Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-15-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
beeker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 2005 3-series

Squeak when you start engine

Hi everyone

I have a 2.0D X-Drive and it's got a strange problem which is proving hard to resolve. A PUMA is currently open with BMW and so far their two suggestions hasn't cured it.

Basically, when you first start the engine there is a squeek like the fanbelt is slipping. It seems to happen more when then car engine has warmed up. Sods law, it's never done it at the dealership, but I recorded it for them so they can hear it.

It has had 3 fan belts and a tension pulley, then when the PUMA was raised. BMW's first suggestion was replace the fan belt and tension pulley at the same time. Then their 2nd suggestion was replace all pulleys and the fanbelt. So now waiting for suggestion number 3 today.

Could I ask if anyone else is having this issue? You might not notice if you have the windows up, so after a trip, could you possibly turn the engine off, open your window and then restart the engine again and see if any of you have this squeek?

I opened the bonnet and both my wife and I agreed it's coming from the drives side. I have no idea what in that area though.

Or if you've had this squeek, what cured it?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by beeker; 08-16-2011 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 04:56 AM   #2
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 S20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker View Post
Hi everyone

I have a 2.0D X-Drive and it's got a strange problem which is proving hard to resolve. A PUMA is currently open with BMW and so far their two suggestions hasn't cured it.

Basically, when you first start the engine there is a squeek like the fanbelt is slipping. It seems to happen more when then car engine has warmed up. Sods law, it's never done it at the dealership, but I recorded it for them so they can hear it.

It has had 3 fan belts and a tension pulley, then when the PUMA was raised. BMW's first suggestion was replace the fan belt and tension pulley at the same time. Then their 2nd suggestion was replace all pulleys and the fanbelt. So now waiting for suggestion number 3 today.

Could I ask if anyone else is having this issue? You might not notice if you have the windows up, so after a trip, could you possibly turn the engine off, open your window and then restart the engine again and see if any of you have this squeek?

I opened the bonnet and both my wife and I agreed it's coming from the drives side. I have no idea what in that area though.

Or if you've had this squeek, what cured it?

Many thanks in advance.
Yes... Mine as the same problem..... please let us know for more news...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 06:28 AM   #3
beeker
Private First Class
Rep

Hi

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Hopefully more people will reply to this as I imagine this might be a bit more wide spread.

Have you been to your dealer and had them look at it or raised a PUMA?

Thanks for your time.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hi

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Hopefully more people will reply to this as I imagine this might be a bit more wide spread.

Have you been to your dealer and had them look at it or raised a PUMA?

Thanks for your time.
I just order a techical intervention regardig this mater. I don't like the sound of the engine when starting ou turning off. Most of the time i use the start-stop sistem off.

Hope more people make their reply

Regards
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 05:50 AM   #5
beeker
Private First Class
Rep

Well the latest suggestion from BMW is to replace the water pump and the engine vibration dampeners (I think thats what they said). So it's in today to have this done. Will pick the car up tomorrow morning so I will report back sson if this has fixed it or not. Fingers crossed!!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 07:19 AM   #6
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Well the latest suggestion from BMW is to replace the water pump and the engine vibration dampeners (I think thats what they said). So it's in today to have this done. Will pick the car up tomorrow morning so I will report back sson if this has fixed it or not. Fingers crossed!!
My 20 fingers are crossed!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 01:57 AM   #7
beeker
Private First Class
Rep

Well, picked the car up. Started engine up, no noise - great!!! Got home (a 10 minute drive), stopped engine, restarted and the squeak is still there. Service manager is updated the PUMA this morning so lets see what BMW come back with now. Very annoying. Turns out it wasn't the water pump that was replaced it was the water pump pulley.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Auto gearbox ?
Had something similar on a E46 3 Series

Sounded like fan belt slipping shortly after start for up to about 2min.
Turned out to be the Auto gearbox and a software update of the gearbox solved the problem.

We were all certain the sound as coming from the engine, but was the gearbox running a incorrect mode after startup.

There were no other signs of problems, just the sound after startup and of course never did it at the dealer.

It was a little louder if you shifted into D right after starting which made me think of the gearbox months after the problem started.
      08-25-2011, 02:09 AM   #9
beeker
Private First Class
Rep

Hi, thanks for you reply.

No mine is a manual, at it as soon as you press the start button, the engine fire up and it squeaks for a second very loud, then each time you stop at start the squeak gets quieter and then stops squeaking. Then you go for a drive and it starts all over again.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 03:41 AM   #10
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hi, thanks for you reply.

No mine is a manual, at it as soon as you press the start button, the engine fire up and it squeaks for a second very loud, then each time you stop at start the squeak gets quieter and then stops squeaking. Then you go for a drive and it starts all over again.
My problem is just like yours, so it meens that's not something that BMW does no about it. Have to be strong and force the dealer to solve it! Mine goes on 13th Set to the dealer so please up grade this problem! Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 06:46 AM   #11
beeker
Private First Class
Rep

Well, 2 weeks have past and in that time BMW came back and said to replace pulleys and fan belt again but take them from another car! Dealer has refused to do this so just waiting for their nuext suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #12
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Well, 2 weeks have past and in that time BMW came back and said to replace pulleys and fan belt again but take them from another car! Dealer has refused to do this so just waiting for their nuext suggestion.
So are BMW going to fix it?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 08:03 AM   #13
beeker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeins View Post
So are BMW going to fix it?
That's a very good question. At the moment they still haven't provided a response. BMW UK haven't contacted me back either. So I've just emailed the MD of BMW UK and CEO of BMW. So will see what happens now.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 09:42 AM   #14
beeker
Private First Class
Rep

Well my little post on BMW UK's facebook page seems to have got them to pull their finger out. They have contacted my local dealership to tell them abot the facebook comment and they want the car booking in for 3 days to replace parts on by one and if they can't resolve it then BMW are sending out a master technician. Booked in for a week Monday as we are away.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #15
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Well my little post on BMW UK's facebook page seems to have got them to pull their finger out. They have contacted my local dealership to tell them abot the facebook comment and they want the car booking in for 3 days to replace parts on by one and if they can't resolve it then BMW are sending out a master technician. Booked in for a week Monday as we are away.
Great to know. Im going next week with the same problem. If they cant solve it i will need some help
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 11:29 AM   #16
beeker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Great to know. Im going next week with the same problem. If they cant solve it i will need some help
I will keep my fingers crossed for you that they get it right for you.

Well, I sent an email to the MD of BMW UK and the CEO of BMW. Had a reply back from the MD and this morning I had a very nice chap call me who was a customer service manager. He was very apologetic and said he will see that this gets resolved. Which is all I wanted at the end of the day. I just wanted someone to take responsibility from BMW UK or Germany to work and get this resolved. Roll on the 19th.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 06:57 AM   #17
beeker
Private First Class
Rep

My car was picked up this morning to go in for 3 days to resolve the problem. Fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 06:58 AM   #18
beeker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
How did it go?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 10:20 AM   #19
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
How did it go?
Hi beeker!

Do not know yet ...

I left the car on the 13th of September and still waiting...
I told about the water pump pulley and they were amazed, said they adont know of such problem and the problems in UK are diferente from Portugal (Why???)...

If you get any news please share with us!

Regards
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #20
beeker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hi beeker!

Do not know yet ...

I left the car on the 13th of September and still waiting...
I told about the water pump pulley and they were amazed, said they adont know of such problem and the problems in UK are diferente from Portugal (Why???)...

If you get any news please share with us!

Regards
Hi ya

Blimey, it's been in that long then and they still haven't fixed it. I don't hold out much hope for mine then. I will certainly keep you posted when I find something out. I can see a master technician coming out!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #21
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hi ya

Blimey, it's been in that long then and they still haven't fixed it. I don't hold out much hope for mine then. I will certainly keep you posted when I find something out. I can see a master technician coming out!
I dont understand... are we the only ones with this problem???
Last week seen a 120d with the same noise when starting the engine...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #22
beeker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I dont understand... are we the only ones with this problem???
Last week seen a 120d with the same noise when starting the engine...
This is what I can't understand. Surely we can't be the only ones with this problem. Maybe people haven't noticed it as it's hard to hear with the windows up. My 320d had the same issue after a fanbelt replacement but 2 fanbelts later it was ok. I'm wondering if it's a some kind of manufacturing problem with the fanbelt or pulley.
Appreciate 0