Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

07-21-2011, 07:07 AM   #1
dimitris33
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Black wheels and sides protection

I am thinking painting the wheels in black or dark grey (anthrax). Before doing so can you give some ideas if there is a black washable spray (or any other idea) to paint them and see how it will look?

I can do that in photoshop but would like to see it in real.

Also, sometimes visiting my countryside hometown I need to pass through narrow dirty roads which are covered by tall wild hard herbs am afraid that passing through will surely scarify car's sides.

Is there any protective film available to cover car's sides in order to protect it?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitris33 View Post
I am thinking painting the wheels in black or dark grey (anthrax). Before doing so can you give some ideas if there is a black washable spray (or any other idea) to paint them and see how it will look?

I can do that in photoshop but would like to see it in real.

Also, sometimes visiting my countryside hometown I need to pass through narrow dirty roads which are covered by tall wild hard herbs am afraid that passing through will surely scarify car's sides.

Is there any protective film available to cover car's sides in order to protect it?
Hi, dimitris. Not used it myself yet but 3M make a film protector for cars. I am seriously considering it myself this winter to protect against stone chips on the front of the car. Last winter the councils dropped tons of grit on the roads which is brutal on the paintwork.

PS: sorry, tried to provide the link but on holiday with the iPad and the bloody thing does not want to. Just do a search for Scotchgaurd film 3M.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela

Last edited by mario486; 07-21-2011 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Have the 3M on the hood, mirrors and top of rear bumper. Works great. Installer said has done the wheel arches on Porsches, so no problem for the sides. But it goes best on flat surfaces and the sides aren't. So maybe just along the sides at the bottom will suffice?
      07-22-2011, 01:13 AM   #4
dimitris33
Private
Rep

This 3M film looks like a good solution but I've read somewhere that when the time comes to remove (for sale for instance) the film after some years, it is not that easy as they told...

The film melts after some period especially on the hot countries (like Greece for instance) and it is like try to remove a very big old sticker from the whole car! So chemicals needed or full brush shinning with a machine...

Are you aware of this?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 04:49 AM   #5
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
This 3M film looks like a good solution but I've read somewhere that when the time comes to remove (for sale for instance) the film after some years, it is not that easy as they told...

The film melts after some period especially on the hot countries (like Greece for instance) and it is like try to remove a very big old sticker from the whole car! So chemicals needed or full brush shinning with a machine...

Are you aware of this?
Nope but I can guess that any sticker would go tacky after a while. I would just keep it on for a season.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 06:32 AM   #6
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Are you aware of this?
There would some adhesive left, but I would come off with the right chemical. Just leave it on for resale.....
      07-22-2011, 06:42 AM   #7
dimitris33
Private
Rep

Going to ask today the local shop about cost etc.. Thanks guys.

Any idea on the wheels impermanent paint???
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
rob_378
HongKongX1
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i SPORT

I havent tried this, but it might be worth a try...

http://artprimo.com/catalog/molotow-...nt-p-1122.html
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 01:57 AM   #9
dimitris33
Private
Rep

Cool, thanks Rob

Asked the local dealer for the 3M film. He asked 700 euros for the sides of the car only and 1,800 euros for the whole car wrapping.

He must be crazy....
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 07:06 AM   #10
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Cool, thanks Rob

Asked the local dealer for the 3M film. He asked 700 euros for the sides of the car only and 1,800 euros for the whole car wrapping.

He must be crazy....
That 3M film is pricey and quite a lot of labour involved. Bodywork needs to be very clean before it goes on so I would say that 700euro is on the expensive side but probably about what it would cost. For a professional job that is.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #11
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
That 3M film is pricey and quite a lot of labour involved. Bodywork needs to be very clean before it goes on so I would say that 700euro is on the expensive side but probably about what it would cost. For a professional job that is.
I paid $200Cdn. for the hood, mirrors and top of rear bumper. So 700 is expensive.
      07-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #12
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
I paid $200Cdn. for the hood, mirrors and top of rear bumper. So 700 is expensive.
Thats a good price. The 3M film is expensive here in the UK. A 1000mmx600mm strip is around £60 (CAD$90) and then you still need the surface preparation spray.

I reacon you would need about 4m to do a whole car if you re-use some of the bits you cut out, so material costs alone would be around £300 (CAD$460). Add our insane labour costs and it all adds up.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #13
dimitris33
Private
Rep

Damn... Seems that I must leave it naked as it is and scarifice it...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 06:07 PM   #14
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Damn... Seems that I must leave it naked as it is and scarifice it...
Nope, a couple of layers of good hard carnauba wax will go a long way in protecting the paint job.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 02:11 AM   #15
dimitris33
Private
Rep

Never heard that before.. thanks Mario
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 03:07 AM   #16
dimitris33
Private
Rep

That the One? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HARLY-WAX-...item563aebeffe
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 05:44 AM   #17
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Yep dimitris, thats one of them. Harly Wax is pretty good and excellent value. There are others but they cost a lot more. Just read up a bit on how to apply it properly.

Also please note that it will not protect against heavy scratches and stone chips like the 3M film would. But as I said it will provide some protection against lighter scratches, tree sap, pollution, bird sh!t etc. Oh, and as a side effect, your car will be nice and shiny
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 02:38 AM   #18
dimitris33
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Yep dimitris, thats one of them. Harly Wax is pretty good and excellent value. There are others but they cost a lot more. Just read up a bit on how to apply it properly.

Also please note that it will not protect against heavy scratches and stone chips like the 3M film would. But as I said it will provide some protection against lighter scratches, tree sap, pollution, bird sh!t etc. Oh, and as a side effect, your car will be nice and shiny
Thanks Mario. I placed my order for wax though I have a very big bird shit sign on my bonnet of 15cm already!! WTF that was a dinosaur!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 03:18 AM   #19
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Mario. I placed my order for wax though I have a very big bird shit sign on my bonnet of 15cm already!! WTF that was a dinosaur!
Maybe a pterodactyl

Get it off quickly though as bird lime can damage paint over time.

Worst I have seen though is bat sh!t. A friends car had a blob on the bonnet that actually ate though the paint and required a respray We all thought that somebody had poured acid on the car but the car respray bloke recognised it as bat doo doo.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #20
dimitris33
Private
Rep

Its too late now. This shit left my car a huge bad sign and I made it worst. I tried to cleaned and polished with a car polish creme but....

damn, I will put a big sticker on it!

Otherwise I feel that the whole bonnet now need repolishing.
Appreciate 0