Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

11-10-2021, 07:54 AM   #1
healeydays
Private
Rep
Drives: 2001 Z3 3.0 --- 2014 X1 35i

digital speedometer?

Hi,

Does anyone have a picture of a stock digital speedo in their X1? I'm trying to decide if it's worth adding to my coding list for my 2014 X1 35i Msport.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 09:47 AM   #2
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

I put Scangauge II on shelf under gauges. Much easier to read speed, coolant temp, voltage, and mpg. Lots of other parameters. Speed can be corrected.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 10:10 AM   #3
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

I coded it on and am a big fan. Unlike on other E-series cars with an auto, on the X1, you don't lose any lines either like the odometer or trip odometer. It also remembers it and stays on/active upon the next startup, unlike other BMW's where you have to scroll through the BC stalk each time on startup to pull it up. So, I highly recommend it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 08:43 AM   #4
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

This is really interesting. With how I adjust my seat and steering wheel, the top of my steering wheel cuts off my view of the top of the speedometer, so anything over about 40 mph I can't see unless I drop my head down. This mod would totally alleviate that.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 08:50 AM   #5
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

What's a speedometer? Is that important?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 08:39 AM   #6
healeydays
Private
Rep
Drives: 2001 Z3 3.0 --- 2014 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
This is really interesting. With how I adjust my seat and steering wheel, the top of my steering wheel cuts off my view of the top of the speedometer, so anything over about 40 mph I can't see unless I drop my head down. This mod would totally alleviate that.
It's the other way for me. I can't see the bottom, so the digital speedo won't work for me I guess...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 12:33 PM   #7
aloyouis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 x28 MSport

I have done the exact same.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 12:34 PM   #8
aloyouis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 x28 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
I coded it on and am a big fan. Unlike on other E-series cars with an auto, on the X1, you don't lose any lines either like the odometer or trip odometer. It also remembers it and stays on/active upon the next startup, unlike other BMW's where you have to scroll through the BC stalk each time on startup to pull it up. So, I highly recommend it.
I have done the same exact thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 03:41 PM   #9
C0D3M4N
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4, 2014 BMW X1

can this be done with the bimmercode app?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 12:15 PM   #10
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0D3M4N View Post
can this be done with the bimmercode app?
I'm pretty sure it's in there. It's one of the most common and basic options on any coding utility, so I'm fairly confident every single one has it. Plus, I nearly got bimmercode back in the day and am pretty sure I remember seeing it there.

The good thing too is you don't need to use it if you don't want to, it just merely unlocks it as another thing to have up as active in your display when you cycle through the BC stalk things (distance to empty, overall mpg, instantaneous mpg, then speedo).
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 07:03 PM   #11
5mall5nail5
Not stock
United_States
Rep
Drives: E34 525i Turbo

Quote:
Can you code this with bimmercode? Are E84 compatible now?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 07:11 PM   #12
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
Can you code this with bimmercode? Are E84 compatible now?
I haven't used bimmercode, so I'm not sure. I used ProTool by BimmerGeeks a few years ago on a few cars to do it though. I'm pretty sure that almost any coding tool that works on these cars should have that in there as it's a really basic, standard thing to be able to code on.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 08:03 PM   #13
j4bartel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloyouis View Post
I have done the exact same.

I’m in Michigan also. You interested in coding another for a fee? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 07:43 AM   #14
NeiL010204
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 2015 XDRIVE 28i

I have used Bimmercode for the Digital Speedometer,my apology just need to ask,where do I go in the bimmerode menu to be able to do coding for "all doors open/unlock upon engine stop",really a pain when you go out of the car then getting your stuff rear seat but forgot to pish unlock button.Also what other basic coding recommended for e84 using bimmercode.I will try to do a search on these Forums.
      02-17-2022, 11:47 PM   #15
orca4wd
Private
Rep
Drives: X1, Z3M

Quote:

I notice your gauge has a water/oil temp instead of a stupid mileage reading. Do you have a X1? What is the year and model? I have 2014 bmw x1 xdrive28i and interest to know if it can convert straight over with a water or oil gauge? Anyone has knowledge on the wirings?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 05:39 AM   #16
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca4wd View Post
I notice your gauge has a water/oil temp instead of a stupid mileage reading. Do you have a X1? What is the year and model? I have 2014 bmw x1 xdrive28i and interest to know if it can convert straight over with a water or oil gauge? Anyone has knowledge on the wirings?
The right, analog display has an oil temp dial below the tach.

The digital display between the 2 gauges shows ambient/outdoor temp.

Both are stock and I don't see anything different that my stock, uncoded 2014 X1 doesn't have aside from the digital speedo. Mine is a 35i so I'm not sure if the 28i had a different gauge pod (or which gregthegr8 has).
      02-18-2022, 10:08 AM   #17
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Mine is a normal '14 X1 35i, stock gauges. I think the 28i's have mpg on the lower right though instead of oil temp.

I think there have been some people on the various forums though from back in the day who have swapped clusters or something for this very reason either on e9X 28's or on 128i's retrofitting 135i clusters. So I think it's doable, may just be a pain.

Here's one such thread:
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1462928
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 05:50 PM   #18
05X3lover
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 Dark Gray X1 AWD

If I could ask, is it likely the independent shop that maintains our X1 could add that MPH display using one of their scan tools? TIA.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 10:21 PM   #19
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

I don't know if an indy shop would or could do it or if it makes sense based on a shop's hourly rate, which is likely more than it may cost for you to buy an OBD2 device and app to just do yourself among other things. Or you may just want to find some local members who have some coding stuff to quickly do it for you.

You could ask though, should be like a quick 5 minute thing to enable for someone with the right equipment, app, or what have you.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 07:43 PM   #20
05X3lover
Private
Rep

Quote:
I don't know if an indy shop would or could do it or if it makes sense based on a shop's hourly rate, which is likely more than it may cost for you to buy an OBD2 device and app to just do yourself among other things. Or you may just want to find some local members who have some coding stuff to quickly do it for you.

You could ask though, should be like a quick 5 minute thing to enable for someone with the right equipment, app, or what have you.
Thanks, I appreciate the info. The shop we use I think would be willing to do this if it only takes a few mins. Definitely agree it's not worth doing if the shop charges an hour labor, haha. I'll update this thread once we get it done, though will still be a few weeks away.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 08:47 PM   #21
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05X3lover View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the info. The shop we use I think would be willing to do this if it only takes a few mins. Definitely agree it's not worth doing if the shop charges an hour labor, haha. I'll update this thread once we get it done, though will still be a few weeks away.
Let us know. It's such a stupid, semi-pointless thing to have the digital speedo and yet once you have it, it's hard to imagine life without it. And as I think I said in an earlier post, the good thing about this, compared to some other e-chassis cars is that once you scroll through the bc stalk and have the digital speedo up as active, it will stay active and be up and running on your next start up unless and until you scroll through to something else. On other cars, every time the car restarts, it's not active and you have to hit the BC button to pull up. I think that's because on other cars, it can take over the space where the odometer is, but on the X1, it's a separate line item in the section above. It's nice to see just how far over the speed limit I am. =)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 07:09 PM   #22
05X3lover
Private
Rep

Quote:
Let us know. It's such a stupid, semi-pointless thing to have the digital speedo and yet once you have it, it's hard to imagine life without it. And as I think I said in an earlier post, the good thing about this, compared to some other e-chassis cars is that once you scroll through the bc stalk and have the digital speedo up as active, it will stay active and be up and running on your next start up unless and until you scroll through to something else. On other cars, every time the car restarts, it's not active and you have to hit the BC button to pull up. I think that's because on other cars, it can take over the space where the odometer is, but on the X1, it's a separate line item in the section above. It's nice to see just how far over the speed limit I am. =)
Appreciate 0