Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
popopine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blk x3 m40eye

Sprint booster review for n20

Hey everyone, i know there are a few threads out there discussing this product but i haven't seen one on the X1 with an 28i, so here goes.

First let me say that I ordered it because after a year of "getting used to" the throttle delay off the line, I was still yearning for the mechanical throttle response my old 86 Ford Country Squire had. I know, it's sad.

So with high hopes i called and ordered a sprint booster. They sent me the same one used for the X3 because it has a similar set up. I got it in 4 days and had it installed in about 10 minutes. (5 spent looking for the right sized Torx bit to take off the pedal).

Now there's been endless debate on forums over whether this product technically does what it says. And frankly, i'm not really interested in the science. What I am interested in is the perception of what it does. Do i perceive the car to be more responsive? To lessen the throttle delay, and be more consistent, predictable and fun when i hit the gas?

The simple answer was yes, yes and yes.

There are 3 modes: stock (off) sport (green) racing (red). While the racing mode got rid of more throttle delay, it made the pedal a little too sensitive for driving around. Hey, i'm trying to keep the wife from looking at the speedometer! Not draw her attention to it!

Anyway, I found sport mode to be a nice compromise. It takes about one third the delay off of my starts and gave me quicker more predictable power access (when hitting the gas going up a hill, for example).

Does the SB make my BMW throttle feel like the one on my old ford squire with the fake wood paneling? Not quite. But it sure does make the car respond more like i think it ought to. And for $300, that's enough for me.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by popopine; 10-05-2013 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 04:49 AM   #2
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

^You're describing my X1 s28i on the track when I'm pushing too hard, and the traction control comes on,then, there's a delay to get back the throttle.

Maybe your delay is something the x drive N20 does, since around town on mine sounds like your racing mode.

I can push the throttle about halfway, and it feels as much power as full throttle.

I can also drive gently at about 40 mph, barely push the throttle, and I see 5 # 's boost on my ScanGauge instantly.

I like to go to the track, but I've never had a car with this much acceleration, and wouldn't change a thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
popopine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Hey, great to hear, i love the cars acceleration too.

I only have a problem with the second or 2 of nothingness when you initially press the petal from a dead stop at a light. The result of the drive-by-wire.

Car drives much better now.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by popopine View Post
I only have a problem with the second or 2 of nothingness when you initially press the petal from a dead stop...
Mine does the exact same thing and I've grown used to it. I don't like it and I wish it were more responsive...but it's not something I can't live without. I'm hoping that a DINAN tune(if that EVER happens) will correct this.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
popopine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I contacted Dinan and they said it was still in development.

Been a while...
Appreciate 0