Garage List
1998 BMW M3/4  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3 Sedan  [9.28]
1988 BMW M3  [9.40]
1990 BMW M3  [10.00]
2008 BMW 135i - sold  [0.00]
2003 BMW M3 - sold  [0.00]
Suspension question

Just from browsing this forum, it sounds like the X1 suspension is very similar to an E90 suspension. I'm curious how similar. I have AST's on my E90 M3 that were originally on my 135i. I assume I'd need M3 rear control arms like I had on the 135i, but other than that, would they bolt right up? Curious about damper lengths (droop) and spring rates for the X1. Anyone have any good knowledge on this? I'm trying to decide if it is time to sell the E90 M3 or not. Thanks!! Justin
2011 BMW 328i racecar - LeMans Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Is the M3 a manual with no sunroof? How many miles? Oops, noticed it's a DCT. My search continues.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #3
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin(OKC) View Post
Just from browsing this forum, it sounds like the X1 suspension is very similar to an E90 suspension. I'm curious how similar. I have AST's on my E90 M3 that were originally on my 135i. I assume I'd need M3 rear control arms like I had on the 135i, but other than that, would they bolt right up? Curious about damper lengths (droop) and spring rates for the X1. Anyone have any good knowledge on this? I'm trying to decide if it is time to sell the E90 M3 or not. Thanks!! Justin
I have been talking to a local race shop about doing a full-fledged JRZ suspension setup, so I've been researching this for a while.

We have a lot of good options, and a couple of limitations.

You are right that the X1 suspension is very similar to the e90 suspension, and as a result of this some of the M3 parts will swap. The M3 rear guide rods and upper rods 100% swap; they are the exact same part number as the e9x on real oem. The wishbones I'm not so sure about - they visually look like they will fit, but are a different part number.

The same goes for the bushings. The X1 subframe bushings are a different part number on realOEM, but this is more likely because they are a different pliability than the e9x ones. For example, the e91 bushings are a different part number than the 335i ones, but I believe they swap. The diagrams are the same, and I have a feeling that the M3 bushings will swap - I just haven't confirmed this yet.

The front sway bar is identical to that of an e91 touring, so upgrades for that will work on the X1 as well.

The rear bar is another situation where the X1 has a unique part number; I haven't done investigation as to whether it will swap or not yet, but I will have the shop look at it the next time I am in.

I know for a fact that JRZ can make a compatible suspension with an X1 35i xdrive, which means it's likely Ohlins or AST can as well.

As for your question about whether it's time to sell the M3 - while the X1 is not as ideal of a platform to start from for track use (after all, we are spending money to upgrade to M3 parts the M3 has stock), with a few mods it is competent enough where with a good driver you can enjoy it and overtake M3's on the track (I have personally done so, and it was a hell of a lot of fun). Nobody will ever confuse it for a 911, but it has the exact same potential as a 335 x drive - same weight and can be lowered to the same height. Throw a tune, FMIC, downpipe, sticky tires, and a good suspension setup on there and you will be passing stock M3's all day long. Of course, the M3 has all this stock and is certainly more of a drivers car - but gaining AWD and the utility of the X1 is worth the tradeoff to me.

One other thing - you can make the X1 faster in a straight line for much cheaper and easier than you can a M3. I ran a 12.1 1/4 mile on street tires. To do that in a M3, you need 5K+ of of mods (drag radials, test pipes, tune, pulley, etc). But I will warn you of this - you will miss that pure throttle response of the M3. No turbo car will be able to give you that, and I intend on picking up a pure N/A sports car as a second car in a year or so to satisfy that itch.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 04-03-2014 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
Justin(OKC)
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1988 M3, 1990 M3, 1998 M3/4

Garage List
1998 BMW M3/4  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3 Sedan  [9.28]
1988 BMW M3  [9.40]
1990 BMW M3  [10.00]
2008 BMW 135i - sold  [0.00]
2003 BMW M3 - sold  [0.00]
Thanks for the long reply. I'm not really getting the X1 to replace the M3, make it faster than the M3, or anything like that. Life is changing and I need something with a little more utility. I may just keep the M3, but I am going to have to figure out garage space. I have a dedicated race car (E30 M3) that will serve the track duty. I need something to haul bikes around town and get me to work in the snow/ice. It would be nice if it was quick and fun to drive. I think the X1 will fit those needs perfectly. Being one that can't leave anything alone, I'd like to lower it and put spacers on it. Nothing crazy. However, if I sell my M3.....I own a $6k suspension setup that rides great on the street that I'm pretty sure will go on the X1 by only changing the rear camber arms. I'm thinking it might be worth considering if I decide to let the M3 go. Otherwise, I think I'm leaning towards some H&R or Eibach springs for the X1. Thanks so much for the input!
2011 BMW 328i racecar - LeMans Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin(OKC) View Post
Thanks for the long reply. I'm not really getting the X1 to replace the M3, make it faster than the M3, or anything like that. Life is changing and I need something with a little more utility. I may just keep the M3, but I am going to have to figure out garage space. I have a dedicated race car (E30 M3) that will serve the track duty. I need something to haul bikes around town and get me to work in the snow/ice. It would be nice if it was quick and fun to drive. I think the X1 will fit those needs perfectly. Being one that can't leave anything alone, I'd like to lower it and put spacers on it. Nothing crazy. However, if I sell my M3.....I own a $6k suspension setup that rides great on the street that I'm pretty sure will go on the X1 by only changing the rear camber arms. I'm thinking it might be worth considering if I decide to let the M3 go. Otherwise, I think I'm leaning towards some H&R or Eibach springs for the X1. Thanks so much for the input!
Sounds like the X1 will fit your needs perfectly. That's the ideal situation to be in - X1 as a fantastic daily driver and a separate track toy to beat on.

I am also pretty sure that your suspension will fit on the X1, though you will want different spring rates of course. The shop I've been dealing with, Turn In Concepts, has extensive experience with AST and JRZ, and has seen my X1 pretty often. If you want to be sure call them up and ask for Tony. They are actually a forum sponsor I believe.
Appreciate 0