XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

11-24-2020, 10:52 AM   #1
lanczos
Rep
Drives: X1 35i, Touareg TDI, 928

New owner and Mk6 Golf R comparison

Hello everyone, just purchased this E84 X1 and wanted to give some initial impressions and comparisons to my previous daily driver, the Mk6 Golf R. This car is a 2015 X1 35i with 13,800 miles in like-new condition, both interior and exterior, except for the original RFT front tires which are (curiously?) far more worn especially on the outer edges than the rears. Maybe these were never rotated; this is a square setup on the 322 wheels. Will likely move to non-RFT tires in the future. Packages: xLine, premium, tech, driver assistance, and heated seats (but not cold weather, so no heated steering wheel).

The main reason for purchasing this vehicle is that my wife has a disdain for driving manual transmission vehicles, so we were looking for a Golf R replacement with an automatic transmission, fun to drive ("drives like a car not an SUV"), AWD, practical car. This will be a ski car, dog car, stand-up paddleboard car, etc. We have one 9-year child. What we really wanted was an AWD fun-to-drive wagon. Maybe a 3-series wagon or Audi Allroad, even considered a Mk7 DSG Golf R. But in the end (low-mileage) examples of these were more expensive than the X1, and this one with the N55 was too nice to pass up.

Impressions:

Fit and finish: All of the Golf touch points are nicer in shape and materials: steering wheel, seats (to be fair I don't have the X1 sport seats), shifter, and pedals. The controls have nicer action. The leather is softer. The Golf soft touch materials on the dash and upper door cards are softer, the doors close with a more solid thud, there are felt liners in the door pockets so stuff doesn't rattle around. The X1 doors seals creak a bit as you're driving. The Golf is the clear winner here.

Features: The Mk6 Golf R and E84 X1 are similar in age and generation; The X1 navi screen is bigger. But where are the rear climate vents? The Golf has them, all the X1 has are heater vents under the seats. Seems like a curious omission. X1 has parking sensors, Golf has better sound system. Overall the technology is similar. Call this a wash.

Styling: I'm not a big fan of the X1 styling, but this is subjective. At least it's not a tall SUV. The style 322 wheels do look nicer than the VW Talledega's.

Practicality: Golf second row has more legroom. X1 has a bit more room in the cargo area, but not tremendously so. But no space for a space saver spare is disappointing. X1 has more ground clearance which will be useful in deeper snow. Definitely appreciate the X1 roof rails.

Driving Impressions: First and foremost is the X1 steering, it's awesome. Communicative and direct with just the right amount of assist. The X1 chassis is also very very good. Ride is firm but not harsh. The Golf has a much shorter wheelbase and it shows. Drives more like a go-cart and almost twitchy in comparison. Of course the X1 is RWD-based and the Golf is FWD-based, and the Golf pushes more into corners. No surprise there. The N55 pulls hard and very linearly; the Golf EA113 is peakier and you have to rev it. The Golf feels faster but I'm not sure it is. The Golf is 400-500 pounds lighter and more tossable, but the X1 feels more stable and direct. I prefer the X1 RWD dynamics, but maybe I'm just getting old.

Value: Well the X1 certainly doesn't hold it's value like the Golf R; good for the buyer, bad for the seller. I guess we'll see how the reliability goes; I haven't had any non-scheduled issues with the Golf in 8 years of ownership.

Summary: In the end the E84 X1 is a better fit for our needs, and I prefer the driving dynamics. But the Mk6 Golf R is a very good/fun car, and it definitely meets and in many cases exceeds the fit and finish of the X1.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 12:50 AM   #2
sudermatt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35M

Thanks for this thoughtful and comprehensive comparison.

I've owned 2 x1s . My current x1 is an xline sport line so it has the better seats. They make all the difference in the corners, though I do miss the lumbar.

Its all subjective, but this is the best all around car I have owned, and I've owned over 20 cars in my long life. It just checks every box.

Welcome. I hope you get years of happy use.
Appreciate 0