XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-18-2017, 02:01 AM   #727
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Curious to know what happens when you come across say bartenders or waiters/ waitresses? Their job is to take your order, serve and ensure that everything is alright... So, no tip?

It's all personal preference, but I'm probably the polar opposite of you... Interesting to see other people's take...
Waiters? Waitresses? I tip them.

I do wish America would raise food prices and include the tip and tax in the menu price.

Go to a steak house
Person A buys a new york steak for $50.
Person B buys a wagyu grade 5 for $500.
Each person tips 20%.

Why should Person B pay $100 in tips when Person A pays $10? Is it more challenging to take the Wagyu out from the kitchen? This is the same restaurant so the service will be the same especially given that the two people are at the same table. I cannot follow the logic in that. That makes my [insert mental issue here] flare up.

It's like a McDonalds sign that says:
6 piece nugget = 1 sauce
10 piece nugget = 2 sauces
20 piece nugget = 3 sauces

No! You cannot do that. Two 10 piece nuggets is the same as one 20 piece nugget! You can't take away 50% of my sauce because I called it a 20 piece. Where is the logic in that?

Pizza delivery? I drive there myself and pick it up. I'll carry my own luggage from the curb to the cart. I will park my own car. I will open my own door. I will take the paper towel from the machine myself (at the club).

I do not value people doing those things for me. Therefore, I have a hard time paying for it. On top of that, I expect literally nothing in the form of tipping or incentives in my job.

I find comfort in black and white.

Watch this and then see how choice isn't always a good thing. Then, relate that to tipping and how opened ended it is.

Your logic actually doesn't make sense...

Your analogy was something about -
10 nuggets is 2 sauces
20 nuggets is 3 sauces

You decide to get two 10 piece nuggets, which will net you four sauces from your example? How is four sauces 50% more than three sauces?

Even more so - raising the prices of food and include tip and tax in menu price?? So now we're going to pay more than what you would if you gave 20% tip?? I'm not understanding that logic either... So basically, you just have an issue with tipping itself? Whereas I am treated rather well at places that I frequent because I tip well... There are some restaurants I frequent where the valet will leave my car up front, regardless if the lot is full or not, and case in point at the restaurant we went to tonight? I didn't have a reservation and they seated us immediately... Shaved 30-45 minutes of waiting aimlessly, all because I tip... Didn't ask to cut the line, they just do... And also included a complimentary not on the menu item, on the house... That kind of service far exceeds a few tips I leave... IMO...

In my circle of friends, it's quite simple... We take turns paying, and if anything, we fight over who's going to pay... Some will sneak out to the bathroom and pay for the meal on the way back... The guy that wants to whip out his calculator app to break down who had more breadsticks or a slightly more expensive cut of meat? (Not sure about the $50 vs $500 price variance either) Would probably not invite...

To each their own... I don't have a problem with tipping whatsoever... You will probably perceive it as frivolous where I might view it as just being considerate I suppose... No point to go into detail - you do things your way and that's your prerogative... Just curious as to your thought process...
Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1136.50
      01-18-2017, 06:22 AM   #728
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08njSTEP View Post
I think it's a reality show about pilots.
Sure do air some weird shit on the television these days.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 08:39 AM   #729
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

They show the stewardess servicing the pilots?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #730
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

So they really aren't there to serve me a shitty childs bag of pretzels and a warm coca cola, but rather perform felatio on the pilots? Fuck, need a career change.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 09:14 AM   #731
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:

10 nuggets is 2 sauces
20 nuggets is 3 sauces

You decide to get two 10 piece nuggets, which will net you four sauces from your example? How is four sauces 50% more than three sauces?

Even more so - raising the prices of food and include tip and tax in menu price?? So now we're going to pay more than what you would if you gave 20% tip?? I'm not understanding that logic either... So basically, you just have an issue with tipping itself? Whereas I am treated rather well at places that I frequent because I tip well... There are some restaurants I frequent where the valet will leave my car up front, regardless if the lot is full or not, and case in point at the restaurant we went to tonight? I didn't have a reservation and they seated us immediately... Shaved 30-45 minutes of waiting aimlessly, all because I tip... Didn't ask to cut the line, they just do... And also included a complimentary not on the menu item, on the house... That kind of service far exceeds a few tips I leave... IMO...

In my circle of friends, it's quite simple... We take turns paying, and if anything, we fight over who's going to pay... Some will sneak out to the bathroom and pay for the meal on the way back... The guy that wants to whip out his calculator app to break down who had more breadsticks or a slightly more expensive cut of meat? (Not sure about the $50 vs $500 price variance either) Would probably not invite...

To each their own... I don't have a problem with tipping whatsoever... You will probably perceive it as frivolous where I might view it as just being considerate I suppose... No point to go into detail - you do things your way and that's your prerogative... Just curious as to your thought process...

Regarding the nuggets, the math was wrong. Not sure how it changes the fact of them screwing people over by charging for the 4th sauce.

Yes, I do not like tipping. Embed the tax and tip into the meal. I don't even care to know how much the tip is. If I go to the restaurant, like the food, and feel it's a value, I will return.

Regarding the steak prices, it is to talk about the idea of tipping itself, not about inviting people to eat with. I feel like tipping is a racket that doesn't make sense.
Hence, the two different tips that are to be given for the same exact service - carrying a steak from the kitchen to the table.

I am not sure how other industries would justify this type of service. I brought you a $500 product so I expect more from you than when I bring you at $50 product for the TASK OF BRINGING THE PRODUCT itself.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 10:16 AM   #732
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: to get cheeseburgers

Quote:
Quote:

10 nuggets is 2 sauces
20 nuggets is 3 sauces

Regarding the nuggets, the math was wrong. Not sure how it changes the fact of them screwing people over by charging for the 4th sauce.

Yes, I do not like tipping. Embed the tax and tip into the meal. I don't even care to know how much the tip is. If I go to the restaurant, like the food, and feel it's a value, I will return.

Regarding the steak prices, it is to talk about the idea of tipping itself, not about inviting people to eat with. I feel like tipping is a racket that doesn't make sense.
Hence, the two different tips that are to be given for the same exact service - carrying a steak from the kitchen to the table.

I am not sure how other industries would justify this type of service. I brought you a $500 product so I expect more from you than when I bring you at $50 product for the TASK OF BRINGING THE PRODUCT itself.
While I agree with you that such a large discrepancy shouldn't exist for the exact same service, I think it's very rare to find such a price range in one restaurant. If a restaurant has items between $30-$50, a few extra bucks of tip for my more expensive item doesn't bother me, and I expect consistent service for both items. If a restaurant has a $500 item, I expect absolutely stellar service that will be worthy of the massive tip required. I do not know of any (normal, not some Vegas exception with a million dollar hamburger for kicks) restaurant that offers such a variety in pricing. I have paid $500 for a meal, and they did a hell of a lot more than carrying my food out from the kitchen. If such a restaurant offered an item for $50, I'd consider it a deal that I got $500 service on the cheap.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 10:34 AM   #733
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biorin View Post
Quote:
Quote:

10 nuggets is 2 sauces
20 nuggets is 3 sauces

While I agree with you that such a large discrepancy shouldn't exist for the exact same service, I think it's very rare to find such a price range in one restaurant. If a restaurant has items between $30-$50, a few extra bucks of tip for my more expensive item doesn't bother me, and I expect consistent service for both items. If a restaurant has a $500 item, I expect absolutely stellar service that will be worthy of the massive tip required. I do not know of any (normal, not some Vegas exception with a million dollar hamburger for kicks) restaurant that offers such a variety in pricing. I have paid $500 for a meal, and they did a hell of a lot more than carrying my food out from the kitchen. If such a restaurant offered an item for $50, I'd consider it a deal that I got $500 service on the cheap.
You have a problem with the Decadence D?Or Cupcake? Or the one with caviar? You leave those $1000 desserts out of this convo... They didn't do shit to you...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 10:44 AM   #734
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep

Alexander steak house in Pasadena

Has $100+'per 3oz

So even though I was exaggerating it is still true that there is a variety in steak

More common than steak is wine ... there is quite the separation there
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 01:00 PM   #735
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Alexander steak house in Pasadena

Has $100+'per 3oz

So even though I was exaggerating it is still true that there is a variety in steak

More common than steak is wine ... there is quite the separation there
Again, I'd expect service consistent with their most expensive items (in the case of wine, perhaps that's sommelier expertise), and consider it a deal to get such a level of service for a less expensive item. Even the nicest items tend to not be out-of-bounds for the quality level of the restaurant.
Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1136.50
      01-18-2017, 06:14 PM   #736
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep

Back on topic

I confess that I carried 6 items home from the store last night in my arms because I would not spend 10 cents on a plastic bag. Would I throw 10 cents into a wishing well? Yes.

So shoei when you said, I am illogical... you have a point,
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 06:36 PM   #737
08njSTEP
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '66 SS396 Chevelle

I went to an Aldi supermarket for the 1st time and they don't have bags. You're supposed to bring your own. So I carried my pizza, (2) 2l sodas, chips and cookies out to my car by balancing the chips and cookies on top of the pizza with 1 soda under my arm and 1 in my balancing hand. Won't go there again.
Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1136.50
      01-18-2017, 07:40 PM   #738
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

Don't think I ever take a fart or basket when grabbing groceries.
I4 M50 (coming soon)
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 07:47 PM   #739
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish View Post
Don't think I ever take a fart or basket when grabbing groceries.
Yeah, farting in the produce aisle is a no no.
Appreciate 2
Aatish3458.00
PoorLurker1136.50
      01-18-2017, 07:52 PM   #740
Aatish
Lofty
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, farting in the produce aisle is a no no.
Usually do it in the seafood section.
I4 M50 (coming soon)
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 07:59 PM   #741
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish View Post
Usually do it in the seafood section.
Maybe try near the boxed curries next time, it'll be like a free sample.
Appreciate 1
UncleWede17961.00
      01-18-2017, 08:06 PM   #742
Aatish
Lofty
Rep

Quote:
Maybe try near the boxed curries next time, it'll be like a free sample.
Of course. How else would it get the flavor.
I4 M50 (coming soon)
Appreciate 1
Biorin2784.50
      01-19-2017, 07:17 AM   #743
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

I thought flatulence was meant to be a private reserve for the beans section...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 07:44 AM   #744
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

I deal with Amazon daily for my job. They are very nice people but yesterday they drove me crazy all day with their passive-aggressive demands. When I got home I looked for the heaviest item I might possibly need that had free "prime shipping".

They weren't selling elephants, but I'll now have a 500 lb safe... and a new bathtub, sink and toilet for a rental unit makeover!
Maynard3830.00
upstatedoc7555.50
      01-19-2017, 08:43 AM   #745
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
I deal with Amazon daily for my job. They are very nice people but yesterday they drove me crazy all day with their passive-aggressive demands. When I got home I looked for the heaviest item I might possibly need that had free "prime shipping".

They weren't selling elephants, but I'll now have a 500 lb safe... and a new bathtub, sink and toilet for a rental unit makeover!
You, sir, have taken vindictive but civilized acting out to a new level. My hat is off to you. (next up, free weights, auto jacks, or custom ceramic tiling?).
Appreciate 2
Biorin2784.50
wrickem2101.00
      01-19-2017, 10:38 AM   #746
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Back when our E46 was getting CPO warranty work performed, they gave us a then new 2008 x3 as a loaner for a few days. I took the in glove flashlight for keeps.
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      01-19-2017, 10:48 AM   #747
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

I confess...That I have damn cold in my fucking country...
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      01-19-2017, 12:54 PM   #748
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Wow I have lots of stories lol but I remember going to a strip club near Poughkeepsie NY I would say late 90's or early 2000's the cover charge was $10 and the flat slob of a bouncer didn't even look at the $10 bill I gave him so the balls in me asked for $10 back as I told him I gave him a $20. He then gave me my $10 back so I got in for free.

Went to a strip club here in Miami back in 2003 when I was going to school for a semester at FAU and this stripper let me finger bang her for about 4 songs in a row. I originally paid her $25 for the lap dance, however, things got a bit too hot so she demanded that I give her an extra $75 for the extra pleasure. I told her that she enjoyed that shit more than I did so I left w/o giving her extra money.
Appreciate 0