XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

06-27-2021, 08:49 PM   #1
Jonathan0880
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 Xdrive

Adding INVERTER, any special precautions?

I'm super stoked on adding a 1000W inverter to my X1 camper build out, I'm just wondering if this is a plug and play deal with the X1 or is it more involved?, I notice the little accessory posts on the battery harness but I understand these batteries are "programmed" or "registered" so I'm wondering if adding the inverter would cause any electrical issues or codes to come up?? anyone have any experience with this?

Side note:

Anyone good with bimmercode? I just got the dongle but have yet to dive into the app, I'm a little apprehensive TBH. I'd love to be able to code out the rear tail hatch interior light from turning on AND possibly the dome lights when the doors are left open, obviously this would be to save on the battery....
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 11:49 PM   #2
chance91
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 335d

When they say batteries are "coded" or registered, all this does is tell the DME and other control units the health of the battery, and this affects the charging rate from the alternator. There isn't really anything "smart" related to the battery and terminals/posts. On the positive side, there are numerous fusible links between the post and where those clip-in wires attach. As well, there is a small connector around the post itself that will "blow" in a vehicle crash disconnecting the battery.

The only thing I would recommend is trying to attatch your positive cable to these fusible links vs directly to the terminal. To do this you would possibly need a connector to plug into the terminal block thing. Either order or snag from a JY from basically any E-series bmw.

amazon link

On the app, I use Protool, which is similar but can't really help w/bimmercode. Went with protool because it can VO code.
2005 MX-5 LS swap
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 09:32 PM   #3
Jonathan0880
Private
Rep

Hmmm...where would I attach the inverter cables in this scenario..?? anyone have any experience doing this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 03:16 PM   #4
chance91
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Personally my preference would be to get the plug and install it between the blue and black connector, those are fused connections.

I can't recall if the bolt (second from left in the photo above) is also fused, but I believe it is not.

The red cable going from the battery to the connection on the right, is the one with the explosive disconnect, in the event of an accident it disconnects, which is that assembly upper left of photo.
2005 MX-5 LS swap
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 04:40 PM   #5
Jonathan0880
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance91 View Post
Personally my preference would be to get the plug and install it between the blue and black connector, those are fused connections.

I can't recall if the bolt (second from left in the photo above) is also fused, but I believe it is not.

The red cable going from the battery to the connection on the right, is the one with the explosive disconnect, in the event of an accident it disconnects, which is that assembly upper left of photo.
Cool, thanks for the input...after thinking about this, I'll probably bring it into my mechanic or BMW dealership to install this, just so I'm covered if anything goes wrong... but also, I might just go with a portable battery station anyway, they're all the rage these days for overlanding and camping... that way, no worry of running the vehicle battery down etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 08:36 PM   #6
chance91
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan0880 View Post
Cool, thanks for the input...after thinking about this, I'll probably bring it into my mechanic or BMW dealership to install this, just so I'm covered if anything goes wrong... but also, I might just go with a portable battery station anyway, they're all the rage these days for overlanding and camping... that way, no worry of running the vehicle battery down etc.
Well, If you weren't in Canada, I'd snip one and send it to you. Those cables are easy to find in any 2004+ BMW battery compartment. Check out your local pick and pull and see if they will let you in with a tin snips.

I hope I'm not making it seem like a big deal, but you could just attach it to the second lug as well. I just happen to know those other terminals are fused and easy to tap w/oem connectors.
2005 MX-5 LS swap
Appreciate 0