Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
Viking
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 23d

Servotronic

Dear All,
By mistake, didnīt order Servotronic, didnīt notice that it wasnīt standard in Spain (no comments requested...). In any, case would not recommend anyone to go for this vehicle without Servotronic, in particular manouvering at low speed is really heavy, and surely not for women at least
Has anyone chosen it without Servotronic and then had it installed afterwards? Would assume that this is very costly or not even possible...
Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 06:25 AM   #2
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX M60

I feel sorry for you... When my X1 was at service I borrowed an X1 without Servotronic. I had to ask the dealer if there was something wrong with the steering, but I was told that the heavy steering was because of no Servotronic. Dont know if it is electric or hydralic steering in the X1. If it is electric, it may be possible to upgrade???
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
boxy
Rep
Drives: E46 E84 E87 R56

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompak23d View Post
I feel sorry for you... When my X1 was at service I borrowed an X1 without Servotronic. I had to ask the dealer if there was something wrong with the steering, but I was told that the heavy steering was because of no Servotronic. Dont know if it is electric or hydralic steering in the X1. If it is electric, it may be possible to upgrade???
It is hydraulic, and is not possible to upgrade after sales according to factory offering...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
Taylan
Rep
Drives: 2011 X1

Hi,

Servotronic is not standard in Turkey, as well.
My X1 is without servotronic and I did not add it in my order on purpose.
I have not been very happy with servotronic's feeling in my Z4 and beacuse of this I preferred to not have it in X1.
Servotronic can be very helpful in low-speed driving and parking maneuvers. However, it's not offering enough fun, responsiveness and (for me even safety) in high speeds. On the other hand, non-servo steering is light enough if you get used to.

Viking:
Anyway, if you are not convinced, I believe that you can retrofit a servotronic kit. I know that there are several old BMW's retroffited with aftermarket servo kits in Turkey. Besides you don't have to stick BMW's original servotronic kit. There are different options.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
Viking
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 23d

Thanks for the answers, probably right that itīs that it to some extent is a matter of taste - must say that Servotronic and non-servotronic are two extremes, one is really light, the other one quite heavy. Done a lot of non-urban kilomtres these past days, and here you really leave the "low-speed problem" behind. Great car by the way, room for improvement would be 8-shift instead of 6-shift automatic.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 02:52 AM   #6
silber1
Rep
Drives: x1

There are also some German X1 drivers who didn't order Servotrinc. I was lucky to that my testcar didn't have it too, so I could make the right decission to order Servotronic. Also my dealer gave me the advice to do.
Gerhard
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 04:19 AM   #7
dimitris33
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Servotronic is not an option for the sdrive 1.8i. It cant be added. I have to live with that and be more muscular!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitris33 View Post
Servotronic is not an option for the sdrive 1.8i. It cant be added. I have to live with that and be more muscular!
I'm ordering an sDrive18i soon! How's yours? Fuel consumption?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
dimitris33
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Although question is off-topic, I will receive mine within next week. Fuel concumption on the 1.8i sdrive of one of my friend's is 10.6 urban.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #10
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Thanks Dimitris, that's not bad at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 02:30 AM   #11
jazzo
Registered
Rep
Drives: waiting x1 sdrive18d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitris33 View Post

Its true. Im waiting for sdrive18d and i was told that servotronic option is not available for Sdrives at all. Its pity and my wife has to live with it .
Appreciate 0