Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

04-08-2021, 01:37 AM   #1
victordan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

Steering wheel vibration during braking

Hello everybody,

I am a new member on this forum.Please forgive me if there were another thread with this topic , I couldn't find it.

I have a probleam that drives me crazy with my X1 e 84 20d Sdrive.

I have vibration /shaking in steering wheel during braking.

I have replaced until now:

1.Brake disc and brake pads-form TRM- for 2000 km the vibration dissapears, but now the problem is back
2.Upper arm bushes.
3.Tires- 4 new summer tires Conti Sport Contact.

I have checked all 4 brake discs( or break rotors) for runout with the comparator- 0.05 maximum runout.

Does anybody have any idea what can be the problem? I tried with others wheels, but the problem is the same.

Last summer, I have changed the wheel bearings( both from the front axle), but I don't think this has an influence.

Please share some ideas with me, this car is driving me crazy
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 09:44 PM   #2
ytt105
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Sounds to me like pad build up on the rotors.

I've got a Discovery 4/LR4 and because they have such large brakes you don't need to push them hard for them to work well. What happens when you continually brake lightly is the pad material builds up on the rotor creating vibrations when braking. You replace the brakes and all is well for a while until the material builds up again.

The fix is to stand on the brakes 5 or 6 times from 100kph/60mph until you wear the buildup off, then make sure you brake heavily sometimes.

Try it.

It fixed my problem, and a few other people who were sick of throwing money at the problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 01:27 AM   #3
victordan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

Yes, I tried to do this but only one time.I will try again to have this brake from 100 km/h, 5,6 times.

My concerning is that maybe if the steering box has some problem, this could be an symptom - vibration during braking. Next step would be to change the steering box, but this is quite a big investment and I am not sure if the problem is coming from there.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 08:07 AM   #4
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

On my 14 X1 s28i, I didn't like the hard grab the brakes give, so I put Akebono Euro ceramic pads on, and like the braking much better.

I noticed at half worn the fronts had a center of crumbling crystalized pad material.

Now I can push brake and feel it stop on the rotor, but you can get stopping power by pushing harder. It looks like some of the crystal scratches have been cleaned off of the rotors.

Pads will last longer, and less dust.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 04:25 AM   #5
Dragan958
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x1 xdrive 18d

I solved the same problem by replacing the lower left and right traction struts (31126768983 and 31126768984). The steering wheel shook terribly when braking, although there are new plates and discs, many think that is the main cause. But after replacing the mentioned traction struts, the steering wheel is extraordinarily quiet with every braking and speed. The problem was cracked softened rubber dampers on the same. Problem 100% solved.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf donje rame.pdf (185.8 KB, 134 views)
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2021, 08:33 AM   #6
hurvey
Registered
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 E84 XDRIVE 2.0D

The same problem i used to have before;

i first use hella pagid discs+pagid brake pads it failed. I entered smooting machine (lathe) but it failed again

then changed brake liquid and used brasilian carbon discs it failed again, rims were cleaned but it did not work.

Finally i see that there is a smoke when use it in ramp roads... In my opinion it is because high temperature and because of design brakes are very hot...and cause vibration to steering wheel...

I solved it using zimmerman disc (having holes on it)+ ferodo brake pads

2 years passed and no problem...i hope it helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 03:41 PM   #7
chance91
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurvey View Post
The same problem i used to have before;

i first use hella pagid discs+pagid brake pads it failed. I entered smooting machine (lathe) but it failed again

then changed brake liquid and used brasilian carbon discs it failed again, rims were cleaned but it did not work.

Finally i see that there is a smoke when use it in ramp roads... In my opinion it is because high temperature and because of design brakes are very hot...and cause vibration to steering wheel...

I solved it using zimmerman disc (having holes on it)+ ferodo brake pads

2 years passed and no problem...i hope it helps.
Wouldn't say its due to heat. I had my car on track for about 2 hrs total, lots of heavy braking. Brakes survived no problems. They improved over time because of removing uneven pad material layer I feel, and were smoother by the end, albeit worn out.
2005 MX-5 LS swap
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 05:01 PM   #8
pk-gs
Rep
Drives: E84 + R1150GS

Hello all,
I am also curous how this problem is solved ?
Best regards, Peter
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 10:05 PM   #9
MaverickLA
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by victordan View Post
Hello everybody,

I am a new member on this forum.Please forgive me if there were another thread with this topic , I couldn't find it.

1.Brake disc and brake pads-form TRM- for 2000 km the vibration dissapears, but now the problem is back
2.Upper arm bushes.

I have checked all 4 brake discs( or break rotors) for runout with the comparator- 0.05 maximum runout.

Does anybody have any idea what can be the problem? I tried with others wheels, but the problem is the same.

Last summer, I have changed the wheel bearings( both from the front axle), but I don't think this has an influence.

For me, I have the 2014 E84 and I to had vibration in the steering wheel when braking. For my reason they said, you will feel vibration in the wheel while braking because of having warped rotors. Alternatively, If you feel vibrations in the pedal when braking, you have an issue with the rear brakes. They’ recommend changing the rotors and brake pads when you find the need to change the pads.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 11:39 AM   #10
Cjglhm
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

BMW X1 braking vibration

I have been following the comments. I have vibration under braking as others have described. To see if it was the brakes, I also tried slowing rapidly using the cruise control: 65mph, pull the cruise control stick all the way back to slow down as quickly as possible with no brakes, and I get the same vibration. So I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the brakes.

Dragan958 (below) talked about traction struts, whatever they are. Is this viewed as a good potential solution? Any idea of the cost of doing this?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 12:27 PM   #11
marshray
Registered
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla GLI

To me, it feels that your disc brakes are not in contact with both of your tires and there must be a delay in contacting the tires also there can be some issues with excessive force applied by the disc brake on the tires. Do check if ABS is working because continuous contact can also cause a serious game, problem.

Plus also check for the axle alignment.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 08:06 PM   #12
05X3lover
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 Dark Gray X1 AWD

We're having this same issue on my wife's stock 2015 X1 with about 100K miles on it. Very hard shaking/vibrating if coming to a quick stop from freeway speeds or going down a long grade and using the brakes more. Haven't looked into solving the issue yet but definitely want to find an economical solution..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 09:44 PM   #13
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Sounds like front discs are warped based on your scenarios.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 11:41 PM   #14
frlegendsapk
Registered
Rep
Drives: supra

reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by victordan View Post
Hello everybody,

2.Upper arm bushes.

i 100% agree with you. however I noticed at half worn the fronts had a center of crumbling crystalized pad material.

Now I can push brake and feel it stop on the rotor, but you can get stopping power by pushing harder. It looks like some of the crystal scratches have been cleaned off of the rotors.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 02:01 AM   #15
elizabethsawan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshray View Post
To me, it feels that your disc brakes are not in contact with both of your tires and there must be a delay in contacting the tires also there can be some issues with excessive force applied by the disc brake on the tires. Do check if ABS is working because continuous contact can also cause a serious game, problem.

Plus also check for the axle alignment.
yea might be, Experiencing steering wheel vibration while braking can be concerning, but there are several potential causes to address this issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 02:09 PM   #16
alyx45
Registered
Rep
Drives: Toyota GLI 13

Try these steps

Steering wheel vibration during braking can indeed be frustrating, and it seems like you've already taken several steps to address the issue. Since you've already done some troubleshooting, here are a few more potential areas to consider:

Suspension Components: While you've mentioned changing the upper arm bushes, there are other suspension components that can contribute to vibrations during braking. Ball joints, tie rods, and control arm bushings could be potential culprits. If any of these components are worn or damaged, they can cause vibrations that are felt through the steering wheel.

Wheel Bearings: Although you mentioned changing the wheel bearings last summer, it's worth double-checking their condition. If a bearing is damaged or improperly installed, it could lead to vibration during braking.

Calipers and Brake Hardware: Check the calipers and brake hardware for any issues. Worn caliper slide pins, improperly installed brake hardware, or uneven brake pad wear can lead to vibrations during braking.

Hub Runout: While you've checked the brake disc runout, it's also important to check the hub runout. If the hub itself has runout, it can cause issues similar to those caused by disc runout.

Alignment: Improper alignment can lead to vibrations and uneven tire wear. Ensure that your vehicle's alignment is within the manufacturer's specifications.

Brake Fluid and Brake System: Make sure the brake fluid is at the correct level and that there are no air bubbles in the brake lines. A brake system issue, such as a malfunctioning ABS module, could also potentially cause vibrations.

Driveshaft and CV Joints: Although less common, issues with the driveshaft or CV joints could lead to vibrations that might be felt during braking.

Wheel Balancing: Even though you mentioned changing the tires, it's still worth verifying that they are properly balanced. Improperly balanced wheels can cause vibrations.

Given that you've already performed several replacements and checks, it might be a good idea to consult with a professional mechanic who specializes in your vehicle make and model. They might have specific insights based on their experience with similar cases.
Appreciate 0