Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Took the X1 to the track

Ran the X1 at Mid-Ohio today

Was easily the most fun I've had in a long time. The car is completely capable of tracking and is faster than a lot of other cars out there, including in the corners.

Disabled DTC and DSC and the car rotates like a dream, super easy to oversteer and steer by the throttle. Hit between 130-140mp on the back straight.

It was my first track day so they put me in the beginner group (C), but I was one of (if not the) fastest car/driver in the C group (which included some very nice cars, M3's, 911's, etc) and they signed me off to be in intermediate next time! Here's a lap before the camera died - this was only my 2nd session (30min each) on the dry track ever.

Stock runflat tires, stock suspension:

Last edited by paradoxical3; 10-21-2013 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMBC2015 View Post
Sweet! Good job representing us X1 owners!
I just can't stress enough how much the X1 35i is underrated, performance-wise. I think that's why I'm so attracted to it. It looks like your ordinary run-of-the-mill miniature SUV, but when you drive it, there is nothing ordinary about clocking in 0-60 times in the low 5s.
Yup, and low 4's in my case! But honestly, even moreso than the straight line speed - there is no other SUV on earth besides perhaps the X6M and Cayenne that you can rotate like the X1. The weight distribution and 80% of the torque going to the rear wheels literally means it behaves like RWD when you disable the electronic nannies and get on the throttle. Just turn in and feather the throttle - the rear end goes exactly where you want it to.

There was a beautiful e92 DCT M3 there with an aftermarket exhaust and what sounded like test pipes there. Melbourne red with a blacked out M3 badge in the back. BTW, if you've never seen Melbourne red in person it's stunning - looks like a BMW individual color. And damn it sounded good, I think he had an aftermarket exhaust in addition to the test pipes - I almost didn't want to pass him because it sounded so good.

I pulled on him all the way down the back straight and finally overtook him after chasing for a few laps. After we finished he drove up to me and said something to the effect of "That thing is a beast!"

When the instructors first saw me pull up in it they were kind of concerned - by the end of the weekend everyone was talking about it and coming over to check it out.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2019 X5 40i

Wow! Impressive! I'm still in break in on my 2014 sDrive28i X-Line...so haven't opened it up to much. But sure can't wait! Feels so light on its feet and the 8-speed is amazing. I don't think I'm going to track this car...but nice to know how capable it actually is!

What mods do you have to your car? I assume it is a xDrive35i? M-Sport?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMZ3 View Post
Wow! Impressive! I'm still in break in on my 2014 sDrive28i X-Line...so haven't opened it up to much. But sure can't wait! Feels so light on its feet and the 8-speed is amazing. I don't think I'm going to track this car...but nice to know how capable it actually is!

What mods do you have to your car? I assume it is a xDrive35i? M-Sport?
I tried to follow break in, but just couldn't resist. Had it on the drag strip modded at 500 miles. I'm always super careful about warming the car up though and oil temp.

It's the 35i M-Sport with a JB4, downpipe, intake, and FMIC. Also flashed the transmission with the Alpina B3 flash - this made a huge difference on the track. It's an incredible difference in responsiveness. But you don't have to worry about that with the 8 speed.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
I wish Dinan would hurry it up with the N20 tune! Have you had your car strapped to a dyno?

BMW claims the 28i does 100 km/h I'm 6.7. I've tested mine at just over 6's pretty consistently. I'm wondering how much difference there is between yours and mine at the tires
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
wantm135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i m sport

wow wow wow i love it !!!!! good job para
      10-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

It's definitely not just a straight line car. It loves twisty hilly side roads, the hydraulic steering is precise and responsive, and with some bolstering, I'm convinced it would make a fine rally car. It's a little uncontrolled when cresting, but it takes rough corners like a champ.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
It's definitely not just a straight line car. It loves twisty hilly side roads, the hydraulic steering is precise and responsive, and with some bolstering, I'm convinced it would make a fine rally car. It's a little uncontrolled when cresting, but it takes rough corners like a champ.
I have the M sport s28i, and your description is right on on the uncontrolled part.

I've been on a track up to corrected 110mph and Euro delivery up to speedo 152mph, and it has this sway dance that seems to start about 120mph, even at 80 mph in high wind.

It feels like the air is trying to pick up while it rolls from side to side.

It could also be the Pirelli P7 summer run flats, but high speed over 120mph on bumpy roads won't be fun like a sedan.

Of course 110mph on a good track is enough for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
I have the M sport s28i, and your description is right on on the uncontrolled part.

I've been on a track up to corrected 110mph and Euro delivery up to speedo 152mph, and it has this sway dance that seems to start about 120mph, even at 80 mph in high wind.

It could also be the Pirelli P7 summer run flats, but high speed over 120mph on bumpy roads won't be fun like a sedan.

Of course 110mph on a good track is enough for me.
Strange, I felt zero sway at around 140mph on the back straight in that video. Could be the extra weight of the xdrive providing more stability perhaps.

But honestly, I am inclined to think that it is your tires. They are pretty universally panned as terrible tires. I have the 19in P-Zero's which while not the best, are significantly better. What's the speed rating on your tires? You had to be getting close their limit.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post

I had mine to 130/limiter and never had swaying in Germany, but there were some unrestricted motorways that I didn't feel like the X1 was stable for 110+ speeds.

Back home, there is a ~2 mile section of cement freeway where the car sways side to side. I'm fairly certain it's a combination of the "Summer performance" wheel option (really just crappy Goodyear EfficientGrip summer touring tires) and the road surface. I haven't experienced it with any other car yet the X1 does it every time through that section. I've also wondered if it was the staggered setup, maybe the rear wheels catch different road surface on the extra width that the fronts don't and this causes more drag on the tire and pulls the car a little.

I also have a similar profile crossover and the wind can play with the car a fair bit at over 40mph cross winds, but I can't say I'm certain it's happened to the X1 in 4k miles but I wouldn't be surprised one day to notice it but locally the wind is N/S and so are most of the freeways so no cross wind at highs speed.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #11
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep

To analyze further, on the autobahn I was doing 120 mph speedo with high side wind on very good pavement while the usual station wagon configuration cars BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and VW would pass doing about 130 - 140 mph.

I felt it roll slightly which I could use to just change lanes instead of forcing to stay in lane.

Don't get me wrong; I love the overall handling, the electric steering, and the traction of the Pirelli P7's performance tires.

I ordered 8 x18 and 9 x18 wheels so I could put lower profile tires on later to gear down some, and take 28 #'s of tire weight off.

Those of you with the x35i have more weight and traction on each wheel which might make the difference.

It'll take me 2 or 3 years to use up OEM tires, and then, I think some 225/40r18 and 255/35 r18 might help.

Lower and not run flat bounce.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #12
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The other possibility is that the X35i may have a much firmer suspension configuration to deal with the extra weight. Might be the same kind of thing with the brakes - the 28i has poor brakes while the 35i has the 335i brakes, which are quite good.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #13
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
The other possibility is that the X35i may have a much firmer suspension configuration to deal with the extra weight. Might be the same kind of thing with the brakes - the 28i has poor brakes while the 35i has the 335i brakes, which are quite good.
The x35i has bigger heavier brakes plus drive parts which might hold the front down.

I would brake at 110-60 and 90 -40 mph repeatedly as hard as possible on a very hot 95 degree noon at High Plains Raceway.

I couldn't get the pedal to feel different or stop different, so I'm puzzled at people saying it has poor brakes.

I even checked rotor temps at less than 600 deg f while a friend with M6 had 600 plus deg f in his rotors after same run.

Maybe the bad brake rumor is from the vacuum boost recall problem coming up, or happening on the x28i's, but I have trouble driving gently without throwing my wife into the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #14
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

I did 230 km/h in the X1, it isn't stable on high speeds, it's just too high, too much wind underneath the car.
Also took it around the ring this summer, too much body roll because of the height, but it still was fun.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #15
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naambezet View Post
I did 230 km/h in the X1, it isn't stable on high speeds, it's just too high, too much wind underneath the car.
Also took it around the ring this summer, too much body roll because of the height, but it still was fun.
Awesome picture!

I don't know why they don't offer an M-sport besides in the United States - the M-sport suspension really reduces body roll and helps with stability compared to the x-line I drove.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #16
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep

Naambezet,

Now that's a great post. I took Euro delivery on June 29, and by the time I got near the Rhein everything was flooding.

I'm a track guy, but decided the karma wasn't in my favor so I didn't go to the Ring.

May I ask your X1 configuration, since it is a Netherlands or Euro spec car. Right?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #17
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

You might consider getting one of these camera's for the car.

BlackVue Wi-Fi DR500GW-HD
http://blackvue.com/en/contents/sub1.asp?idx=16

Won't have to worry about battery power and it would show GPS location and date/time and speed readings if so desired.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #18
wantm135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i m sport

to much air under the car hum i remember somebody was saying why in the world would you lower an x1 there you go improved handling. Plus you also receive better mpg and looks better.
      10-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #19
Fedie
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3
Ran the X1 at Mid-Ohio today

Was easily the most fun I've had in a long time. The car is completely capable of tracking and is faster than a lot of other cars out there, including in the corners.

Disabled DTC and DSC and the car rotates like a dream, super easy to oversteer and steer by the throttle. Hit between 130-140mp on the back straight.

It was my first track day so they put me in the beginner group (C), but I was one of (if not the) fastest car/driver in the C group (which included some very nice cars, M3's, 911's, etc) and they signed me off to be in intermediate next time! Here's a lap before the camera died - this was only my 2nd session (30min each) on the dry track ever.

Stock runflat tires, stock suspension:

Next time you are back in the track try using the m lap timer
Long gone, Le Mans Blue X1 xdrive35 M-Sport - Alpina TCU flash - HR springs - Catless dp - JB4 ST2 - CAI -- Alpine White 2007 335i E92 - Procede v3 Stg 2/3 custom - VRSP 3" DP - Stett charge + Forge DV - Stett CAI - CXracing IC
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #20
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Or Torque+track recorder or similar. I'm curious what G's you can get before the car starts to slide. Also a good way to track temperatures...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 04:26 AM   #21
Van1
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
the 28i has poor brakes
Huh? Based on what experience did you come to this conclusion?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #22
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van1 View Post
Huh? Based on what experience did you come to this conclusion?
It's been one of the most consistently mentioned things in reviews of the x28i. There has been some debate whether it's due to poor tires or just undersized brakes, but one way or the other the x35i stops better (and has physically bigger and better rotors and calipers).
Appreciate 0