XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-19-2018, 02:55 PM   #23
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I doubt the Elio will ever make it to production. Elio (the owner) decided to make his own engine, which probably killed the company. He's even farther behind Tesla with the Model 3.
Yea, I think that company is F'd. I was following them on Facebook and getting email updates and they went very dry... no recent news.
      02-19-2018, 08:01 PM   #24
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Yea, I think that company is F'd. I was following them on Facebook and getting email updates and they went very dry... no recent news.
He should have targeted $15K as the price and used an existing 3 cylinder, like Ford's 1L. He might have gotten some funding. Motor development is extremely expensive.

I was ready to get one. I'd be perfect for me. I could use the VA HOV lane on RT 66 and I have a MC endorsement. Oh well.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 09:27 PM   #25
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
He should have targeted $15K as the price and used an existing 3 cylinder, like Ford's 1L. He might have gotten some funding. Motor development is extremely expensive.

I was ready to get one. I'd be perfect for me. I could use the VA HOV lane on RT 66 and I have a MC endorsement. Oh well.
yea, its too bad... it would be an awesome car out here. HOV access (like i have become accustomed to in my electric smart car), no helmet because it is enclosed, and no dreaded smog because it is a "motorcycle."
engine development is a nightmare... where was the board to slap that idea down? at least save that for the 2nd gen. what a complete idiot.
      02-19-2018, 11:38 PM   #26
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post
How bout a first gen high mileage S2k?

The S2000 can be a cheap commuter and cheap track car at the same time.

Anyhow, I’m in the same boat too... my Chevy Spark EV lease is up in 2 months and am also looking at different commuter cars to replace it for my 25 mile each way commute. Similar criteria as you, EV, and cheaper to commute in than either my M3 or FJ (when you factor in gas, toll roads, maintenance, depreciation). However I need some kind of semi autonomous driving features cause even with HOV access I’m only going 5 mph.

Rather than lease my next commuter car I might just buy a Honda Clarity PHEV and just drive it to the ground... you can get a top of the line Touring model for $25k to $26k after your $7500 fed rebate + $450 SCE rebate + ($2500 state rebate if your income qualifies it)... and it’s a Honda so you know it will be a very very very long time to drive it to the ground.
let me know what you do and what you're able to negotiate. i know you got a great deal on your spark... if i remember correctly, you did even better than i did on your lease.
i found a chevy bolt for $0 down/$380mo/10k miles. they get a 230 mile range. there is a diminishing return the higher the price goes though, and i'm reluctant to pull the trigger on that.
the smart dealer is trying to eat my lunch for $1,400 down, $150 a month, and i don't even really like the new model.
i've taken a liking to electric cars. i might just find a lower mileage smart like mine for $5k on craigslist. i'd buy mine, but the residual is like $12k and it is worth about $3,500 i with the mileage i put on it (she's going back with 30,000 miles lol).
      02-20-2018, 04:28 AM   #27
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yea, its too bad... it would be an awesome car out here. HOV access (like i have become accustomed to in my electric smart car), no helmet because it is enclosed, and no dreaded smog because it is a "motorcycle."
engine development is a nightmare... where was the board to slap that idea down? at least save that for the 2nd gen. what a complete idiot.
I think there is a decent market for a vehicle like the Elio. What I don't understand is Polaris. They basically have the chassis already developed with the Slingshot. They just need to put a different, enclosed body on it. It's close now with the Grand Touring LE.

I liked Elio's design of the fighter jet cockpit better than the Polaris set up. Elio was so close...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 05:46 AM   #28
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

yea, i saw that. snooped around on their forums for a little bit the other night. i can't do an open top 1/2 motorcycle thing... just doesn't fit in.
i can sell the elio to the wife though... small and cheap enough to make it work. even if the engine was garbage, i'd still buy it and put something reliable in it.
      02-20-2018, 09:41 PM   #29
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Quote:

Anyhow, I’m in the same boat too... my Chevy Spark EV lease is up in 2 months and am also looking at different commuter cars to replace it for my 25 mile each way commute. Similar criteria as you, EV, and cheaper to commute in than either my M3 or FJ (when you factor in gas, toll roads, maintenance, depreciation). However I need some kind of semi autonomous driving features cause even with HOV access I’m only going 5 mph.

Rather than lease my next commuter car I might just buy a Honda Clarity PHEV and just drive it to the ground... you can get a top of the line Touring model for $25k to $26k after your $7500 fed rebate + $450 SCE rebate + ($2500 state rebate if your income qualifies it)... and it’s a Honda so you know it will be a very very very long time to drive it to the ground.
let me know what you do and what you're able to negotiate. i know you got a great deal on your spark... if i remember correctly, you did even better than i did on your lease.
i found a chevy bolt for $0 down/$380mo/10k miles. they get a 230 mile range. there is a diminishing return the higher the price goes though, and i'm reluctant to pull the trigger on that.
the smart dealer is trying to eat my lunch for $1,400 down, $150 a month, and i don't even really like the new model.
i've taken a liking to electric cars. i might just find a lower mileage smart like mine for $5k on craigslist. i'd buy mine, but the residual is like $12k and it is worth about $3,500 i with the mileage i put on it (she's going back with 30,000 miles lol).
Quote:
Quote:

You're easier than me cause you're not looking for any driving assistance.

Unless you see any dealer specials in the Sunday paper or any deals on leasehacker... here's the best I've found if you don't need much range & you just want to lease.
- that smart lease is the cheapest... but you might want to look into a fiat 500e lease.
- I think next cheapest is a Clarity BEV; 89 mile range; 20,000 miles allowed per year; $899 down and $199 a mos... also has Honda's Honda sense which is level 2 autonomy
- creviae BMW has a single i3 Rex (so that's electric plus a small range extending generator) I think it's $209 a mos and $3999 down... but at the total cost of that, might as well spring a little more and get a used i3 rex. But then you'll be at just under $20k at that point so it's going to be better to get a Clarity PHEV base model & use it as a beater for the next 10+ years...
I bet you can get that for $22 to $23k after you negotiate the price down plus take into account the $7500 fed rebate and $450 SCE rebate. (I was able to negotiate a clarity PHEV touring model from $37k to $33,788... so a base can be had even cheaper then subtract the $7500 + $450)

I think the days of cheap EV leases are over.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11571.50
      02-20-2018, 09:58 PM   #30
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

You're easier than me cause you're not looking for any driving assistance.

Unless you see any dealer specials in the Sunday paper or any deals on leasehacker... here's the best I've found if you don't need much range & you just want to lease.
- that smart lease is the cheapest... but you might want to look into a fiat 500e lease.
- I think next cheapest is a Clarity BEV; 89 mile range; 20,000 miles allowed per year; $899 down and $199 a mos... also has Honda's Honda sense which is level 2 autonomy
- creviae BMW has a single i3 Rex (so that's electric plus a small range extending generator) I think it's $209 a mos and $3999 down... but at the total cost of that, might as well spring a little more and get a used i3 rex. But then you'll be at just under $20k at that point so it's going to be better to get a Clarity PHEV base model & use it as a beater for the next 10+ years...
I bet you can get that for $22 to $23k after you negotiate the price down plus take into account the $7500 fed rebate and $450 SCE rebate. (I was able to negotiate a clarity PHEV touring model from $37k to $33,788... so a base can be had even cheaper then subtract the $7500 + $450)

I think the days of cheap EV leases are over.
Have you looked into the bolt? Has great features.

I can't bring myself to do $4k down for an i3. The more I look, the more I'm thinking I'm going to buy a slightly used 2015 smart electric for $5k. I have really taken a liking to this car.
      02-20-2018, 10:10 PM   #31
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I already got my $450 Edison rebate for doing nothing...

02-20-2018, 10:28 PM   #32
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I already got my $450 Edison rebate for doing nothing...

I wish the Bolt already had supercruise trickle down from Cadillac already.

Anyhow maybe you can try this deal at Simpson Chevrolet in Irvine... it's for a Volt but at least you get enough EV range to be all electric in your commute.

Btw is that $450 a one time thing? Or per EV car?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 10:51 PM   #33
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

For some reason, I'm turned off by plug in hybrids... I'd do either one or the other.
      02-21-2018, 10:08 AM   #34
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:

Anyhow maybe you can try this deal at Simpson Chevrolet in Irvine... it's for a Volt but at least you get enough EV range to be all electric in your commute.

Holy shit, that's borderline GIVING it away. INSANE.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 02:16 PM   #35
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Here's something to consider... just need to keep it long term to be worth it

https://www.insideedison.com/stories...ce=scehomepage

So $10k off the price of the i3 plus another $7500 from fed and $450 from sce just for having a green car.

That's almost $18k off and sure to drive prices down on used ones as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 04:45 PM   #36
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
You can't get any cheaper than a Fiat 500e. Leases for <$100 a month. Not a great car to keep, but it's quirky and Italian, so lots of personality.

Out of the box: used LS500. Huge well equipped luxury car that rivals the 7 series for $20k. Just avoid the air suspension and maintenance will be relatively painless.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 04:48 PM   #37
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:

WTH is an Asian car lease incentive?!

That looks like an awesome deal though. My i3 is up in a few months. Hmmm...

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 04:51 PM   #38
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Here's something to consider... just need to keep it long term to be worth it

https://www.insideedison.com/stories...ce=scehomepage

So $10k off the price of the i3 plus another $7500 from fed and $450 from sce just for having a green car.

That's almost $18k off and sure to drive prices down on used ones as well.

yeah... too bad it's for purchases only. I wonder if you can get a dealer to buy the car as a demo, take the $10k deal and pass it on to the leaser?

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 09:18 AM   #39
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

How bout this

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F282867445855

It's an all electric conversion...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 11:34 AM   #40
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
How bout this

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F282867445855

It's an all electric conversion...
Might still catch fire.
      03-13-2018, 05:40 AM   #41
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Might still catch fire.
Well not really... The GT 2.8L engine never caught fire. Only the Iron Duke due to a combo of improperly tolerance'd rod bearings and an incorrectly calibrated dipstick.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 09:42 PM   #42
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Ended up buying a slightly used smart electric. Very happy!
Attached Images