XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
x1maniac
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

X1 vs competition

Hey guys, i was just asking if you guys know how the x1 stacks up against other cars... Ive been asked multiple times to drag with a couple of friends cars, do you know if i would beat the? I have a 2013 xdrive 28i, would i beat a 2013 stock audi a4? What about a 2009 c300? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
Tirpitz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328 GT, 2017 i3 REX

The current base A4 has a comparable 0-60 time to a 28i X1. The Mercedes would be a bit slower as it was originally rated around 7 seconds to 60. But driver skill and grip levels (tire wear) will have a huge impact on what happens. Also will matter greatly whether the Audi and Merc are automatics or manuals.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
x1maniac
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirpitz
The current base A4 has a comparable 0-60 time to a 28i X1. The Mercedes would be a bit slower as it was originally rated around 7 seconds to 60. But driver skill and grip levels (tire wear) will have a huge impact on what happens. Also will matter greatly whether the Audi and Merc are automatics or manuals.
Theyre both automatic, when it comes down to it, i am much more experienced using the 8-speed than they are, they want to put money down, so considering i am a better driver than they are, you think i should go for it?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

First, stick to a track, it's the only legal way race side by side, and besides that it gives you a better chance and here is why.

The Merc is pretty much out except for driver reaction time which can be made up in a 1/4 mile time even if you're a second late on the gas.

The A4 is reported to run the 1/4 in 15.7 @ 88
The X1 28 is reported to run the 1/4 in 15.0 @ 90.

I also wouldn't trust either of these numbers because every BMW and Audi engines vary in performance. It's a whole other subject on why but in short, they do. The driver can also matter, though in an automatic it's less likely but everything from track surface and weather conditions to items in the car and a 150lb vs 300lb driver can effect results by a half second and we have no specifics with those times, and besides, they're car reviews and that gives them even less credit IMO.

Looking at the enginen specs, the A4 is 210hp 258lb/tq and the X1 28 is 240hp 260lb/tq. This means it's probable that the longer the run, the better off you'll be with a little more HP (if it's there on your engine) but an X1 has a higher drag coefficient than the A4 so that's a downside at higher speeds.

The X1 28 N20 engine has a wider power band than the A4's 2t (My wifes last two cars have had the 2T and I know that engine well) and the X1 28s ZF 8HP transmission shifts faster and will give you better use of the N20's power band. The X1 28 would actually have a bit faster 0-60 on paper except that it has to switch to third around 56MPH which hurts the time a bit while the audi will still be in second at 60mph, but it switches to third probably around 67 if I'm remembering correctly.

I don't think Quatro vs xDrive will play a whole lot into things, if anything I believe the xDrive loses a little less hp to the wheels but I've never seen actual numbers -- this is somewhat related to why quattro will do better in some snow/traction conditions than an xDrive bmw just fyi.

I can think of 5 factors though that could win or lose you the race, only one of which you can control. It's probable that you'd win.

Let us know how things go, but go to a track please.

EDIT: Just got thinking and checked, the 2013 A4 does have the same ZF 8HP transmission as the X1 28, so throw out my comment about when the A4 shifts, it will be a bit closer in that area. Also, I believe there are reports that not manually shifting the paddles to switch gears results in faster acceleration. I'd recommend you read up on the ZF 8HP transmission though.

Last edited by edx1; 11-29-2012 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: Added last comment about A4's transmission
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Aw, come on! Drag racing grocery getters?!?! What's next, riding lawn mowers? Oh, wait a minute...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

The Audi has the engine waaay in front of the frontaxle... Guess what hapens when you corner it instead of doing trafficlight sprints.
And the Audi A4 looks like the A1 And the A3 And the A3 sportback And the A5. and the A5 sportback... And the A6. And the A7. And the A8. And the Q3, Q5, Q7, R8, all the S models and all the RS models. THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME.
If you want an Audi, just buy an Seat or a Skoda, same cars, waay cheaper. (or just VW when you're in the states)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B. View Post
Aw, come on! Drag racing grocery getters?!?! What's next, riding lawn mowers? Oh, wait a minute...
I'm all for that! How about this?

http://bringyourownbigwheel.com/
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
3Bims
Private
Rep
Drives: XXX

I don't get the sport in drag racing an x1 or an A4. Neither of those cars was designed for it, they are not sport cars, and they are not 1/4 mile killers. They are great cars for driving around. I'd feel different if you did mods to your car...that's something you built not something you bought from BMW and just stepped on the accelerator. On the other hand, i do appreciate drags of true sport cars or true big hp cars, just because they are so ridiculously fast. Just my opinion. In any case, be safe, first and foremost.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
3Bims
Private
Rep
Drives: XXX

edx1: can you explain in a little more detail the comment about quattro doing better in certain snow/ traction conditions than xdrives? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #10
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

The N20 engine in the BMW is also underrated (check out the F30 boards for more details).

Additionally, most of the grunt in the A4 engine is down low so I (based on my experience) find that it tends to lose steam as the speed rises. The transmission programming (in the 6speed at least) is not the most aggressive either in the Audi, even in S mode.
Appreciate 0