Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

07-23-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
Remlaw Silo
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d

Snow Chains (in Australia)

Hi, I have an X1 xDrive20d and I am looking at buying some snow chains for driving in the Australian ski fields. Does anyone have a recommendation as to what brand/type I should buy (or avoid)?

Currently I have the Y-spoke 322 alloy wheels (225/45R18 front & 255/40R18 rear) which BMW state that "snow chains cannot be fitted". When I bought the car it was agreed that the dealer would swap these wheels for the Star spoke 320 alloys (225/45R18), which are snow chain compatible, as soon as they can get a set in on another car. I have now done approx 3000km on my "borrowed tyres"!

Has anyone out there tried to use snow chains on the Y-spoke 322 wheels? If so how did it go?

Which wheels (front or back) should the chains go on? I assume that if the car was an sDrive they would go on the back (being a rear wheel two wheel drive system) and on the front of an xDrive car (i.e. on the steering wheels of a four wheel drive car).

Alternatively there might be an argument for putting chains on the rear wheels of an xDrive car to reduce the risk of damaging the wheel arches/mud guards when the front wheels are turned to drive around corners.

Any comments (or horror snow driving stories that you would like to share)?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 02:23 AM   #2
frayedsheet
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jeep GC Overland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remlaw Silo View Post
Hi, I have an X1 xDrive20d and I am looking at buying some snow chains for driving in the Australian ski fields. Does anyone have a recommendation as to what brand/type I should buy (or avoid)?

Currently I have the Y-spoke 322 alloy wheels (225/45R18 front & 255/40R18 rear) which BMW state that "snow chains cannot be fitted". When I bought the car it was agreed that the dealer would swap these wheels for the Star spoke 320 alloys (225/45R18), which are snow chain compatible, as soon as they can get a set in on another car. I have now done approx 3000km on my "borrowed tyres"!

Has anyone out there tried to use snow chains on the Y-spoke 322 wheels? If so how did it go?

Which wheels (front or back) should the chains go on? I assume that if the car was an sDrive they would go on the back (being a rear wheel two wheel drive system) and on the front of an xDrive car (i.e. on the steering wheels of a four wheel drive car).

Alternatively there might be an argument for putting chains on the rear wheels of an xDrive car to reduce the risk of damaging the wheel arches/mud guards when the front wheels are turned to drive around corners.

Any comments (or horror snow driving stories that you would like to share)?
No need for chains if you are only going to the NSW resorts. The nanny state (VIC) does make you carry them for Falls, Hotham, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 04:20 AM   #3
Remlaw Silo
Australia
Rep

Yes I am aware of the current exemption for 4WD vehicles to carry snow chains in NSW however as the Roads and Traffic Authority (RTA) state on their web page:

"4WD vehicles are regularly over represented in crashes that have occurred in the Park in snow or ice conditions: for example during the 2007 snow season, they were involved in 10 of the 20 crashes that occurred on the seven designated 'snow chain days' ".

I also recall reading an article about a BMW X5 driver who spent the night in a gully after slipping off the road on the way back from Perisher. In hindsight I think that he may have preferred to have put some chains on.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quick reply.

Snow chains always on the rear in the X1 as it's rear wheel biased. BMW also state that they should only be fitted at the rear.

Snow chains are really necessary in extreme cold, ice and steep gradients. Summer tyres, even with 4x4, are on occasion just not good enough.

For the record, winter tyres make as big a difference again as what 4x4 does.

Thule and Weissenfels make really good ones. They also make Click and Go types for low profile alloys.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 04:12 AM   #5
yohans
Private
Rep

I have the 322 Y Spoke wheels on a x20d.

I have a set of chains that I've not yet had to use as the car has so far been adequately capable of handling all the snow and icy surfaces I've so far encountered. The chains are for the rear wheels.

I'm in Melbourne and visit the Victorian snow fields.

I purchased my chains from Bumps a ski gear company that my BMW dealer referred me to.

Give them a call.

http://www.bumps.com.au/
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 05:24 AM   #6
Remlaw Silo
Australia
Rep

Hi Yohans,

I hope that you don't mind me asking but have you actually tried to put the snow chains on your Y-spoke 322 wheels yet? According to a BMW X1 brochure that I was given snow chains cannot be fitted to these wheels (255/40R18). I assume (correctly or incorrectly!) that BMW are referring to the snow chain designs that use a ring on the inside wall of the tyre as well as on the outside wall. Presumably this is because the rear wheels are 30mm wider (i.e. 255-225) than the standard 225/45R18 wheels. I expect that there is simply not enough clearance between the inside wall of the tyre and the rest of the car. So to rephrase my question did the snow chain seller simply look up your tyre size to find chains that would fit the tyre or did they also take into account the available clearance behind the wheel, which would probably only become apparent if the chains were actually fitted.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 07:21 AM   #7
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remlaw Silo View Post
Hi Yohans,

I hope that you don't mind me asking but have you actually tried to put the snow chains on your Y-spoke 322 wheels yet? According to a BMW X1 brochure that I was given snow chains cannot be fitted to these wheels (255/40R18). I assume (correctly or incorrectly!) that BMW are referring to the snow chain designs that use a ring on the inside wall of the tyre as well as on the outside wall. Presumably this is because the rear wheels are 30mm wider (i.e. 255-225) than the standard 225/45R18 wheels. I expect that there is simply not enough clearance between the inside wall of the tyre and the rest of the car. So to rephrase my question did the snow chain seller simply look up your tyre size to find chains that would fit the tyre or did they also take into account the available clearance behind the wheel, which would probably only become apparent if the chains were actually fitted.
An alternative is to use snow cables which are thinner/flatter and designed for low profile tyres. SCC stock a good range and can be found here:

SCC Snow Cables

I used a set on a 330i through the Sierra Nevada's a few winters ago and they were fantastic.

Again, have a look at the Thule KSummit ones. They fit from the outside and have nothing on the inside of the rim. Examples to be found here:

Thule KSummit
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 12:22 AM   #8
yohans
Private
Rep

I also have the BMW brochure which is why I asked the BMW dealer who referred me to the snow chain supplier who described to me the way they determined the fit (the main consideration is clearance around and behind the wheels).

As I said give them a call.

Here are the chains I have "Konig T2 Magic 104". Check it on the Konig web site as well if you like. They have an online fit guide.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
Lost in France
France
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive 2.0d

I remember seeing something called snow sox (or socks) a couple of years ago, seemed really easy to fit (seconds) and promised good grip in the snow, I can't remember if was in the UK or in France though (age is getting to me).

Never tried them myself but perhaps an alternative? No idea how they would be with the x-drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #10
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in France View Post
I remember seeing something called snow sox (or socks) a couple of years ago, seemed really easy to fit (seconds) and promised good grip in the snow, I can't remember if was in the UK or in France though (age is getting to me).

Never tried them myself but perhaps an alternative? No idea how they would be with the x-drive.
Snow sox do work, a few of my colleagues bought them during our last winter (bad winter). However they are for occasional use and do not last very long. At least one guy wrecked his within 50 miles. I would consider them as a good idea for emergency use only. In addition they are not accepted as an alternative to chains in many European countries and you will be fined in areas where there is a legal obligation to carry chains in winter.

In a nutshell I would recommend:

1. Winter tyres where you know there is going to be prolonged cold (sub 7C) for a few months and with a high probability of ice/snow from time to time.
2. Snow chains in deep snow or very hard ice, particularly with steep gradients. Bear in mind that pretty much everywhere you need to take them off on a dry road.
3. Studded tyres with 100% snow/ice cover everywhere for a few months at a time. These are illegal in many countries.

Intermediates or all season tyres are a option when things are not quite as harsh as mentioned above. They are a good alternative although both winter and summer performance are compromised slightly. Good thing is that you will not need to change them over twice a year and, with chains, will go a long way.

In addition to the above I would recommend you also carry:
1. 2xHigh visibility vests. This is a legal requirement in some European countries.
2. A collapsible snow shovel.
3. A tow rope/strap. This is a legal requirement in some European countries.
4. A couple of flare markers/red strobe lights
5. Blanket
6. Water and snacks (warm drink in a thermos where possible)
7. Full fuel tank where possible
8. Fully charged mobile phone

I also carry a set of chocks (to stop car sliding when parked on ice), a snow brush, a couple of hessian/burlap bags (place under wheels of stuck car) as well as portable (disposable) wee bags (yes really ) with me.

I know the above seems a bit OTT but I have some experience driving in wintery conditions in Europe, Canada and the USA. If anyone has any questions fire away and I will do my best to answer them.
Appreciate 0