XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-25-2014, 10:06 PM   #23
flguy400
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aferguson7 View Post
Would doing this flash possibly void the manufacturer's warranty?
Only if your car has an issue that can be traced back to the flash (i.e. your transmission craps out and they go "look here, you did a flash and that probably caused it").

IMO the primary reason the 6 speed is slower than the 8spd is the technology behind the transmissions. The 6 speed is a much older transmission and isn't designed to shifting as quick as the 8spd. Thus you get a lot of slop with the torque converter. When you do an alpine flash, you are essentially forcing the transmission to shift sooner, thus potentially leading to extra stress on the internal mechanisms that affect shift.

I think flashing your transmission to shift faster is up there in risk like increasing your turbo pressure via a chip. BMW is the ultimate driving machine for a reason, they test their cars to the breaking point and then tone them down about 20%.

If you google the n20 engine tests through BMW, you will find that they identified the breaking point at 320ish torque. About 20% less is 270 which happens to be the torque that the n20 engine comes with.

Now why would BMW build the ultimate driving machine and then not even consider speeding up the shifts in the transmission? It wouldn't make sense. They know the limits of the tranny and they probably backed them down about 20%.

If you want your 6speed to last over 100k miles, I would advise against doing a flash.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 10:19 PM   #24
lenwood
Rep
Drives: 2013 x135i msport

flash

fyi, the alpina software is bmw authorized software and is used in the hipo euro alpina models. bmws are over engineered cars, and changing the shift points on the transmission i personally dont think it will suffer any adverse affects
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 10:59 PM   #25
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenwood View Post
fyi, the alpina software is bmw authorized software and is used in the hipo euro alpina models. bmws are over engineered cars, and changing the shift points on the transmission i personally dont think it will suffer any adverse affects
It is not just shift points, normally the TC will absorb the torque when you change gears. If you shorten this time you get faster shifts but there is more stress on the transmission.
I could be wrong though.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 02:43 PM   #26
lenwood
Rep
Drives: 2013 x135i msport

its also improved my fuel economy during regular driving almost 1.5mpg
Appreciate 0