Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

05-27-2023, 08:34 AM   #1
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

Charge Pipe

Getting ready to replace Valve Cover and will also do spark plugs, Coils and Charge pipe

2013 X1 35i MSpoert with about 115K miles

Any Favorite suppliers?

I am going with the Viaco Valve Cover, as it's cheaper than OEM but not the Chinesse one.

Any problem with non OEM coils?

Looking for an aluminum Charge pipe, Already replaced the plastic one at about 70K miles.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 1
Kriston150.00
      05-27-2023, 10:41 AM   #2
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Kind of an anecdotal generalization, but over on e90post and 1addicts, people tend to have problems with non-oem valve covers. If it was mine, I'd probably go oem with that one. But then again, I'm on my 3rd oem valve cover due to oil leaks, so there's that...

For charge pipe, I've ran the vrsf aluminum one for a couple years without issue. It seemed to fit just fine when I put it in. I'm comfortable recommending it.

What are you doing for coils? I replaced mine with Eldors, but I can't say for sure if there was any difference in performance. I thought timing corrections seemed to get worse, but it could have been placebo, or crap gas. Not sure how coils would even influence timing corrections? Probably a topic for a different discussion, haha!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 03:33 PM   #3
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
Kind of an anecdotal generalization, but over on e90post and 1addicts, people tend to have problems with non-oem valve covers. If it was mine, I'd probably go oem with that one. But then again, I'm on my 3rd oem valve cover due to oil leaks, so there's that...

For charge pipe, I've ran the vrsf aluminum one for a couple years without issue. It seemed to fit just fine when I put it in. I'm comfortable recommending it.

What are you doing for coils? I replaced mine with Eldors, but I can't say for sure if there was any difference in performance. I thought timing corrections seemed to get worse, but it could have been placebo, or crap gas. Not sure how coils would even influence timing corrections? Probably a topic for a different discussion, haha!
I understand the "OEM argument" but I'm on my third OEM radiator that is crap. I checked our some other boards and the Vaico has some good comments.

Thanks for the charge pipe. i will check it out.

I think my coils and spark plugs are Bosch
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 10:37 PM   #4
Westies
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post

I have a different experience- and was going to recommend staying away from the VRSF chargepipe. The fitment is bad and rubs on the power steering (IIRC) lines.

As far as coils/plugs go, if you are tuned or modded OP, you might consider the precision raceworks ignition kit. It solved all of my misfire issues.
      05-29-2023, 11:17 AM   #5
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

I stuck with OEM for the VC, plugs, and coils. VC was expensive but, oh my, is it a superbly molded pice of plastic. (/s). Plugs and coils weren't bad pricewise.

I, too, went with a VRSF charge pipe. Most issues I've seen on forums was over the inside of it or fitment...so QA. Others have no issues or gripes at all. Mine had a very tiny tang that I had to file off. 10s with metal file and I was off to install it. 4+ years later, still working like a champ. It doesnt use the OE mount (bolt) but I haven't had any rubbing issues.
      05-30-2023, 06:18 PM   #6
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

The the OP, what prompted you to change the VC? If it's not leaking, I'd leave it alone. Many people screw up the install that leads to leak later on.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 01:44 PM   #7
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
The the OP, what prompted you to change the VC? If it's not leaking, I'd leave it alone. Many people screw up the install that leads to leak later on.
Whistle sound. Smoke test showed a leak.

Just replaced this weekend. Replaced a few other parts.

I'm thinking about setting it up for tracking...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 11:12 PM   #8
E30_Crazy
Rep
Drives: 2014 X-Line 35i

If you haven't already settled on a charge pipe, take a look at ETS. Theirs is attached at both ends by silicone elbows, allowing for fine adjustments on install to prevent rubbing.any of the others retain the fixed "cup and c-clip" style same as OEM which reduces adjustability.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 06:57 AM   #9
fnp93
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 35i - Z3 DASC

OEM valve cover gasket and possibly just a new valve cover. If it’s like the n52 it’s plastic.

Charge pipe, I really my VRSF, fits great, good piece of mind. Be sure to snug your fittings really tight!
Appreciate 0