XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-20-2016, 08:24 PM   #1
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

My front right tire's outer edge tread issue

Just had a quick check on my tires yesterday and found that my front right tire's outer edges are getting chewed up quite dramatically than others. The tread on the edges have flattened out completely and the tread cuts have disappeared.

I had puncture on this side when my X1 had done 6K km so it was replaced with the new one. However, the new one was put in the front left side and the old one there was put in the front right side. So, it has now done 31K km while the front left has done around 25K.

Besides, the front right camber is also tiny bit positive while the front left is on the negative side. I haven't check the inner edges. Will do that today and update here. So, I was thinking of may be swapping the front wheels to even out the wearing. So, was wondering if I can just swap the wheels or there's more to it than just swapping like wheel balancing etc.. Any suggestions would be awesome Thanks

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 12:05 AM   #2
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

As long as the wheels aren't directional there shouldn't be any issues (look for arrows indicating direction if rotation). Keep in mind though that your tires are no longer "safe" and that you really need to get alignment done or your next set of tires will do the same thing. At least that's my understanding of your issue
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 01:17 AM   #3
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstolpner View Post
As long as the wheels aren't directional there shouldn't be any issues (look for arrows indicating direction if rotation). Keep in mind though that your tires are no longer "safe" and that you really need to get alignment done or your next set of tires will do the same thing. At least that's my understanding of your issue
It's a staggered setup so I don't think it's meant for rotation. There's nothing I can do with the alignment as the X1 front axle only supports toe alignment

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 05:14 AM   #4
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

it's more than 1mm wear top one is inner edge and the bottom one is the outer.
Attached Images

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 11:25 PM   #5
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

It's hard to tell this way (for me anyway). Try taking a photo of the whole tire edge to edge, and maybe the penny/quarter trick to measure tread depth
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 06:35 PM   #6
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

here are the pics of the whole wheel..

front right (driver side) - top and front left (passenger side) - bottom
Attached Images

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 08:24 PM   #7
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
There's nothing I can do with the alignment as the X1 front axle only supports toe alignment
What? Umm...yeah...you can get the toe aligned.

Camber doesn't cause that wear. It's a toe issue, if there's any issue at all. Besides a potential tow issue...do you drive the car hard? If you do, that wear could simply be outside shoulder wear from hard cornering without enough negative camber. If the toe is fine, without adding more negative camber, there's nothing you can do but corner slower to even out the wear.

And you can actually pull the pin on your strut hat and change camber slightly...although again, that's not the issue.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 08:29 PM   #8
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstolpner View Post
His tires are no longer safe?

Where do you people get this stuff?
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 06:23 AM   #9
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
There's nothing I can do with the alignment as the X1 front axle only supports toe alignment
What? Umm...yeah...you can get the toe aligned.

Camber doesn't cause that wear. It's a toe issue, if there's any issue at all. Besides a potential tow issue...do you drive the car hard? If you do, that wear could simply be outside shoulder wear from hard cornering without enough negative camber. If the toe is fine, without adding more negative camber, there's nothing you can do but corner slower to even out the wear.

And you can actually pull the pin on your strut hat and change camber slightly...although again, that's not the issue.
ya I'm no expert in anything that's got to do with cars and no way experienced. So did a fair bit of online search and from what I read online they all pointed to positive camber and excessive toe-in for outer edge wear. I did alignment around 3 mths ago coz I've hit curb few too many times . I didn't check the tires then so not sure if it was already present then. Toe in the front wheels are 0.8 & 0.7mm on left and right respectively now. Before they were -0.5 & 0.1mm. Camber has remained the same - negative (-00°36') on the left and positive (00°25') on the right. Hence I was guessing camber as the culprit.

You are right. I do like to corner but not sure if I do them that hard or that often. So I guess, like you said, it's the combination of camber and the cornering - cornering without enough negative camber.

Now that brings us to the strut pin you mentioned. I have seen it done but like I said I'm no expert nor have any experience. So please bear with me I have been told by this place that does the alignment that camber can't be adjusted at all. They are the mechanics so I can't tell them sth I'm not sure about myself. So, doesn't this affect the car or the strut tower or the suspension in any way or the warranty for that matter?

BTW, I went to them again today and asked for their suggestion and also asked if it's alright to swap the front wheels. The guy suggested that the front left tire wears faster (RHD here) so putting the worn tire there would make it even worse. Also changing new tire on just one side could create drag on one side. So he advised to wait for 2 or so mths and change both tires in the front.

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 03:49 PM   #10
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
His tires are no longer safe?

Where do you people get this stuff?
Based on the description I thought it was bald (as in past the wear indicator - making the tires illegal in many places)
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 09:02 AM   #11
E30_Crazy
Rep
Drives: 2014 X-Line 35i

This was my front left after less than a year. Camber was way out, from factory. BMW still made me pay for the alignment.

Last edited by E30_Crazy; 01-28-2016 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 05:05 PM   #12
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30_Crazy
This was my front left after less than a year. Camber was way out, from factory. BMW still made me pay for the alignment.

wow that's crazy given that it was not even a year. How many miles though? did they actually fix the front camber or just the toe? what was your camber n toe and what are they now after the alignment?

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 09:12 AM   #13
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Any change in tow will also affect camber. Set toe first then measure camber. If camber if off something is likely damaged and needs replacing.
Appreciate 0