Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

03-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
trek8000
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 35i Alpine White

My X1 35i in Chicago Snow

Here in Chicago we got about 8" of snow yesterday. I felt very secure driving my X1 during the snow storm. This all wheel drive has really great traction and I had no problem with slipping or taking off from a stop. The other great thing is that the heating system does a great job defrosting the glass quickly and keeping the interior and glass free of humidity. I also had no problem getting in and out of my snow packed driveway with 8" of snow. I have gotten so very spoiled with the heated steering wheel and heated seats. They are a real treat to have and I use them daily! Just thought I would share my first real winter experience with my X1.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
Kool-Kat
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek8000
Here in Chicago we got about 8" of snow yesterday. I felt very secure driving my X1 during the snow storm. This all wheel drive has really great traction and I had no problem with slipping or taking off from a stop. The other great thing is that the heating system does a great job defrosting the glass quickly and keeping the interior and glass free of humidity. I also had no problem getting in and out of my snow packed driveway with 8" of snow. I have gotten so very spoiled with the heated steering wheel and heated seats. They are a real treat to have and I use them daily! Just thought I would share my first real winter experience with my X1.
Hey right there with you, same experience with nemo! Surprisingly very Awesome in the snow and great climate features.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
bmw5406spd
Passionate About Cars
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw X1 35i X-Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool-Kat View Post
Hey right there with you, same experience with nemo! Surprisingly very Awesome in the snow and great climate features.
Cool wish i was back up north, would be fun in the snow...this is the first awd Bimmer ive had, like it so far, guy at bmw said they are not true awd that they move power around the wheels as needed?
      03-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
ddark13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 35i

do you have snow tires on the car or the stock pierreli all seasons? ive read the reviews for the all seasons on tire rack and people seem to say theyre very good in snow for all seasons. a few reviews of the x1 in snow also say its great. im hoping to use it as a ski car so this is good news. thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw5406spd View Post
Cool wish i was back up north, would be fun in the snow...this is the first awd Bimmer ive had, like it so far, guy at bmw said they are not true awd that they move power around the wheels as needed?
Yes, they do. That's what AWD means. 4WD is fixed, while AWD has a differential allowing transfer of power depending on the conditions.

Also, the M-Sport line has a more aggressive EPS tuning and defaults more to rear wheels, which makes it corner, well, not entirely like an M class RWD car, but more so than what you'd expect from a relatively low-priced consumer model. It can be both uncomfortable and scary if you're used to American 4WD trucks. But oh so fun...

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_xDrive for more details on BMW's AWD implementation.

Last edited by Grovsnus; 03-07-2013 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
loukas135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive28i M Sport

From what I know, the xDrive on the X1 is 60/40 (rear/front) by default.

When needed 100 % can be transferred to the front or rear as it is an intelligent system.

That keeps the BMW sport nature intact. Of course, it's different than AUDI's quattro. But it's a lot of fun in the snow being able to toss the rear around even with the DSC active.

Be carefull if you turn the DSC OFF because then you will see what's 60 % on the rear axle is all about Fun but tricky sometime.

I'm running on 17" Dunlop SP Winter sport M3. They are great.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by loukas135 View Post
From what I know, the xDrive on the X1 is 60/40 (rear/front) by default.
Correct, unless you have the Performance Control option, which for the X1 is only the M-Sport - in which case it's 80/20.

Both can pass 100% to either the front or rear as needed.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I'm still unconvinced of the M Sport power distribution.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/x1/2013/road-test.html

"Opt for the M Sport package and you also get what BMW calls Performance Control. This delivers a 20-to-80 front-to-rear torque split in standard conditions in an attempt to replicate the feel of rear-wheel drive. It helps a bit, but again, the xDrive35i is a little on the overpowered side so it never feels quite like a true rear-driver. "

http://www.imakenews.com/devonhillbm...e002496272.cfm

"The X1 of course offers xDrive, the brand’s performance-focused, all-season, intelligent all-wheel drive system. The xDrive handling advantage really comes to the fore when paired with the M Sport Line version of the X1. In this trim, Performance Control programming keeps 80 percent of torque at the rear wheels during cornering, with slight brake pressure on the inside rear wheel vectoring torque to the outside rear wheel, which has greater traction."

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...1_first_drive/

"Couple xDrive with the M Sport package, and it gets a special performance programming algorithm that sends 80 percent of the torque to the rear during cornering, with a bit of braking to the inside wheel shunting torque outward to help rotate the car and ward off the understeer we felt in the rear-driver."

http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/05/03/20...-in-fall-2012/

"As a means of sharpening the handling character, the X1 xDrive28i and xDrive35i get Performance Control as part of the available M Sport Package. Performance Control helps the X1 xDrive35i maintain a more neutral handling character by adjusting the xDrive torque split to 20% front/80% rear in steady state cornering."

I think it's quite legit. The Performance Control shows up as option 215A for xDrive M-Sport models.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #10
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Why?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 06:11 AM   #11
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
Why?
He didn't buy an M-Sport.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #12
bmw5406spd
Passionate About Cars
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw X1 35i X-Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
Correct, unless you have the Performance Control option, which for the X1 is only the M-Sport - in which case it's 80/20.

Both can pass 100% to either the front or rear as needed.
Only 20-80 during cornering, not full time
      03-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by loukas135 View Post
Be carefull if you turn the DSC OFF because then you will see what's 60 % on the rear axle is all about Fun but tricky sometime.
Interesting. I don't find the X1 to be much fun at all. It's fantastic in the snow ... much better than I expected. But it doesn't do the tail out thing very well. Curiously, my Subaru, which was also great in the snow, was much more tossable. Just the opposite of what I expected.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #14
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw5406spd View Post
Only 20-80 during cornering, not full time
Straight line it doesn't matter much -- as long as it's at least 50:50 you won't get any noticeable lift effect on this type of car.
For corners, though, it changes the equation, making it more aggressive (for better and for worse).
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #15
loukas135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottRodW View Post
Interesting. I don't find the X1 to be much fun at all. It's fantastic in the snow ... much better than I expected. But it doesn't do the tail out thing very well. Curiously, my Subaru, which was also great in the snow, was much more tossable. Just the opposite of what I expected.
My X1 is the first car I own with power to the rear so I can't compare it to other brand but I can assure you I can toss it around and let the tail go left to right with some push on the throttle ...

I can really feel the rear end work and play with the steering wheel to adjust the line ... with the bonus of additionnal traction from the xDrive

I'm persisting: I'ts a "lot" of fun
Appreciate 0