XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-12-2014, 06:31 PM   #23
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

We also need to look from BMW's perspective. They did that in case people change to bigger/smaller tire diameter the speedo would read different. If everything was spot on initially, after the tire change the car might be moving faster than what is shown on the speedometer. I believe there's been a lawsuit in the past.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 09:00 AM   #24
nillan
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 x28i

speed display

hello, i coded mine with BMWhat app. i did the true analog speed and the digital display as well, which is much easier to read than than needle. i did notice that the cruise control speed display is still not the actual speed. it is still showing an adjusted speed.
btw, the app developer emailed me to tell me that the app will allow coding of the nag messages in the near future. can't wait for that!
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #25
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nillan View Post
hello, i coded mine with BMWhat app. i did the true analog speed and the digital display as well, which is much easier to read than than needle. i did notice that the cruise control speed display is still not the actual speed. it is still showing an adjusted speed.
btw, the app developer emailed me to tell me that the app will allow coding of the nag messages in the near future. can't wait for that!

I have the standard radio, so I assume the apps approach doesn't apply? BTW, is it normal for the engine to shut off automatically, if you don't buckle your seat belt within just a few seconds?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 09:08 AM   #26
nillan
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 x28i

I don't have an issue with seatbelts.
Has anyone checked out the cruise control speed readout after coding true speed display. The cruise display still shows an adjusted reading.
Thx
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #27
dmark1021
Rep
Drives: X1

great review.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 12:40 PM   #28
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

Cruise control has always been matching the analog speedo reading. After i corrected the analog and digital to show true speed cruise control matches both.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 03:16 PM   #29
Aerospike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F20 M135i

So what's the official BMW stand on coding and voiding the warranty? I'm talking convenience options, not transmission reflash, etc...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #30
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerospike
So what's the official BMW stand on coding and voiding the warranty? I'm talking convenience options, not transmission reflash, etc...
Coding does not void the warranty. The vehicle can always be set back to the OEM settings! By coding the vehicle you can make your personnel setting to accommodate your own driving habits or comfort levels.
Appreciate 3
      11-05-2014, 06:55 AM   #31
Aerospike
Private First Class
Rep

Is there an option to prevent the transmission from downshifting in tiptronic mode? I’ve always driven a manual transmission and I’m trying to drive the 35i like one. I’m worried one day I’ll downshift as the transmission is doing the same, go down two gears instead of one and over rev.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #32
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerospike View Post
Is there an option to prevent the transmission from downshifting in tiptronic mode? I’ve always driven a manual transmission and I’m trying to drive the 35i like one. I’m worried one day I’ll downshift as the transmission is doing the same, go down two gears instead of one and over rev.
Two ways.

1. Just train your foot to avoid reaching the kick-down limiter. 100% throttle is achieved before you reach it.

2. Make a little throttle stop (a lot of guys doing this) and stick it behind the pedal.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...sable+Kickdown

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 09:39 AM   #33
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
is he on the forums?

i check the sponsor list but link didnt open.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 11:48 AM   #34
Aerospike
Private First Class
Rep

What if you're braking and 'manually' downshifting from 5 to 3? The car still downshifts as you slow down. You push the stick up twice to go down two gears and the car decides to do its own thing and drop a gear. You end up in second gear instead of third, over rev, and have a very expensive oops. Rev limiter/fuel cutoff won't help isn't design to help in this case.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #35
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

Quote:
What if you're braking and 'manually' downshifting from 5 to 3? The car still downshifts as you slow down. You push the stick up twice to go down two gears and the car decides to do its own thing and drop a gear. You end up in second gear instead of third, over rev, and have a very expensive oops. Rev limiter/fuel cutoff won't help isn't design to help in this case.

Have you ever had this happen? I wouldn't think the computer would allow a downshift past the redline. I have grown to hate my transmission, but I came from a M/T GTI, so ...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #36
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
?

I don't follow. When you start downshifting "manually", the car enters manual mode and does not automatically downshift as it normally would in full auto mode.

More importantly, the car will not allow any downshift (manual or auto) that would put you past the redline, in either mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #37
Aerospike
Private First Class
Rep

Zeevette, I haven't had that happen, but I have been extremely careful with the shifts, to the point where I might as well leave it in D, not even DS.

PrematureApex, I hope my transmission is the anomaly, but it does downshift automatically in manual mode. I’ve tried it several times and the transmission will go from M6 all the way down to M2 depending on how much I slow down.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 12:05 PM   #38
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Zeevette, I haven't had that happen, but I have been extremely careful with the shifts, to the point where I might as well leave it in D, not even DS.

PrematureApex, I hope my transmission is the anomaly, but it does downshift automatically in manual mode. I’ve tried it several times and the transmission will go from M6 all the way down to M2 depending on how much I slow down.
It will auto downshift to keep itself from stalling, that's all.

Anyway, you're making up a problem that doesn't exist. Again, the car will most certainly not allow a downshift to an unsafe RPM. Period. End of discussion.

This is not a new transmission. It's been out for what, a decade now? It's a non-issue.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2014, 06:43 AM   #39
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Two ways.

1. Just train your foot to avoid reaching the kick-down limiter. 100% throttle is achieved before you reach it.

2. Make a little throttle stop (a lot of guys doing this) and stick it behind the pedal.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...sable+Kickdown

Wow. Now this is funny...

You are absolutely right...the 6 speed transmission is generally bulletproof and the idea of "manual shifting" an automatic is not like driving a manual stick.

The manual mode essentially allows you to keep the transmission in certain gears a bit longer or change the shift points a little bit on the fly.

You will find that in manual mode, it will still shift on hard accelerations just like in sport mode, but if you let up in the mid power range, you will still stay in the same gear.

For the 35i, IMO, the best way to drive it is to get the Alpina B3 flash and drive in sport mode. It is a blast to drive. Shifts are quicker and smother than the regular transmission software and much better than a manual. I still like a manual but FWIW, most people do not drive a manual stick well enough to take advantage of some of its characteristics... It is becoming a dinosaur in the production auto world.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 03:32 PM   #40
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

I wish it didn't auto downshift in manual. Sometimes a floor it, wanting the maximal power in the chosen gear (much like I would do if driving a manual tranny)--instead I get a big lurch of the downshift.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 06:40 PM   #41
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Can anyone provide more details on the coding?

I have a cable, but no software (cable drivers, coding software, etc.).

Does he take care of all of that remotely, or do I need everything installed and up and running prior to? Does he provide links to download the software, etc.?

Sorry, while I'm an avid shadetree afraid of nothing mechanical, all of this stuff confuses me.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 07:19 AM   #42
vbbuilt
Private
Rep
Drives: x28i

Did you get the cable from Alpine? Alex provides a cable and a USB stick loaded with software.

Send him an email and he'll work with you via txt msg. He'll work with you every step of the way - you just have to work out schedule.

You'll need a laptop with ready access to the internet. In my case, I parked in front of my condo and accessed by WiFi. Alex will provide a link to view an online video to installing the software onto your laptop. He'll remotely access your laptop and do the install the features you've requested.

I was very pleased with Alex and did everything I wanted.

Vince.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #43
Aerospike
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwickberg View Post
Wow. Now this is funny...

For the 35i, IMO, the best way to drive it is to get the Alpina B3 flash and drive in sport mode. It is a blast to drive. Shifts are quicker and smother than the regular transmission software and much better than a manual.
Waiting on the warranty to expire. a few miles fewer than 40, 000 miles to go.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #44
Monoblock
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Thanks for the great writeup!

Question on doing this on a mac: did you have to install any additional software, or bring up Windows in Parallels or VMWare?
Appreciate 0