XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-24-2011, 01:41 AM   #1
ss2010
Rep
Drives: x1

X1 service & run flat tyre pressure

Guys,
Whats the deal with X1 servicing ? When do we know its time for a service ? There doesnt appear to be a service manual as well ?

And run flat tyre pressure ....pressure seems pretty high in the factory ones to what it says in the manual ?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 04:48 AM   #2
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Hello ss2010,

Those questions could be easily answered by your dealer...

The onboard computer informs you in real-time about the service deadline, by counting down the remaining mileage before service. I do suppose (my X1 isn't near that service time yet) that as in other Beemers a specific icon will start to flash when you get very close to service time.

As for a service manual... Gee, there are a few books delivered with the car, if it ain't in it go ask one to your dealer and then !

I'm not sure about your comment on tire pressure.... In Oz and elsewhere there is a reference grid on the door jamb and that's that. Check your tires and if they are overinflated adjust accordingly.
      02-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
bjotings
Norway
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss2010 View Post
Guys,
Whats the deal with X1 servicing ? When do we know its time for a service ? There doesnt appear to be a service manual as well ?

Service interval is 30.000 km or 2 years. Your car will tell you when it is time for service. The IDrive system have a menu on the status of your car including tire preassure.

And run flat tyre pressure ....pressure seems pretty high in the factory ones to what it says in the manual ?
Service manual say nothing on tyre pressure. Look inside the front door on the drivers side and you will get your info!

RE
BT
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjotings View Post
Look inside the front door on the drivers side and you will get your info!

RE
BT
That's what I was saying bro....
      02-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
ss2010
Rep
Drives: x1

yes what i meant was( i should have been more clear ) the actual tyre pressure is much more than what it says inside the front door of drivers side ..is it usual ...i have seen the same with my other car as well ...they always seem more than what the manufacturer suggests...

u guys have the service log book ?

the dealer sales guy is not much help ...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

It is a common practice in all car manufactures to over-inflate the tyres right out of the factory. This is because they want to avoid creating flat spots in the tyre during the "holding" period. The car can be sitting in the factory warehouse for a while, then on a ship for a few weeks, and on the dealer lot (ready stock) for a while before a customer takes it home. In extreme cases, we could be talking about 1-2 years!

It is important to get the pressures back to factory specs when you collect the car from dealer. You do not want to run on over-inflated tyres for a long period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss2010 View Post
yes what i meant was( i should have been more clear ) the actual tyre pressure is much more than what it says inside the front door of drivers side ..is it usual ...i have seen the same with my other car as well ...they always seem more than what the manufacturer suggests...

u guys have the service log book ?

the dealer sales guy is not much help ...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 02:42 AM   #7
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggie View Post
It is a common practice in all car manufactures to over-inflate the tyres right out of the factory. This is because they want to avoid creating flat spots in the tyre during the "holding" period. The car can be sitting in the factory warehouse for a while, then on a ship for a few weeks, and on the dealer lot (ready stock) for a while before a customer takes it home. In extreme cases, we could be talking about 1-2 years!

It is important to get the pressures back to factory specs when you collect the car from dealer. You do not want to run on over-inflated tyres for a long period of time.
Douggie is absolutely right.

This should be part of the prep procedures for the dealer before delivering a new car. You do pay for prep after all, so this is very poor service you got from whoever you bought the car from. Somebody's not been reading his New Vehicle Preparation check-list properly !!

Go back and whine, you might get a few goodies and an apology. It's not a cheap Asian piece of junk you have bought !
      02-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
melts
Enlisted Member
Singapore
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Douggie is absolutely right.

This should be part of the prep procedures for the dealer before delivering a new car. You do pay for prep after all, so this is very poor service you got from whoever you bought the car from. Somebody's not been reading his New Vehicle Preparation check-list properly !!

Go back and whine, you might get a few goodies and an apology. It's not a cheap Asian piece of junk you have bought !
I, too, didn't get a prep procedure on the tires. To be fair, the guy said he'll speak to me during the collection, but in our 'over' excitement, we forgot to ask him afterwards.

Checked the grid on the driver side but haven't got a chance to check the pressure as yet.

By the way, feeling that the car is a little bumpy and read somewhere that RFT requires the suspension to be a little firmer (hence the bumpy ride). What's your take on this folks?

One more question: some folks have changed their RFT to normal tires and experienced better mileage compared to RFT… but I've read somewhere that using normal tires would result in the indicator not being accurate… is that true?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by melts View Post
I, too, didn't get a prep procedure on the tires. To be fair, the guy said he'll speak to me during the collection, but in our 'over' excitement, we forgot to ask him afterwards.

Checked the grid on the driver side but haven't got a chance to check the pressure as yet.

By the way, feeling that the car is a little bumpy and read somewhere that RFT requires the suspension to be a little firmer (hence the bumpy ride). What's your take on this folks?

One more question: some folks have changed their RFT to normal tires and experienced better mileage compared to RFT… but I've read somewhere that using normal tires would result in the indicator not being accurate… is that true?
Couldn't tell the difference on a Mini Clubman between RFT and regular ones.

What "indicator" are you referring to ?

Not sure changing to regular tires makes a noticeable difference in mileage. If you lease the car, the only issue will be with the lease company which will expect to have RFTs on the car upon return if it had been RFT-equipped originally.
Also -but you want to check with your local MOT/DOT or whatever it is called in your neck of the woods- the same type of tires as originally installed might be requested for passing inspection.
      02-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
nathan35
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18d

Quote:

Seems you're not the first one to ask questions about RFT, check these threads:

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462209

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466750

Last edited by nathan35; 02-27-2011 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #11
melts
Enlisted Member
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan35 View Post
Seems you're not the first one to ask questions about RFT, check these threads:

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462209

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466750
Thanks nathan35. I think I will probably do the same and use normal tires instead when my RFT runs flat!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #12
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Then don't forget to get yourself a spare tire or a couple of cans of foam...
      03-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #13
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

I suggest we should start mentioning the brand of run flat tyres that come with our cars. There are a few brands of run flat tyres available in the market, and I'm sure there are differences in performance and comfort, just like the normal ones. Not sure if Bmw has standardized the tyres for all x1's, but at least this will make sure we're on the same page when commenting on tyres.

Mine came with Pirelli Cinturato P7's, run flats.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 05:56 AM   #14
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:

Nope, don't think there is any difference in suspension setup. I have two sets of tyres for my X1, RFT summer tyres and non-RFT winter tyres. A lot has been said about the comfort of RFTs but I can tell you I cannot feel any difference between the two on 17" rims. Historically though the RFT's have been harder as they have much thicker tyre side walls.

Quote:

Again, I have found the opposite to be true. My Goodyear winter non-RFTs are giving me a slightly higher consumption than my Pirelli summer RFT's. This could be because I also run the heaters, etc more in winter so on a whole I would say no difference.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 07:19 AM   #15
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Welcome back Mario !
      03-02-2011, 07:33 AM   #16
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Welcome back Mario !
Thanks, been up north to the Highlands hunting for snow. Not much luck though. Found plenty of mud and will post some pics soon.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #17
Kwagga
Registered
South Africa
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0d X drive

Smile

Guys,

The tyre pressure info says front 2.2 kPa (front) and 2.6 kPa(rear) - 225/50/17. Our X1 came out with Pirelli Cinturato P7 RF's. We have done 25K km up to date. I check tyre pressure at leat 3 times a month.

Upon last check saw the shoulders of both front tyres looks worn, inside and outside. Actually needs to be replaced. So do we have a wheel alignment problem? Driving feedback does not give that impression. Or is 2.2 kPa to low?

The rear set is significantly more worn in the middle. The shoulders are still in great shape. I understand this suggests over-inflation. Is it then possible that the prescribed pressures should be adjusted ?

We drive about 70 km for 6 days a week of which 50 km are on the free way.
I'll be taking the X1 to the dealership first and will take it from there.

What sort of mileage can one expect from runflats ?

I will appreciate any suggestions / advice.
Kwagga

Last edited by Kwagga; 06-12-2011 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #18
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Kwagga, welcome to the forum, I'm in SA too. Not too sure about runflat mileage, but I'm not very surprised at your description of the front tyres - remember you have permanent 4-wheel drive, so the front wheels have to drive and steer at the same time.

I have a sDrive18i, rear-wheel drive of-course, and I've only done under 4k. But 25k does seem a bit quick to replace your tyres. I'd say visit a Tiger Wheel outlet for advice (they should have runflat expertise) - and then compare what they say to your BMW dealer.

I have the same Pirellis - I think these are X1 standard globally.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #19
danintas
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 30d Xline

My X1 came with Goodyear runflats - built in April 2011.

The demonstrator I test drove had Pirellis.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #20
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 S20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by danintas View Post
My X1 came with Goodyear runflats - built in April 2011.

The demonstrator I test drove had Pirellis.
Are the Goodyear's softer than the Pirelli's (noise, handling confort)?

Mines ares Pirelli Cinturato P7 ROF. The rear ones last for 50.000 Km. Now i must change. Tinking on ROF Goodyear Efficiente Grip or Non ROF Hankook Ventus V12. Dont know what to do yet......

Last edited by Xeins; 06-13-2011 at 06:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #21
danintas
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 30d Xline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeins View Post
Are the Goodyear's softer than the Pirelli's (noise, handling confort)?

Mines ares Pirelli Cinturato P7 ROF. The rear ones last for 50.000 Km. Now i must change. Tinking on ROF Goodyear Efficiente Grip or Non ROF Hankook Ventus V12. Dont know what to do yet......
Its a bit hard to tell ... the demo had 17" wheels whereas my car has 18" wheels, which I was expecting would give a slightly firmer ride (which they have, but still comfortable).

The Goodyears on my car are the EfficientGrips.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 08:03 AM   #22
bacchaebabe
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive23d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwagga View Post
Guys,

The tyre pressure info says front 2.2 kPa (front) and 2.6 kPa(rear) - 225/50/17. Our X1 came out with Pirelli Cinturato P7 RF's. We have done 25K km up to date. I check tyre pressure at leat 3 times a month.

Upon last check saw the shoulders of both front tyres looks worn, inside and outside. Actually needs to be replaced. So do we have a wheel alignment problem? Driving feedback does not give that impression. Or is 2.2 kPa to low?

The rear set is significantly more worn in the middle. The shoulders are still in great shape. I understand this suggests over-inflation. Is it then possible that the prescribed pressures should be adjusted ?

We drive about 70 km for 6 days a week of which 50 km are on the free way.
I'll be taking the X1 to the dealership first and will take it from there.

What sort of mileage can one expect from runflats ?

I will appreciate any suggestions / advice.
Kwagga
This is why I immediately swapped to normal tyres from run flats. Just too many stories of the tyres wearing well before one would expect them to and I don't have the time or inclination to be anal about checking the pressure twice a month as recommended.

My car came with RF P7s and I swapped them for Non RF P7s
Appreciate 0