Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

08-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
Bimmerized
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive

Servotronic Steering option for X1 sDrive

Does anyone know why Servotronic is available on the sDrive if they are all in fact equipped with EPS?

If all sDrives will be equipped with EPS, there shouldn't be a cost option for Servotronic. I don't think any other BMW EPS has the option of Servotronic, it's built in by default. There's no need for any hardware to implement a Servotronic effect with EPS. It's all software.

So is there any chance that selecting the Servotronic option on the sDrive will revert the power steering system back to hydraulic? Interestingly the BMW VIN decoder translates the Servotronic option to be Code S216A: HYDRO STEERING-SERVOTRONIC, so maybe there is a chance. I'll soon know as my car is due in a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed.

If they are charging for Servo on an EPS system, that's a rip-off, especially if the steering feel is identical to the non-servo EPS. I know that the non-servo EPS X1 is already too light at slow speed, so I can't imagine it lighter.
Appreciate 0