XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

07-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #23
Molinari
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1xDrive18D Alpine White M-Ed.

Having driven half a million kilometers in three Subaru's, the xDrive was the reason to go for the X1 now that I got to select a company car. I always use winter tires long before they became popular in Holland due to the snowy winters the last four years. The total cost of two sets of tires is quite the same as summer tires only since you wear only one pair at the time (at least when you take smaller winter tires on steel rims, store them at home, and wear them before they dry out).

Test driving the sDrive18i automatic gearbox it was lacking torque to my liking. Adding the automatic gearbox made is feel disappointing for my driving style. The 118D was much much better. The xDrive18D that I choose is great, although the 20D would be my choice if I didn't overshoot my lease amount already by adding the panoramic glass roof. The elasticity of the 2 liter turbo 18D is good though; much faster then the sDrive18i. If after another 4000km the engine still feels a bit too much tempered I will consider a mild chiptuning offering me the same peak torque & power as the 20D for the few moments that I need it (when overtaking).

The sport suspension luckily is not too hard (which was my fear during the two months waiting). Thanks to the longer suspension travel of he X1 compared to the 3-series the compromise on comfort is not that severe :-)
Appreciate 0