX-5 LS swap
Appreciate 1
Walesy79.00
      06-18-2021, 03:53 AM   #3
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance91 View Post
It may or may not be related. I wish I had more insight for you on the N47, but I have only done this on an M57 and N57 diesel.

My guess is that you are probably starting to see some signs of carbon build up. you can check with a scope, or pop off the throttle inlet and look at the EGR inlet and air metering plate as described in the video.

If you see a decent amount of carbon, consider preparing for intake/egr and valve carbon cleaning. It makes quite a big difference. We did ours around 80k miles.
I need to have a look at the egr perhaps and assess the situation.
I ran Chevron techron D cleaner (i believe BMW rebottled this as their official cleaner/treatment) through it, it seems to have smoothed out...but I will spend some time on it as per the video and see.

Maybe worth a proper engine clean.
      06-19-2021, 05:07 PM   #4
chance91
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walesy View Post
I need to have a look at the egr perhaps and assess the situation.
I ran Chevron techron D cleaner (i believe BMW rebottled this as their official cleaner/treatment) through it, it seems to have smoothed out...but I will spend some time on it as per the video and see.

Maybe worth a proper engine clean.
While it may help, it'll have basically no effect on the intake valves, and little on the egr due to these being direct injection.

They also have what is essentially a throttle body, called an air metering flap, which gets gummed up.

You basically need to decide if you want to clean this every 50-75k, or delete and choose parts out.

If you decide to clean it, please do a video. There is far too little e84 content out there.

Last edited by chance91; 06-19-2021 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
Walesy79.00