XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-21-2012, 05:02 AM   #1
sflmb206
Rep
Drives: Bmw X1 18d sdrive m-sport

BMW X1 8 Month Review

In the begin of July 2011 I purchased a new BMW X1 18d sdrive M-Sport in space grey with a few extra's (front and rear parking sensors, 18 inch alloys, USB for ipod, bluetooth, met paint, auto lights and wipers). It has now done 6500 miles. My view of of this car, it's the biggest pile of c@#p I have ever purchased!
From day one my parking sensors haven't work correctly, they will pick up a plant leaf moving in the wind but not a brick wall and my friendly local dealership doesn't know how to fix them and has refused to do anymore work on them.
4 months ago I had my 2nd clutch fitted, a modified clutch which was made in Germany because every time I pulled away from a junction the car would judder like crazy, which know needs replacing again as the juddering is back and I have been told if it is replaced again I may have to pay for it.
Within the last few months intermittionly I have had a warning come up on the dash when I start the car. I have looked the warning (yellow key with a line through it) up in the handbook and it tells me I have inserted the wrong key, but the engine will start everytime, I have told my local dealership who tells me "they all do that, why, who knows"
What is it with auto lights and winter, I have auto lights that will only turn off if I turn them off manually or turn the engine off. My good old dealership says it is 'the winter blue sky effect' and all BMW's with auto lights have the same problem, the 3 previous 3series I had with auto lights never had this problem.
I've left the best to last. Within a fews days of picking up my car from the dealership I had to fill the washer bottle up as it was empty (dealership forgot to fill it) and noticed a quite a few of the engine parts where covered in rust. Again I spoke to my local dealership who told me they all do that and the only way to deal with it is to next time buy a X1 with a bigger engine cover. Within the last few days I have just recieved a written reply from BMW via my local dealership telling me that rust will protect and do no damage.
I have spoken to BMW direct about these things and all I get from them is "we stand by whatever your dealership says".
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 05:40 AM   #2
DieselDamo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435d Xdrive convertible

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflmb206 View Post
In the begin of July 2011 I purchased a new BMW X1 18d sdrive M-Sport in space grey with a few extra's (front and rear parking sensors, 18 inch alloys, USB for ipod, bluetooth, met paint, auto lights and wipers). It has now done 6500 miles. My view of of this car, it's the biggest pile of c@#p I have ever purchased!
From day one my parking sensors haven't work correctly, they will pick up a plant leaf moving in the wind but not a brick wall and my friendly local dealership doesn't know how to fix them and has refused to do anymore work on them.
4 months ago I had my 2nd clutch fitted, a modified clutch which was made in Germany because every time I pulled away from a junction the car would judder like crazy, which know needs replacing again as the juddering is back and I have been told if it is replaced again I may have to pay for it.
Within the last few months intermittionly I have had a warning come up on the dash when I start the car. I have looked the warning (yellow key with a line through it) up in the handbook and it tells me I have inserted the wrong key, but the engine will start everytime, I have told my local dealership who tells me "they all do that, why, who knows"
What is it with auto lights and winter, I have auto lights that will only turn off if I turn them off manually or turn the engine off. My good old dealership says it is 'the winter blue sky effect' and all BMW's with auto lights have the same problem, the 3 previous 3series I had with auto lights never had this problem.
I've left the best to last. Within a fews days of picking up my car from the dealership I had to fill the washer bottle up as it was empty (dealership forgot to fill it) and noticed a quite a few of the engine parts where covered in rust. Again I spoke to my local dealership who told me they all do that and the only way to deal with it is to next time buy a X1 with a bigger engine cover. Within the last few days I have just recieved a written reply from BMW via my local dealership telling me that rust will protect and do no damage.
I have spoken to BMW direct about these things and all I get from them is "we stand by whatever your dealership says".

find another dealership that will help you then , and on the clutch there's a guide to stop the juddering on here somewhere ,
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 x Drive 2.0L D

Sflmb - I feel for you it's not nice spending all that money and having issues. I am enjoying my X1, which I know is of no help to you but 'the parking sensors are great, so good I often dont even need to look behind, I use the screen. A good dealer should be able to make them work like they are meant to, and again with the clutch, if it's not working and in warranty it's BMW who will fix it, not much you can do so I am with DD on this, find another dealer if possable for a second chance. I have no problem with my lights being on, it's not like they cost a fortune to run, but the warning light on dash would annoy me and again BMW should be able to reset this on a computer. As for the water bottle mine froze and BMW tell me its a factory fill at build not done as part of PDI. Not sure what BMW mean by buying an X1 with a bigger engine cover ! sounds funny to me.
Good luck with your fight, you did pay the money so should get value for it...

Last edited by Blue Bottle; 02-21-2012 at 07:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
offthehook
Rep
Drives: X1

Sorry to hear this. Wondering if this is typical?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflmb206 View Post
As someone about to take delivery of an 2012 X1 M sport, this is experience is concerning. Any other members with 6+months of ownership willing to share a quick review?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
DrawingArt
Private
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320dT xDrive M-Sport

17 months now ... 27500 km on clock xDrive20dA without any bugs, problems ... Perfect ride! 2000km more and first service, oil change and all ...
      02-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
Adgl
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive 18D SE

I've done 9000 miles in my 18xdrive since October and it's utterly been fault free and a pleasure to drive. Parking sensors work fine and the only only thing I could fault with them is trying to distinguish between the two tones when reversing out of a very tight garage space when they're both going off simultaneously. My auto lights were on constantly at first but there's a setting that can turn off daylight running lights. My dealer might be as bad as yours but I've not had to go there since picking up the car. If they prove to be as unresponsive as yours I'd do as others have suggested and go elsewhere. Things can only get better for you and I hope they do.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
danintas
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 30d Xline

No issues at all with my 23d after 17,000 kms
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 30d M Sport

X1 18d Sdrive MY10 with 22000 miles on the clock.

Lots of niggels in 7 months ownership.

1) Clutch judder. Now fixed, but clutch operation very springy. Biting point seems to change also.

2) Timing belt and pulley worn. Caused a horrible shh shh shh noise. Now fixed.

3) Door, dashboard, tailgate rattles and vibrations. There's so many now I've given up trying to pin point them. Been in the dealers twice and not fixed.

4) Heating issues. If I use the face vents in 'all zones' climate control mode, the drivers side gets cold after 45 mins. It's always 45 mins. Spin the temp dial up to over 28oc and it warms up. Not fixed.

5) Engine stuttering. 4 times the engine has lost power and felt like it was running on 3 cylinders. Not fixed or fault found by dealer.

Apart from the above it's Ok. However... the car was £28300 new and I would have been totally pi**sed off by now if I'd bought it from new.

Just my opinion, but making me think twice about BMW quality.

J.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 01:41 AM   #9
DrawingArt
Private
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320dT xDrive M-Sport

As we all saw, MY2010 had bunch of problems and bugs, still they have but BMW fixed everything from MY2011 which I have. I do not no one that has X1 here that had any issues with MY2011 ... a lot of problems with MY2010 tho...
      02-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
DWB1873
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d xDrive Auto

13 months and 6000 miles for me - only issues have been the drivers side rattle when the car is cold.

Interesting that, anecdotally , it seems its the S-drive 1.8 that gives the most problems.

As an owner of a X-drive 20d I have yet to experience pretty much any of the issues reported about clutches, brakes, rust, missing bits etc.

I like my X1. I'd buy another one.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #11
BMWDave
Totally Add1cted
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive23d

Garage List
2011 BMW X1 23d  [7.66]
11 months, 10,000kms xdrive23d. It's probably the best all-round car I've ever owned. My park sensors are great - in combination with the reverse camera, I don't even turn around to reverse and never hit anything. Engine just keeps getting better - it drives almost like a petrol but with better economy. Mine's been "softroading" several times on the fine sands of Western Australia and it's a doddle to drive - plenty of torque and enough traction to not be too embarassed when compared against the "real" 4wd's out there. It's the perfect size for me - I carry four adults, bags and dog all in comfort. I swapped out of a brand new 135i for my X1 and don't regret it. What it lacks in speed it more than makes up for in versatility. It even corners pretty good for a SUV (SAV in BMW speak!). I'd happily buy another and have recommended them to friends. Love my X1.
      02-23-2012, 03:47 AM   #12
BitScribbler
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWB1873 View Post
13 months and 6000 miles for me - only issues have been the drivers side rattle when the car is cold.

Interesting that, anecdotally , it seems its the S-drive 1.8 that gives the most problems.

As an owner of a X-drive 20d I have yet to experience pretty much any of the issues reported about clutches, brakes, rust, missing bits etc.

I like my X1. I'd buy another one.
X-drive 20d, 11 months and 11,000 miles. Repeat as quoted (including the door rattle!). I'd buy another one too.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 04:16 AM   #13
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d MSport

2 year ownership of my 'fully loaded' 23d MSport, 14,000 miles and no problems other than a faulty windscreen seal when new.

Parking sensors work as designed and that's even with having them removed and painted as part of the retro fit of the M Sport body panels....and that's where we anticipated problems before the work!

My earlier Porsche aside, the X1 is one of the best cars that I've owned. It's the 'right' size, handles very well with it's sports suspension, 18" wheels and run flats, and is economical to run and tax. The proof? If I had not thought it this good I would not have paid BMW Performance to carry out the M Sport body modifications and it would have been traded in at a year old.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #14
dafblue
Rep
Drives: 2010 x1 20sdrive

14 months old 10000 miles, back into dealer 10 times for clutch and fuel flap problems!
This is my 5th new BM, prob my last as reliabilty of BM`s is getting so bad and yes the dealer will sort the problems under warenty but who wants to be running back to garage regulary with "THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE"!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 12:28 AM   #15
slcmjames
China
Rep
Drives: mini cooper s/x1 28i L6

6months by now, 10500kms in china, 1/3 on express way, so far so good. L6, 28i, speeding a couple of times at 220km/h, feels good. much more comfortable than my mini cooper s.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 11:53 PM   #16
sflmb206
Rep
Drives: Bmw X1 18d sdrive m-sport

I also forgot to mention, what is it with the fuel economy with 18d s-drives? It costs me about £100 to fill it up and I can only do about 30mpg around town and 40 ish on a good run. I have checked the tyre pressures and taken out any unwanted items out of the car but still can't better these figures. BMW claim 45mpg around town and 54 mpg on a good run, I think they must pick these numbers from the sky!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 03:04 AM   #17
BitScribbler
United Kingdom
Rep

Well, I get around 45mpg from my 20d X-drive. If I got your figures I'd be back to the dealer!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 04:27 AM   #18
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 30d M Sport

My 18d (22.5k miles) gets used everyday Mon to Fri. I do a 100 mile round trip with B, A, Dual Carriage and Motorway driving. Sometimes stuck in traffic (M25) for hours.

I put in £60 of fuel at a time (£82 roughly to fill her up at £1.43) and get 480 to 500 miles out of the £60. My MPG gauge is currently showing 52.3, but in warmer weather has shown 53, 54 and even 55.4 once!

I don't drive the car fast, use the stop/start all the time and coast out of gear whenever I can.

If I do have to drive locally for a bit (say I'm on leave for a week) the amount of miles I get from my £60 is dramatically reduced, yet the MPG gauge may only drop by 1 mile.

J.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 05:39 AM   #19
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Have to say that my 18d sDrive has been brilliant, had a couple of E91's and find this a much nicer all round package.
The only issue I have had is the clutch, but had the new clutch and flywheel fitted and it is now great.

I am at 26k miles in mine and not missed a beat. MPG averaging 46 which is pretty good as an average I reckon.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #20
fpm14
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 x1

Picked up a 2012 X1 for the wife after trading in her Suzuki Grand Vitara cause I thought it used too much gas - well guess what, it turns out the X1 only 4 cylinder uses MORE, plus it must use 91octane which costs more. Overall, I love the car, but gas mileage is nowhere close to advertised. I am seriously thinking of trading it in. Only have 2300kms on it and filled the tank 6 times already - NOT very impressive.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #21
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

You haven't even got close to running it in yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 05:57 AM   #22
snowmanyee
Enlisted Member
Rep

Why bother about gas when you buy a bimmer and why bother to buy a bimmer when you worry about gas? Heck the gas and enjoy your great ride! Bmw is about performance and handling. Thats my opinion. I am enjoying my ride.
Appreciate 0