08-05-2021, 06:32 PM   #23
AK_Wes
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portly View Post
This is a pretty good place to start regarding what's involved as a DIYer.

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-repl...part-1-removal

It's.... involved. I plan to address mine in the not-too-distant future, just so I don't have to worry about it.

_Jeff
I saw that same guide a little while ago and that's what made me think about doing it myself at some point in the future. I at just over 50k miles and I don't hear any noise just yet, but if I have the vehicle still in a few more years I will give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 08:48 AM   #24
aloyouis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 x28 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloyouis View Post
I did just as you indicated above and it seems tight. No movement up or down. 79k miles.
So now I am at 83K miles. The engine has used no oil in 3K miles since I changed it. Sounds exactly the same. Runs great and getting about 27 MPG in mixed use.

Am I out of the woods on a timing chain issue?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 07:44 AM   #25
4_ring_circus
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Corrado, Audi S4, X1 128xi

I have done a tone of research into this issue on the N20 engine and on Audis TFSI 2.0 which seems to have a similar issue.

From what I have gathered and experienced it is the guides that wear out from not doing proper oil changes or not using the proper oil. I have a 2012 X1 that I bought with "bad timing chain" and no compression in any of the cylinders, I did some investigating into this bad engine and it turned out that one of the guides fell apart retarded the timing and plugged up the oil pick up. There was no compression because engine was not timed properly, there was no damage to the valves or pistons. Oil starvation caused scoring on the camshafts and camshaft journals.

Anyways, long story short I bought a replacement engine out of a 2013 with 100k kms and it already had play in the chain and the guides were worn a fair amount. Had those replaced while the engine was out of the car.

So just a reminder to watch out and be careful what mechanics tell you, chains don't usually just break on their own, there is usually an underlying issue with something else.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 08:02 AM   #26
aloyouis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 x28 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4_ring_circus View Post
I have done a tone of research into this issue on the N20 engine and on Audis TFSI 2.0 which seems to have a similar issue.

From what I have gathered and experienced it is the guides that wear out from not doing proper oil changes or not using the proper oil. I have a 2012 X1 that I bought with "bad timing chain" and no compression in any of the cylinders, I did some investigating into this bad engine and it turned out that one of the guides fell apart retarded the timing and plugged up the oil pick up. There was no compression because engine was not timed properly, there was no damage to the valves or pistons. Oil starvation caused scoring on the camshafts and camshaft journals.

Anyways, long story short I bought a replacement engine out of a 2013 with 100k kms and it already had play in the chain and the guides were worn a fair amount. Had those replaced while the engine was out of the car.

So just a reminder to watch out and be careful what mechanics tell you, chains don't usually just break on their own, there is usually an underlying issue with something else.
Great info, thank you.

My engine sounds fine, runs strong, has had frequent oil changes and consumes no oil. Best bet is just to continue, I guess.

Will do.
Appreciate 0