Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

03-31-2022, 12:38 PM   #1
Chicone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X35i M-SPORT

New Water pump- 57K

I know there is no news here with all the water pump trouble I've read about in the forum. Is 57K about right or a little early? I'm just looking for a little sympathy with the hood I guess, LOL. I knew it was going down a couple of weeks ago when the fan started coming on at idle. I made the appointment then and the car overheated on me a couple days ago. I didn't drive it again until I went to BMW Seattle this morning.
I think I'll need to close my eyes when I sign the credit card slip. OMG

2015 BMW X1 35i MSport // BMS Intake
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 03:04 PM   #2
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i xDrive 2013

My water pump went around the same mileage too. You're not alone!
      03-31-2022, 03:59 PM   #3
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Same here!
Appreciate 1
Chicone28.00
      04-01-2022, 11:44 AM   #4
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Mine went out in the 60k's.

There was a HUGE class action lawsuit about this. Everyone who did the repair themselves got absolutely screwed. There's been nothing in the aftermarket world to fix it, so plan to pre emptively do it again in another 50k miles.

Between the Water Pump scandal and BMW screwing all their Connected Drive Customers that own cars pre 2017, I'll never buy another BMW.

You're probably looking at a $1300 repair.
Appreciate 1
Chicone28.00
      04-02-2022, 10:10 AM   #5
Chicone
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpAndCunning View Post
Mine went out in the 60k's.

There was a HUGE class action lawsuit about this. Everyone who did the repair themselves got absolutely screwed. There's been nothing in the aftermarket world to fix it, so plan to pre emptively do it again in another 50k miles.

Between the Water Pump scandal and BMW screwing all their Connected Drive Customers that own cars pre 2017, I'll never buy another BMW.

You're probably looking at a $1300 repair.
It was more. Pump and T-stat were replaced, coolant flushed. Unrelated - had brakes flushed and oil changed. You add WA state 10.25% sales tax to all that and my baby is back for $3K.

You hit a note on the connected drive thing with me too. I love my 35i to death anyway. I could probably sell it for the same as I bought it for in 2018 but then what to you do? The car market is insane.

Ramen is delicious. I’m tapping into my emergency fund.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 01:29 PM   #6
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicone View Post
It was more. Pump and T-stat were replaced, coolant flushed. Unrelated - had brakes flushed and oil changed. You add WA state 10.25% sales tax to all that and my baby is back for $3K.

You hit a note on the connected drive thing with me too. I love my 35i to death anyway. I could probably sell it for the same as I bought it for in 2018 but then what to you do? The car market is insane.

Ramen is delicious. I’m tapping into my emergency fund.
I wouldn't have replaced the thermostat. I didn't when my pump shi* the bed. Maybe I got lucky. If it was under warranty, different story. I did the pump myself, in the garage on ramps/jack stands, it's a giant pain in the ass. I don't want to do it again, unless I have a lift.

The car market is insane. And I'm not sure what I would replace it with. There's not a lot of 300hp vehicles in that size. But I also don't want to spend $8000 on a car just to keep driving it, you know?

The Msport is a really nice car, I might feel differently if mine were an Msport. Or if I had the red Coral seats. :,)

The connected drive thing, I really hope it turns into another Class Action Lawsuit. BMW as a company literally gave the finger to probably 100,000 customers.

Last edited by SharpAndCunning; 04-02-2022 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
Chicone28.00
      04-10-2022, 05:54 PM   #7
Chicone
Private First Class
Rep

I found the water pump class action today in my documents. Warranty was extended to 7 years and 84,000 miles. I missed the time cutoff by 3 months.

https://electriccoolantpumpsettlement.com

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 03:14 PM   #8
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Noticing that the posters here with WP issues all own 35i. Is it because the WP is close the turbo? Therefore heat is exacerbating the issue?
Also how big of a job is to DIY?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 06:48 PM   #9
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
Noticing that the posters here with WP issues all own 35i. Is it because the WP is close the turbo? Therefore heat is exacerbating the issue?
Curious as well. I bought a replacement WP and T-stat to pre-emptively replace them since I'm at 84k miles. I get that the xDrive models have pess access due to thicker/wider underbody support but is it really that bad?
      04-12-2022, 08:38 AM   #10
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicone View Post
I found the water pump class action today in my documents. Warranty was extended to 7 years and 84,000 miles. I missed the time cutoff by 3 months.

https://electriccoolantpumpsettlement.com

I missed it by 6 months, I feel your pain. I ended up doing it myself, over the winter on the ground. It wasn't fun.

The thought of having to do it again in 30k more miles makes me want to dump the car. but I'm not sure what I would replace it with, ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
Ovalbore on youtube has a video how to. If you have a lift, even a low lift one, it's 10X easier.

Not sure if anyone knows, but is there an aftermarket pump that is better than the OEM one? I know you can get a Pierberg pump, VDO, and I thought a Mahle pump.

Last edited by SharpAndCunning; 04-12-2022 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 01:42 AM   #11
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep

Quote:
I missed it by 6 months, I feel your pain. I ended up doing it myself, over the winter on the ground. It wasn't fun.

The thought of having to do it again in 30k more miles makes me want to dump the car. but I'm not sure what I would replace it with, ha.

Ovalbore on youtube has a video how to. If you have a lift, even a low lift one, it's 10X easier.

Not sure if anyone knows, but is there an aftermarket pump that is better than the OEM one? I know you can get a Pierberg pump, VDO, and I thought a Mahle pump.
I don't have too many diy's under my belt and I couldn't imagine doing it on the ground again either. Definitely the longest and most frustrating diy I've done and I gained a new appreciation for mechanics and avid diy'ers. Am I glad I did it? yes. Will I ever do it again? not unless I had a lift.

Unless a new part has come out in the last year, I think they're all relatively similar. There was one that had an all metal housing, but still had a plastic impeller and electric motor with the same susceptibility to failure.
      04-13-2022, 10:37 AM   #12
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsleeper View Post
I don't have too many diy's under my belt and I couldn't imagine doing it on the ground again either. Definitely the longest and most frustrating diy I've done and I gained a new appreciation for mechanics and avid diy'ers. Am I glad I did it? yes. Will I ever do it again? not unless I had a lift.

Unless a new part has come out in the last year, I think they're all relatively similar. There was one that had an all metal housing, but still had a plastic impeller and electric motor with the same susceptibility to failure.
I'm assuming that, by "on the ground", you mean up on jack stands? If so, I take it that the 2-ish feet of ground clearance isn't enough to make the job more manageable?
      04-13-2022, 12:42 PM   #13
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Genuinely just curious. How long did it take you? Did you replace the thermostat at the same time?

My OEM one was metal exterior, as was the replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
I'm assuming that, by "on the ground", you mean up on jack stands? If so, I take it that the 2-ish feet of ground clearance isn't enough to make the job more manageable?
I don't know what kind of jack stands you have, but the 12 - 14" of clearance I had was enough to get it done but it took a lot of acrobatics getting the pump out and moving around so my arms would fit, etc. If you could actually get the car 2' actually off the ground it would make it a lot easier. Still a pain, but better.
Appreciate 1
bosstones1154.00
      04-13-2022, 08:25 PM   #14
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I don't know what kind of jack stands you have, but the 12 - 14" of clearance I had was enough to get it done but it took a lot of acrobatics getting the pump out and moving around so my arms would fit, etc. If you could actually get the car 2' actually off the ground it would make it a lot easier. Still a pain, but better.
ESCO 10498 jack stands off Amazon. Max height is ~21". I like them better than my old Craftsman ones, but I recently switched to Quick Jack. It's not as good as a full up lift but it's a good in-between solution for the $ and still eliminates the shenanigans needed to get my Moupe jacked up.
      04-14-2022, 12:34 AM   #15
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep

Quote:
Genuinely just curious. How long did it take you? Did you replace the thermostat at the same time?

My OEM one was metal exterior, as was the replacement.

oh yeah now that i think about it they are all metal on the outside (or wait are they half metal half plastic?), I replaced with a VDO water pump, BMW Genuine thermostat, and also one of the tubing connecting the water pump to the thermostat buying from FCP Euro and Pelican Parts.

I wouldn't be surprised if I hold the world record for the longest DIY water pump replacement job on the X1 35i. It took me a straight 14 hours with some breaks for water/snacks and reviewing YouTube DIYs. I also followed that same YouTube video that you mentioned in your other post and made sure to position the clamps and bolts to their original position for the future water pump job. I'm pretty slow when it comes to DIYs in general, combination of fear/hesitancy to use too much force in break plastic bits and lack of experience (most jobs are firsts for me). For reference plugs/coils took me about 4/5 hours the first time, but 2nd time took 2/3 hours. I'm sure if I had to do the water pump again I could cut it down a few hours, but I can't see myself doing the water pump on jack stands ever again. Maybe if get a few more DIYs under my belt before the water pump goes again I'll have some gained experience/confidence to tackle it on jack stands again. It was definitely a wake up call that made me question whether the DIY life was worth for me.

Last edited by solidsleeper; 04-14-2022 at 12:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 12:43 AM   #16
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
correct jack stands. I wouldn't consider myself a true DIYer so it may not be as bad as I make it out to be.
      04-15-2022, 09:18 AM   #17
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
correct jack stands. I wouldn't consider myself a true DIYer so it may not be as bad as I make it out to be.
I didn't grow up working on cars so I'm learning as I go. I'm in the middle of replacing the OFHG part of my OFHG+VCG project but also bought new upper/lower radiator hoses, expansion tank, tstat, and water pump since I might as well do those in the near future (I'm at 84k miles). I'm kind of at that cross road of doing the water pump and tstat since I need to drain coolant anyways.
      04-15-2022, 11:06 PM   #18
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
oh yeah now that i think about it they are all metal on the outside (or wait are they half metal half plastic?), I replaced with a VDO water pump, BMW Genuine thermostat, and also one of the tubing connecting the water pump to the thermostat buying from FCP Euro and Pelican Parts.

I wouldn't be surprised if I hold the world record for the longest DIY water pump replacement job on the X1 35i. It took me a straight 14 hours with some breaks for water/snacks and reviewing YouTube DIYs. I also followed that same YouTube video that you mentioned in your other post and made sure to position the clamps and bolts to their original position for the future water pump job. I'm pretty slow when it comes to DIYs in general, combination of fear/hesitancy to use too much force in break plastic bits and lack of experience (most jobs are firsts for me). For reference plugs/coils took me about 4/5 hours the first time, but 2nd time took 2/3 hours. I'm sure if I had to do the water pump again I could cut it down a few hours, but I can't see myself doing the water pump on jack stands ever again. Maybe if get a few more DIYs under my belt before the water pump goes again I'll have some gained experience/confidence to tackle it on jack stands again. It was definitely a wake up call that made me question whether the DIY life was worth for me.
How the helll did you get to the thermostat on jack stands? I ended up returning the thermostat because there was no way I was going to be able to get that top clamp off to release it.

I've swapped engines, transmissions, and a lot of parts in my life, and the BMW water pump was up there among the most frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 02:26 AM   #19
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep

Quote:
How the helll did you get to the thermostat on jack stands? I ended up returning the thermostat because there was no way I was going to be able to get that top clamp off to release it.

I've swapped engines, transmissions, and a lot of parts in my life, and the BMW water pump was up there among the most frustrating.
lmao well I did say it took me 12-14 hours. I'm not sure if it's the same clamp you're talking about, but I do remember one clamp approaching from the rear end was terrible using a socket swivel and extension and trying to flop the swivel onto the clamp nut while maybe jamming my forearm into whatever space was left to help the nut on. I probably poked around at it for a good hour and I just remember feeling so defeated, but somehow as my morale was getting lower and lower the socket finally got on that clamp. Maybe my small hands helped. I remember at many points during the whole process I was jamming my forearm into many openings at all different angles lol.
      04-30-2022, 02:33 PM   #20
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
lmao well I did say it took me 12-14 hours. I'm not sure if it's the same clamp you're talking about, but I do remember one clamp approaching from the rear end was terrible using a socket swivel and extension and trying to flop the swivel onto the clamp nut while maybe jamming my forearm into whatever space was left to help the nut on. I probably poked around at it for a good hour and I just remember feeling so defeated, but somehow as my morale was getting lower and lower the socket finally got on that clamp. Maybe my small hands helped. I remember at many points during the whole process I was jamming my forearm into many openings at all different angles lol.

Yeah, realistically, mine probably took me about that too, but I had to go get the new bump and it was 90 minutes each way to get it from FCP Euro, and then cleaning up in the garage.

Yes, I remember exactly the same thing. I loathe the thought of having to do it again in 25k-30k miles.
Appreciate 0