XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

02-28-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
simon025
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive 20d

Do you manually switching off the engine when waiting in the traffic light?

I wonder how many of you manually switching off the engine when waiting in the traffic light?
My X1 has auto transmission so it doesn’t have the automatic engine stop/start feature. Most of my trips are in Sydney city and the traffic is slow. I switch off the engine on a traffic light if I know I have to wait for a while; I found that does keep the fuel consummation low. I wondering anyone of you are doing the same thing?

Thanks
Simon
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

regardless of transmission, if I'm waiting say longer than 2 minutes then I would switch off.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Ditto.

Traffic lights in normal traffic flow sounds a bit pushing the concept though, but since a S&S manual would switch off, I suppose it does make sense from an emission standpoint.

Now to save a few cents worth of gas ? I dunno... Driving a Beamer and cutting your engine at every traffic light to save a dollar by the end of the month sounds a bit tacky...
      02-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
jmtm
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: mini cooper

Hi Simon
If you've not the stop and start system, is it not a problem for the car to manually switch off the engine ?
      02-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtm View Post
Hi Simon
If you've not the stop and start system, is it not a problem for the car to manually switch off the engine ?
That is the question Simon is asking.
      02-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
jmtm
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
That is the question Simon is asking.
The question of Simon was how many person switch off the engine manually no?
      02-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
nathan35
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtm View Post
The question of Simon was how many person switch off the engine manually no?
But the question's worth asking anyway: is the automatic start/stop doing exaclty the same to the engine as maunually switching the engine off, or is it somehow more harmful to do it yourself.

For those who do manually switch the engine off, please note however that:
- you lose power steering and especially power braking when the engine is off (important e.g. when you're staying in a traffic jam on a slope);
- the stopped engine may cool, or the battery may be used by the onboard electrical equipments beyond a point where the fuel economy is worthwile.

The automatic system controls all these things and re-starts the engine when necessary.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
jmtm
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan35 View Post
But the question's worth asking anyway: is the automatic start/stop doing exaclty the same to the engine as maunually switching the engine off, or is it somehow more harmful to do it yourself.

- you lose power steering and especially power braking when the engine is off (important e.g. when you're staying in a traffic jam on a slope);
- the stopped engine may cool, or the battery may be used by the onboard electrical equipments beyond a point where the fuel economy is worthwile.

The automatic system controls all these things and re-starts the engine when necessary.
thank you that's the answer to my question.
      02-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan35 View Post

Exactly.
The S&S will stop the engine regarless of the stopping time, maintaining several features such as air con or heat.
It can't be bad to switch off an automatic (or a manual without S&S for that matter) when you know for sure you'll be standing for several minutes, but it doesn't make sense at every traffic light for a few seconds.
It also means you need to revert to N or P to crank the engine again, which defeats somewhat the purpose of an "automatic" transmission !
      02-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #10
alexmcred
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 318d GT M Sport

The other thing is unless the engine is suitably heated your actually using more fuel as the engine is not at it's peak operating temp.

One of the conditions for s&s is engine temp
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 03:05 AM   #11
nathan35
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18d

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmcred View Post
The other thing is unless the engine is suitably heated your actually using more fuel as the engine is not at it's peak operating temp.

One of the conditions for s&s is engine temp
Exactly. The S&S system stops the engine only when the conditions are such that it makes sense to do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #12
Kres7787
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sD 18d JB

You need to wait about 2 secs after you press the ... clutch pedal? ... for the car to kick back in. After the S&S system shuts the engine down. I found it a bit weird since I can't _immidiately_ continue the driving, but it's still an overall pleasing feature x) just need to get used for the slight delay.

It took the car abouts 5 minutes of driving to start using S&S as the needed temp was reached. It was abouts 10C outside.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #13
alexmcred
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 318d GT M Sport

By the time you have the gear selected the engine should be ready to move off. Takes a bit of getting used to but I am used to it now and find no delay between engine re- starting and moving off
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 02:55 AM   #14
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kres7787 View Post
You need to wait about 2 secs after you press the ... clutch pedal? ... for the car to kick back in. After the S&S system shuts the engine down. I found it a bit weird since I can't _immidiately_ continue the driving, but it's still an overall pleasing feature x) just need to get used for the slight delay.

It took the car abouts 5 minutes of driving to start using S&S as the needed temp was reached. It was abouts 10C outside.
2 seconds seem excessive...
Basically you depress the clutch wich cranks the engine while simultaneously engaging first gear.
It takes slightly longer than I could do it on a non S&S if I had to move in a hurry, but most times it's not significantly slower either, and I'm still the first one to move when the light turns green.
      03-09-2011, 03:27 AM   #15
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon025 View Post
I wonder how many of you manually switching off the engine when waiting in the traffic light?
My X1 has auto transmission so it doesn’t have the automatic engine stop/start feature. Most of my trips are in Sydney city and the traffic is slow. I switch off the engine on a traffic light if I know I have to wait for a while; I found that does keep the fuel consummation low. I wondering anyone of you are doing the same thing?

Thanks
Simon
Nope, never do it for some of the reasons mentioned above. In addition I am not convinced its a good thing on the auto either as its not been designed for it. Not too sure on the detail but if the S/S system is the same type of thing as I have on my Mini there are a whole bunch of things added because of the S/S system, ie

Stronger battery
Stonger starter motor
Regenerative braking (charges battery)

Also the Mini's system is quite fast. On my auto X1 I would have to push the start button, then put it in D. Too slow for a fast get away.

I always switch it off on the Mini anyway as I don't like it but I can say in all honesty that I cannot notice any measurable difference in consumption.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 04:42 AM   #16
Kres7787
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
2 seconds seem excessive...
Basically you depress the clutch wich cranks the engine while simultaneously engaging first gear.
It takes slightly longer than I could do it on a non S&S if I had to move in a hurry, but most times it's not significantly slower either, and I'm still the first one to move when the light turns green.
Yeah though as the engine restarts you almost need to aim to grab the gearshift without missing it due to all the heavy vibrations on it. But yeah no big deal really. Just something to get used to. As I said, I like the idea of S&S. So no problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 04:46 AM   #17
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX M60

In my drivers manual I can read that if the stop is longer than 30 sec. it is worth shutting down the engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 04:57 AM   #18
Kres7787
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Now to save a few cents worth of gas ? I dunno... Driving a Beamer and cutting your engine at every traffic light to save a dollar by the end of the month sounds a bit tacky...
Maybe he just doesn't like to have to refill often. Takes some time to do it that I would understand. Ecology? Nah since it's xDrive. x) but yeah saving on gass on a xDrive 20d Bimmer... Hard to chew. Surely unreasonable worrying. Or is it?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 07:00 AM   #19
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kres7787 View Post
Maybe he just doesn't like to have to refill often. Takes some time to do it that I would understand. Ecology? Nah since it's xDrive. x) but yeah saving on gass on a xDrive 20d Bimmer... Hard to chew. Surely unreasonable worrying. Or is it?
My X1 is in the same CO2 tax band as my Mini and has better fuel consumption. Thats green enough for me

PS: And probably one of the most efficient production 4x4's on the planet!!
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 07:26 AM   #20
Kres7787
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
My X1 is in the same CO2 tax band as my Mini and has better fuel consumption. Thats green enough for me

PS: And probably one of the most efficient production 4x4's on the planet!!
Yes for sure. I haven't really researched other cars in similar categories thouroughly but from what I found out and heard, yeah BMW engines are top class. Fast and efficent! xDrive systems as well. Gonna make my new order this or the next week when we're on that topic!

Yeah but still there is no explanation for turning the engine off on each traffic stop... If it was a cheap car...

Last edited by Kres7787; 03-09-2011 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 07:30 AM   #21
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

I'm not a big fan of this because I feel this adds strain to the car, both mechanically and electrically. Like in all machines and electronics, start-stop/power cycles are the most damaging.

Last edited by Douggie; 03-09-2011 at 07:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 08:14 AM   #22
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggie View Post
I'm not a big fan of this because I feel this adds strain to the car, both mechanically and electrically. Like in all machines and electronics, start-stop/power cycles are the most damaging.
It does. But lower emissions is the name of the game now.