Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-16-2014, 12:10 AM   #1
Biggest BMW Fan
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20d

Creaking Interior

Okay, so over the last two days I've had a creaking noise coming from my front doors when driving over bumps. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I see on the internet a lot of posts regarding BMW's in general with creaky doors.

My car is going into the dealership tomorrow to have a rattle attended to in the driver's side door and rear of vehicle ... I'll have to ask them to check the creaking noise at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
DrRockSalt
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

I also have a driver's side front door rattle, and an occasional "somewhere behind me" rattle, especially when cold. It's quite annoying, but not worth wasting half a day taking it to the dealer over. Maybe when I go in for my next checkup I'll have it worked on. Keep me posted on what they find for the rattles.

I haven't heard any creaking yet, thankfully. Good luck getting it fixed. I'm a bit hesitant having interior trim worked on, since it never seems to fit as well as the first time. Also, when the dealership replaced my cup holder, they managed to trap the passenger side seat belt inside the center console cover piece. Ugh.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #3
johninjax
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X128i LeMans Blue M Sport

If it's creaking have your dealer treat the flocking with Carbaflo. It cured mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 03:35 AM   #4
Biggest BMW Fan
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRockSalt View Post
I also have a driver's side front door rattle, and an occasional "somewhere behind me" rattle, especially when cold. It's quite annoying, but not worth wasting half a day taking it to the dealer over. Maybe when I go in for my next checkup I'll have it worked on. Keep me posted on what they find for the rattles.

I haven't heard any creaking yet, thankfully. Good luck getting it fixed. I'm a bit hesitant having interior trim worked on, since it never seems to fit as well as the first time. Also, when the dealership replaced my cup holder, they managed to trap the passenger side seat belt inside the center console cover piece. Ugh.
Will let you know what the outcome is DrRockSalt.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 03:36 AM   #5
Biggest BMW Fan
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninjax View Post
If it's creaking have your dealer treat the flocking with Carbaflo. It cured mine.
Thanks for the advise Johninjax!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 08:14 PM   #6
dsx724
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 sDrive28i

My car is 40 days old and when I go over non-perfect surfaces, the driver side door rattles like crazy. BMW needs some quality control. For a car that's been the same for the last 4 years and still have these issues is absurd.
      07-21-2014, 09:41 PM   #7
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x2

I have another creaking drivers seat. The 1st seat was replaced at about 6 months and 2k miles. The new seat is now creaking worse than the original. I have an added popping sound by the b pillar
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 12:01 AM   #8
Biggest BMW Fan
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep

Okay, so I collected my X1 on Friday and got told a million and one reasons why the cars creak / rattle ...

I got told ALL the BMW X1's, X3's, X5's and X6's creak like that - I also got there is a acceptable and unacceptable amount of noise. As far as I'm concerned there shouldn't be ANY noise! I think its absolutely ridiculous

Apparently they took my front doors off, lubricated everything and refitted the striking plates on the back doors ... It was much better day one, but the noise is now back again. There is also a rattle coming from the back of the car somewhere - sounds like its coming from the left-hand rear seat area & or boot area.

The driver's side door is also still rattling!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #9
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest BMW Fan View Post
Okay, so I collected my X1 on Friday and got told a million and one reasons why the cars creak / rattle ...
they are fullocrap. My dealer has addressed and corrected every squeak and rattle of my '13 X1. They've NEVER offered up any excuses...they just fixed the problem. Your dealer SUCKS.

Possible solution to squeaking doors...I hope it works for you...

The next time you hear your door creaking try rolling down the window of the affected door. If the creaking goes away then maybe you've found your problem. The creaking could be coming from the ineraction between the glass(dirty) and the rubber weatherstrip (also dirty). Clean the glass with the window lowered a bit and then clean the rubber channel with alcohol or Windex on a Q-tip. Lastly, with additional Q-tips, apply a spray Silicone lube to a Q-tip and rub it inside the clean rubber channel. Gummipfledge Rubber Care can also be used instead of Silicone...and is preferred. Roll up the windows and test drive. Hopefully, it's fixed.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 11:49 PM   #10
Biggest BMW Fan
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
they are fullocrap. My dealer has addressed and corrected every squeak and rattle of my '13 X1. They've NEVER offered up any excuses...they just fixed the problem. Your dealer SUCKS.

Possible solution to squeaking doors...I hope it works for you...

The next time you hear your door creaking try rolling down the window of the affected door. If the creaking goes away then maybe you've found your problem. The creaking could be coming from the ineraction between the glass(dirty) and the rubber weatherstrip (also dirty). Clean the glass with the window lowered a bit and then clean the rubber channel with alcohol or Windex on a Q-tip. Lastly, with additional Q-tips, apply a spray Silicone lube to a Q-tip and rub it inside the clean rubber channel. Gummipfledge Rubber Care can also be used instead of Silicone...and is preferred. Roll up the windows and test drive. Hopefully, it's fixed.
Thank you HBWT, when I leave work this afternoon I'll give it a try. Lets hold thumbs that it solves the problem. It's a brilliant car, don't get me wrong, but this minor irritations are starting to make me regret buying the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #11
Biggest BMW Fan
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Thank you HBWT, when I leave work this afternoon I'll give it a try. Lets hold thumbs that it solves the problem. It's a brilliant car, don't get me wrong, but this minor irritations are starting to make me regret buying the car.
Hi HBWT,

On my way home this afternoon I tried opening one window at a time to see what happens. I ended up opening all four windows before the creaking noise disappeared (clearly the windows are the problem as you suspected). When I got home I did as you said and cleaned inside the rubbers, then used some silicon spray. I then tested the car again but the creaking is still there! Once again I tried opening the windows and the noise disappears ... As soon as I close them again it's back! Have you got any other suggestions of what I could try?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #12
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Have you got any other suggestions of what I could try?
UGH! If you have already done the entire perimeter(both sides and top) of the weatherstripping AND thoroughly cleaned the GLASS, then I'd focus on a single glass. Start with the driver's side. While driving (and creaking) press in on the glass in each corner and see if that stops the creaking. Note where you were pushing in when the creaking stopped. This may help you isolate the noise. Beyond that, I'm at a loss as to what will fix your issue. Too bad you're not nearby as I like challenges.
If you do manage to stop the creaking by pressing in on the glass then you've finally got some ammo with which to take back to your dealer. Another dealer, however, might be a better choice since we've/I've already determined that the first dealer is truly incompetent.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 01:55 PM   #13
Can_Car
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xDrive28 M-Sport

Quote:
I'm wondering if you have the option to take it to a different dealer to try and get them to try and fix it?

2015 X1 Valencia Orange, M Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 11:50 PM   #14
Biggest BMW Fan
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
UGH! If you have already done the entire perimeter(both sides and top) of the weatherstripping AND thoroughly cleaned the GLASS, then I'd focus on a single glass. Start with the driver's side. While driving (and creaking) press in on the glass in each corner and see if that stops the creaking. Note where you were pushing in when the creaking stopped. This may help you isolate the noise. Beyond that, I'm at a loss as to what will fix your issue. Too bad you're not nearby as I like challenges.
If you do manage to stop the creaking by pressing in on the glass then you've finally got some ammo with which to take back to your dealer. Another dealer, however, might be a better choice since we've/I've already determined that the first dealer is truly incompetent.
I haven't had a chance to try pressing in on the glass as yet, but will give it a try this weekend HBWT.
My car is actually booked in with BMW for this coming Monday - unfortunately at the same dealer. I sent them a email yesterday stating I actually don't want the car anymore and I would like them to take the car back as I've had shocking service and issues with the car from day one!
I got a response back stating they need to try ATTEMPTING to resolve the issues first before considering taking the X1 back.
That's fine with me, I'm going to give them one more chance. I will keep you posted as to the outcome.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #15
Biggest BMW Fan
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
I haven't had a chance to try pressing in on the glass as yet, but will give it a try this weekend HBWT.
My car is actually booked in with BMW for this coming Monday - unfortunately at the same dealer. I sent them a email yesterday stating I actually don't want the car anymore and I would like them to take the car back as I've had shocking service and issues with the car from day one!
I got a response back stating they need to try ATTEMPTING to resolve the issues first before considering taking the X1 back.
That's fine with me, I'm going to give them one more chance. I will keep you posted as to the outcome.
I went and spoke to another dealership on the way home this afternoon. As soon as I mentioned the creaking doors and said the noise goes away once you've opened the windows slightly, the service advisor asked me do I have window tint film on the windows ... I answered yes.
He then said to me that he believes the window tint / smash & grab film is creating the problem. Would you agree with this HBWT?
If that is the cause of the noise I can just have the window tint removed (the dealership had fitted the tint onto the car before I bought it).
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 09:09 AM   #16
johninjax
Private First Class
Rep

Nonsense. It's not the tint. I had issues before and after tint.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 09:41 AM   #17
Biggest BMW Fan
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninjax View Post
Nonsense. It's not the tint. I had issues before and after tint.
What turned out to be the cause of the issues on your car Johninjax?
How did they resolve it?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 09:59 AM   #18
salzo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Have any of you tried this Gummipledge stuff? Does it help?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004B8GTQG/...l_4m59hfa1dn_b
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 12:57 PM   #19
dsx724
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 sDrive28i

Quote:
I went and spoke to another dealership on the way home this afternoon. As soon as I mentioned the creaking doors and said the noise goes away once you've opened the windows slightly, the service advisor asked me do I have window tint film on the windows ... I answered yes.
He then said to me that he believes the window tint / smash & grab film is creating the problem. Would you agree with this HBWT?
If that is the cause of the noise I can just have the window tint removed (the dealership had fitted the tint onto the car before I bought it).
I put the car through two soap washes and the noises disappeared. Probably going to come back though.
      07-28-2014, 05:25 PM   #20
johninjax
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What turned out to be the cause of the issues on your car Johninjax?
How did they resolve it?
They treated the flocking on the weather stripping with Carbaflo. Prior to that my car creaked like an old wooden boat.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 05:51 AM   #21
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

It's the doorrubbers, been to the dealer a million times when I still had warranty. They fix it, but the sound always comes back.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 01:50 PM   #22
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Would you agree with this HBWT?
Nope. I have tint and no noise. However, I keep my glass clean and POLISHED and use Gummipflege on the rubber. That might be the difference.
Who knows, maybe you have "sticky tint"

1Z Gummipfledge

http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-...m_campaign=CSE
Appreciate 0