Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #23
BlackJackel
Private
Rep
Drives: Black X1 35i, Dinan stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B. View Post
I've been driving an M3 for the last few days while my sport bike is having some warranty work performed. Overall I'm not impressed with the M3. The front end is ridiculously heavy; I can't get the front wheels off the ground even if I pop the clutch. Steering is vague and stability at triple digit speed is questionable when trying to lane split. I really expected more from this vehicle and given all of its negatives the price BMW is asking is laughable.

Side note: loaner has ~3K miles on it and shows an average of 17.5mpg. Not great considering the sport bike averages 40.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #24
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Carbon View Post
I've been driving an X1 for the last few days while my M is having some warranty work performed. Overall I'm not impressed with the X1. Seats are an abomination, auto start/stop might be the worst thing BMW has ever put in a car, steering is vague and stability at speed is questionable. I really expected more from this vehicle and given all of its negatives the price BMW is asking is laughable.

Side note: loaner has ~3K miles on it and shows an average of 20mpg with the 2.8i. Not great considering the M averages 17.5.
WOW...without a doubt, the most ignorant post I've seen here since...uh, forever.
FWIW, I'd take an E30 M3 over the E90 M3 any day.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #25
Vertigo//SD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i (temporarily)

My previous three cars were a 2003 M3 coupe, 2007 M coupe and 2007 M roadster. I think the X1 is perfectly fine for what it is and will suit me just fine until a M2 or M235i.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #26
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo//SD View Post
...until a M2 or M235i.
not considering the M4???
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #27
eric9610
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Telsa Model YLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
"The guys with X drive are so jealous when the S drive blow by them so they have to resort to the hydraulic steering argument. I drive a E93 and don't feel much difference and yes my 335 will beat your X1 35's 0-60. If I wanted X drive I would have bought X drive. I prefer lighter and better handling, faster S drive.
your Joking right??? All the xDrive owners could afford a loaded sDrive but choose not to..... xdrive can out handle a non xdrive on any surface, fact.
2021 MYLR (c), 2016 MB E350 (c),2018 MB E300 (r), 2019 AMG GT63s 4D (r),2018 MB E63S (r), 2018 911T (r), 2014 X5M (r), 2013 X1 35i (r),2011 M3 (r), 2010 328i (r), 2008 M3 (r),2005 330ci (r), 2004 Lotus Elise (r), 2004 X3 (r),2002 330ci (r), 2002 Hummer (r), 2002 MB G500(r), 2000 Z8 (r), 2000 323cic (r)
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #28
EpistemicConfusion
Likes Cars
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

I realize everyone is very proud of their car, and everyone chose the vehicle they did for a variety of reasons known only to themselves.

But - we really don't need to judge other car owners choices. You are not a better person, a better car person, a wealthier person, or whatever because of the car you drive. So how about we all take a deep breath, realize that we share a mutual enthusiasm for BMW's and move along?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #29
Vertigo//SD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i (temporarily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
not considering the M4???
Not at this point. I prefer smaller and I think the 2 Series is in the realm, in terms of size, to the E46. I turned down a 1M allocation in 2011... stupid, stupid, stupid me.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #30
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo//SD View Post
I turned down a 1M allocation in 2011... stupid, stupid, stupid me.
You're not alone, if that helps. I very nearly traded my wife's 135i for one and still kick myself for not doing that.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #31
Chris Pringle
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
To be fair, I was actually looking forward to driving the X1 given some of the more positive reviews by the press after its launch. The X1 was also on my radar lately because I have been considering picking up a wagon as a DD to keep miles off the M. Regardless, I can see how most would think I am directly comparing the two models. Quite the opposite in fact. I was purely looking at the X1 as a total package, and frankly expected more from BMW. One poster mentioned the sport seats offer much better support. I would be interested to try these as the standard seats are my main point of contention.
Hi M3Carbon,

I understand you haven't started to shop around. As others have pointed out, it isn't fair at all to compare the X1 with your M3 in any respect. Maybe you didn't mean it that way, but your expectations were obviously not adjusted if all you've been driving around is your M3. I believe the reason why so many people, including magazine editors and bloggers, have given the X1 such high marks for driving dynamics is because in the compact SUV/Crossover category, it simply is the best thing out there.

You drove a loaner car that comes pretty much stripped and has been treated for what it is: a loaner! You know how that goes. What you saw isn't typical of the fuel efficiency and the comfort features this car can offer. As you already know being part of the brand, at BMW you do pay extra to accessorize the car to match "your" level of comfort -- whatever that is.

At this time, you owe it to yourself to go outside the brand. Please test-drive a bunch of vehicles in the same class category: Acura RDX, Infiniti EX, Volvo XC60, VW Tiguan, Audi Q5, Mazda CX5, Subaru Outback, Mini Countryman and even the BMW X3. Then come back to the X1 again. Many of these vehicles come standard with AWD while the basic X1 is RWD. Keep that in mind and try to stick to paved roads for fair driving dynamics. I would not be surprised that, even with the most basic RWD X1, that you will change your recent opinion. Also, try the different iterations with different seats, engines, steering (try electric first to compare with other brands), xDrive, etc.

So many magazine/blog reviewers (well, except maybe Consumer Reports) can't be wrong about this vehicle. The X1 offers the most fun while still being utilitarian and the pricing isn't terrible.

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 09-12-2013 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #32
M3Carbon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, AW/FRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle
Quote:
To be fair, I was actually looking forward to driving the X1 given some of the more positive reviews by the press after its launch. The X1 was also on my radar lately because I have been considering picking up a wagon as a DD to keep miles off the M. Regardless, I can see how most would think I am directly comparing the two models. Quite the opposite in fact. I was purely looking at the X1 as a total package, and frankly expected more from BMW. One poster mentioned the sport seats offer much better support. I would be interested to try these as the standard seats are my main point of contention.
Hi M3Carbon,

I understand you haven't started to shop around. As others have pointed out, it isn't fair at all to compare the X1 with your M3 in any respect. Maybe you didn't mean it that way, but your expectations were obviously not adjusted if all you've been driving around is your M3. I believe the reason why so many people, including magazine editors and bloggers, have given the X1 such high marks for driving dynamics is because in the compact SUV/Crossover category, it simply is the best thing out there.

You drove a loaner car that comes pretty much stripped and has been treated for what it is: a loaner! You know how that goes. What you saw isn't typical of the fuel efficiency and the comfort features this car can offer. As you already know being part of the brand, at BMW you do pay extra to accessorize the car to match "your" level of comfort -- whatever that it is.

At this time, you owe it to yourself to go outside the brand. Please test-drive a bunch of vehicles in the same class category: Acura RDX, Infiniti EX, Volvo XC60, VW Tiguan, Audi Q5, Mazda CX5, Subaru Outback, Mini Countryman and even the BMW X3. Then come back to the X1 again. Many of these vehicles come standard with AWD while the basic X1 is RWD. Keep that in mind and try to stick to paved roads for fair driving dynamics. I would not be surprised that, even with the most basic RWD X1, that you will change your recent opinion. Also, try the different iterations with different seats, engines, steering (try electric first to compare with other brands), xDrive, etc.

So many magazine/blog reviewers (well, except maybe Consumer Reports) can't be wrong about this vehicle. The X1 offers the most fun while still being utilitarian and the pricing isn't terrible.
Chris,

Thanks for the insightful response. In retrospect I probably did not frame up my post very well by stating I was an M owner. Perhaps I was skewed by the drastic transition between the two vehicles. I am still interested in driving another one with the options others have mentioned. I agree that a more direct comparison with other segment vehicles will give me a better feel for the X1. I'm also considering older 3 series wagons or even (gulp) an A4 avant. The M is obviously deficient at lugging around my mountain/road bikes so this segment really interests me as a DD.

Thanks!

Instagram @m3carbon
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #33
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

The X1 is basically a lifted E91 wagon. Just drive an xDrive for the familiar hydraulic steering feel. Also, only M Sports have summer tires and the all-season runflats are not great IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #34
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Why not use the M for bikes? Unless you have an E93, you have the little flaps in the roof that the OEM or Thule rack will bolt right into, without touching the paint/carbon. I used my M Coupe as a bike schlepper for a dozen great years.

As a side note, a good friend has an E91 328i and it's got the old, rather poor six speed automatic (not nearly as nice as the ZF one in the X1 35i) and it's not as fun to drive as our X1 with the N55, even though his car is rwd. I've owned a few Audii and wouldn't think you'd enjoy one if you're used to your car and a stripper X1 boring.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #35
EpistemicConfusion
Likes Cars
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

Dynamically the Audi Allroad (replacement for A4 Avant) is a complete snooze-mobile compared to the X1. If one were looking for a more comfortable ride and didn't mind sacrificing involvement - that is what I would recommend.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #36
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I have both (X1 is wife's daily driver) and the two cars are miles apart. They really shouldn't be compared but it's hard not to when you have both. The M3 is close to perfection so everything else is lower on the totem pole. Compared to the competition, there isn't much else out there with better power, transmission, and moderate luxuries around $40k. However, we leased and I'm sad to say I will not miss it at lease end in 2 more years. I only have a few gripes but they're deal breakers for me.

1) E-throttle lag. This is atrocious and I don't know how I missed it on test drives. I will never miss this again when buying a car and I would not buy a BMW again if this is still present.

2) Ride height. Yes it's like a slightly lifted wagon, but I still find that I have to watch the chin on high curb stops and on big dips you can bottom it out. With an SUV type vehicle, you shouldn't have to worry about these things.

3) Interior plastics. Not a major issue but some of them are past generation Subaru grade.

That's it. I also have found that we just want a slightly larger vehicle and I want paddles on all future auto trannys, but those aren't reasons I would give this car up. Positives are excellent acceleration (once the throttle decides to work), fast 8sp transmission, I like the looks, price is right, gas mileage is good on highway only, xDrive works well, and my wife likes it.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #37
leatherpants
Hide Encased Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
1) E-throttle lag. This is atrocious and I don't know how I missed it on test drives. I will never miss this again when buying a car and I would not buy a BMW again if this is still present.
There's an easy fix for this - read about it on this forum. Can't remember the exact procedure but do a search. It's a noticeable improvement.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #38
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherpants View Post
There's an easy fix for this - read about it on this forum. Can't remember the exact procedure but do a search. It's a noticeable improvement.

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=13

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #39
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherpants
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Tried it and no difference and I'm 95% sure I did it right. The "difference" is probably placebo. I want a fix, not an improvement.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #40
forteatwo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 S-Drive

[QUOTE=M3Carbon;14647822]I've been driving an X1 for the last few days while my M is having some warranty work performed. Overall I'm not impressed with the X1. Seats are an abomination, auto start/stop might be the worst thing BMW has ever put in a car, steering is vague and stability at speed is questionable. I really expected more from this vehicle and given all of its negatives the price BMW is asking is laughable.

I just want to throw in my 2 cents worth on the seats. Being 6'4" there are only a handful of smallish cars I fit in. Seats become a critical factor. The basic vinyl seats in my X1 stripper are not bad. There is some reasonable thigh support and they pass the acid test, driving 20 hours at a stretch which I did this summer on a backpacking trip out west, arriving in relative comfort.

They are far better than those in my Toyota, and are at least the equal of those in my prior sedan, a Lexus GS 300. I have no doubt they are inferior in every way to an M.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #41
M3tallicar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

Do yourself a favor and give an X1 35i with the M Sport pkg and flappy paddles a good drive. Have an E90 M3 (have had other Ms as well) and am happy with the X1 35. It has a high but not too high ride height (nice for when I don't want to worry about scraping as with normal or sports car height cars, yet not tall and wallowing like standard SUV) with good steering and road feel, handles well- really rather nimble with little body roll for its class, no stop start, seats have lumbar adjustment etc and I find comfortable, practical without being huge and decent amenities but not so lux that you feel you have to coddle it, and lastly the 6 has good grunt with a gutsy sound.

Edit- Not sure if its been mentioned but if your loaner was an SDrive it had electronic vs hydrolic steering on the X Drives. I also think the servotronic feels different on the 28 vs the 35, perhaps due to programming or weight. 35 also has diff transmission, diff brakes

Last edited by M3tallicar; 09-15-2013 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #42
Bmwdriver22
Rep
Drives: '13 x1 msport

ive driven numerous bmws including many m cars and even though i was not expecting something that amazing i was really impressed when i drove the x1. i bought my x1 35i with the m sport package since it felt pretty good. It is way more ideal for everyday use and i think it definitely handles really well since the grip is phenomenal. i have since changed to wider wheels and added a tune. the car is a blast to drive now since it is pretty sporty.
as others have said, give the 35i a shot and see what you think since there is a big difference in driving feel. i know it seems like i am biased since i own one, but its true that the n55 engine adds a whole different driving feel
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #43
Fedie
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
yes my 335 will beat your X1 35's 0-60.
No it won't

Might beat most of them, but not mine! And there is no sdrive X1 on earth that is faster than my xdrive.

Quote:
The guys with X drive are so jealous when the S drive blow by them so they have to resort to the hydraulic steering argument.
That is a pretty ridiculous statement considering that s drive is cheaper. Every single xdrive owner could have afforded S drive but chose not to get it. Nothing to be jealous about at all. There are no S drive X1's faster than my X drive, and in the winter or in the rain there are no S drive X1's faster than any X drive X1's.
+1 funny when these monkeys compare different car classes. I trade up my E92 FBO for a X1 35 Msport and I'm very happy. Of course there is a difference in power and handling but I can assure you I'm enjoying my soccer mom car.

I wonder what the OP was comparing to, perhaps if he drives a car in the same class will have a better idea.

For example, I drove a Porsche 911 turbo 4s tuned then I when back into my E92 FBO and felt like shit......that's is just nonsense as it is this post
Long gone, Le Mans Blue X1 xdrive35 M-Sport - Alpina TCU flash - HR springs - Catless dp - JB4 ST2 - CAI -- Alpine White 2007 335i E92 - Procede v3 Stg 2/3 custom - VRSP 3" DP - Stett charge + Forge DV - Stett CAI - CXracing IC
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #44
M3Carbon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, AW/FRE

Thanks for all the input fellas! Need to find a 35i M sport to drive now...

Instagram @m3carbon
Appreciate 0